National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who finds themselves shooting more rimfire rounds than centerfire rounds because of the ammo price increases? I know I am. My .45 sits in the safe alot more now than the Mark III and Model 41 do. :evil:

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
I have always been a big fan of 9MM. 9MM Prices are still within reason... but my bigger boys, .357,.44 etc. are seeing a little less action nowadays. But I will say... the ol' .22's have always seen a ton of action. I take my two sons out to the range with me a lot, and they're becoming junkies just like dad :D

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
To Honest I don't shoot my .22's as much as I did when my kids were small. I roll my own ammo and so far my cost hasn't stopped me or slowed me down. Prices on reloading supplies has gone up by about 1/3 since the frist of the year. My most expensive round is my AR-15 but that isn't shot a lot. My 9mm is the cheapest and I load a ton of these and .45ACP's which are not to bad using lead bullets. :D

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
mk70ss said:
Who finds themselves shooting more rimfire rounds than centerfire rounds because of the ammo price increases? I know I am. My .45 sits in the safe alot more now than the Mark III and Model 41 do. :evil:

Spot on. My family owns a Gun Store and let me assure you ammo prices at wholesale cost have went up over 230% in the last 2 years. Right now, we have 50 rounds of plinking ammo for 13.95

We used to sell this at 9.95 easy....

Lets not even GET ON the subject of .45cal

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Travis said:
mk70ss said:

Spot on. My family owns a Gun Store and let me assure you ammo prices at wholesale cost have went up over 230% in the last 2 years. Right now, we have 50 rounds of plinking ammo for 13.95

We used to sell this at 9.95 easy....

Lets not even GET ON the subject of .45cal
:( :( :( :evil: :evil: :evil: : :( :( :(

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I have so many bricks of 22 stashed away at the less that $10 price that my shelves are starting to bow. I am happy that I am a ammo hoarder.

I have loaded up quite a supply of 45 acp at precurrent pricing. Also have a big supply of powder and other goodies. But since going back to work part time I don't have much time to shoot anymore and that sucks.

Maybe I need to retire again.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Now you see why I roll my own. .45ACP's are running me about $5.64 for 50rds. They are selling for $22.00 at the range. That's shooting lead semi wad cutters which cost $37.50 for 500rds. Copper plated bullets cost about twice that. I got a fair stock pile but if it keeps going up I'll have to cut back a little too. I figure when my cost hits $10.00 for 50rds there will not be ahole lot of people shooting .45ACP. -I

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I'm not yet affected by the cost rises, directly. Between the ammo that I've loaded over the years that I've stashed, and the fair amount of components I have acquired, I'm good for now. I sure notice it when I bid a job for a customer, though. That batch of .45-70 I discussed in the Reloading Section ended up costing my customer about $2.60/round and I charged him very little for labor. Between having to purchase new brass and the exorbitant prices for premium bullets, WoW! Then again, if he bought similar loads from Buffalo Bullet or similar, they would have been well over $3.00/rnd.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts