This should be a sticky!

Thanks for posting it!

Reactions: Kobs

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Average penetration for the 9mm over the 39 loads tested was 16.74"

Average penetration for the 45 over the 28 loads tested was 18.92"

If you cherry picked the the extra 11 loads tested for the 9mm the numbers could go up or down.

Overall I'd say the 9mm held it's own very well on the penetration test while roughly giving up an average of 100gr in bullet weight. And actually those numbers are kinda skewed towards some of the 45 offerings since some didn't expand and kept on going.

Great post Fred.:thumbsup:

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
Awesome and very detailed info here great post :thumbsup: i also agree for the sticky

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,160 Posts
Look at the PMC Starfire ammo. Talk about over-penetration! WOW!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Definitely should be a sticky.

These results make it pretty clear that Federal HST is an excellent selection across calibers and bullet weights.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reactions: Mad Scientist

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're anything like me you went straight to the graphs and pictures. The graph is a great feature as many other testing state the results in just numbers.

I think it would be beneficial to read through the entire article as they explain their testing methodology. I'm not a big fan of gelatin but they explain it's a consistent media used to compare and explain synthetic is not as good as organic but is easier to work with which makes comprehensive testing easier.

There have been many other tests done and documented but it looks like these guys did a really good job. They state their opinions and I agree with most of them which is probably why I like this test. I understand these test are not the final word and the ultimate reference but like I said I find it interesting and informative and I see some of you already had favorites and like the validation of their results.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have Hornedy 115 gr self-defense rounds too. I bought 2 25 rounds for lil over $16 each ( factory cartridges, no reloads ). Hornedy is the best, IMHO.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Great info and great find.

I have always liked Golden Saber and they seemed to do well in all tests. I'd like to see the same type of tests done on FMJ Ball ammo. In my smaller, shorter barrel guns like my P2AT or Kimber Super Carry Ultra I still like FMJ S&B. S&B has always done well for me in all calibers and is cheap enough that I can practice with the same ammo I carry.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
It didn't look like any of them expanded.
The main reason my most commonly carried gun is a .45 Kimber 3" Barrel. A 9mm "Might" expand but a .45 will never shrink.

·
Registered
98 Posts
So my Remington 230 gr. HTP didn't even expand. I think I'll be looking into some new ammo.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Give the critical duty a chance too, you wont be disappointed. It is meant to go straight after going through glass, a thing that a lot of hollow points jhp don't do as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Beautiful clear gel pics.Thought they would have included .38 first because it's so popular and so many have snubs where there is a big question with expansion? By the time they come out with that there'll be no ammo available.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Is the 45 federal hst as good as they say it is.
HST is very good ammo but what gun, barrel length? A .45 will sometimes not expand due to the slower velocities. Shorter barrel .45's more so. I cary FMJ S&B in my Kimber 3" barrel and my XD MOD.2 3.3" .45 for that reason.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts