National Gun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Country Dad
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just would like to know what would the best round to use? 40s&w.. Thank You

Ammo Type.. Corbon, federal. You know, it goes on and on!

G

·
If your weapon has a 4" barrel or less.. You might want to consider Speers Gold Dot Short Barrel Ammo .40, it
is high pressure so there is no need nor is it available in +p . This of course just for personal carry protection.

It has a special deep throat for the bullet and a different powder with a quality CCI primer. It will run you better than $24.00 for a box of 20 (or very close) but a top notch ammo in all regards. Just remember this will be the ammo that just might save a life. Certainly worth a couple of dollars extra. In two weeks it will be of no concern.

I spoke with one of the actual developers at Speers about the ammo. Just quality from start to end.

Let us know how it works out for you!

·
Country Dad
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, Im looking for carry ammo. There's so many Out there. I have no clue where to start, and its not like its cheap enough to just go out and buy some and see how they shoot, I have a PT140, (4in barrel) Thanks for you reply

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I like the cor-bon brand, hydra-shok and winchester silvertips. I have not been disappointed with any of them for defense and accruacy. They run well in all my guns.

For practice I will use reloads if I can or find the "deal" at WalMart.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I like Hydra Shoks personally but you should shoot as many brands as you can to see what your gun likes. Some brands perform poorly in some guns but seem to "marry" other guns. Then you can start target shooting with FMJ's after you found your defense round, but shoot your defense rounds now and then to make sure you know how they act. BTW welcome to the forum Country Dad!

·
Country Dad
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply, Well Im kinda leaning toward the Hydra Shoks, A few friends of my use Hydra Shoks as there carry ammo and they have nothing to bad to say at all about them. I quess this weekend Ill go buy a box and see how they fit my PT140.

Thanks for the Reply.

Aim Small. Shoot Small.

G

·
I have a Taurus Millennium PT140 Pro with a 3 1/4 inch barrel & I use Winchester Ranger. Ranger works well in my Taurus & Cabela's sells it for $14.99 per box of 50. I'm sure some of these other suggestions are great & are probably a little higher in quality.

I use Golden Sabre in my .380 auto & that round seems to function well.

-Matt

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
How do you like that Taurus, Matt?

I had a hard time shooting mine consistently.

·
Country Dad
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love my taures, Its never gave me problems, Pretty Much I aim, and shoot what I wanna hit, The gun only works as good as the person can shoot. I wouldnt trade my pt140 for anything..

G

·
i see no one has mentioned winchester rangers.

thats what i carry, IF im carring my 40 (not usually).

there's the whole "the cops use them"/liability thing if you need to use your pistol in self defence, but thats not my main reason.

i prefer the federal hydra-shoks, but the rangers are going alot cheaper.

imo, if you do need to use it, its all about shot placment. bullet cal/design/weight, ect... are alll secondary to shot placment.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I have carried a Springfield XD Subcompact .40 for years. My preferred carry ammo is Remington Golden Saber 165 grain bonded. I like the entire Golden Saber line.

Best thing you can do is narrow it down to 4 or 5 carry ammo's that have a good reputation and try them all to see what you shoot well, you trust and your gun likes best. You can have two identical guns that are one digit apart in serial number and one will feed a particular ammo well that the other doesn't feed well. For the shorter barrels some good choices are: Remington Golden Saber, Hornady Critical Defense, Underwood Ammo Bonded, Winchester PDX, Winchester Ranger, Federal HTS, Speer Gold Dot, Buffalo Bore, Corbon and many others but that list will give you a good idea.

With a shorter barrel I would stay with a lighter bullet. My preference is 155 to 165 grain in the .40 for a shorter barrel.

·
Super Moderator
5,911 Posts
lol10 year old thread …. Zombie thread!

Reactions: Wag
1 - 15 of 15 Posts