National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure where else to put this thread but here it is. I am starting to look in to finding a cheaper way to shoot. Re-loading isn't an option at this point as I live in a one bedroom apartment, and can't really afford the initial costs of getting into reloading. So I am curious about the best place to get ammo for cheaper than going my local Cabela's or Wal-Mart. I have played around online a little but wanted to see what yall thought about it. Right now I am spending right around $25 per 50 round box.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,723 Posts
What calibers are you looking for?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
It depends. Usually, I can find ammunition online cheaper, even with shipping, than I can in the local shops. But I live a long way from anything that most would consider a full-sized shop.

For instance, XM193 Lake City 5.56 is running around $8 online, and $10-11 in the stores. Hunt for free shipping, and...

You didn't say WHAT was costing you $25 per 50, by the way, so it is tough for those of us who haunt the ammo sites to point out where your particular ammo might be cheaper. Some stores, like Cabelas, have free instore pickup if that is convenient. Others offer free shipping if you spend a certain amount. I have price limits and things I look for, and jump on deals. For instance, I bought 400 rounds of LE packaged quality carry ammo for my .40 a year or so ago for less than 50 cents a round. The commercial packages run about three times that.

One site to keep an eye on is Find 22lr Ammo in stock | WikiArms AmmoEngine - Live Ammo Inventory Tracking. Another is Slickguns | Best deals on guns and ammo posted by users, which also has firearms and accessories, not just ammo.

Also, try to buy in bulk. Ammo doesn't go bad if kept stored carefully.

Reactions: Ziggidy

·
Jesus Saves
8,066 Posts
I do not buy in large quantities but will buy when I can. I have noticed recently that it is a little cheaper to buy online. I usually look for the specials and with a coupon I can get lucky. For example, picked up a box of 38 federal (50) - 17 bucks.....a few other deals also. Sportsmanguide, Gander, Cabelas and such have an occasional free shipping promo and I can always find free shipping to store.

If I go to the store, the same box of federals recently was 5 bucks more.

Here's an example. Sportsmanguide had a special today for 300 38's (Magtech) for 99.00 free shipping. I passed it up.

·
Registered
582 Posts
buy online and in large quantities. Only buy when the websites have free shipping. Some of my favorites are sportsmansguide, copesdistributing, and sometimes midwayusa when they have some sort of promo code running. It will save you quite a bit of money, however, depnding on the caliber I would refrain from purchasing for a few months as it seems to be gradually dropping.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You didn't say WHAT was costing you $25 per 50, by the way, so it is tough for those of us who haunt the ammo sites to point out where your particular ammo might be cheaper...
oops. I was in a little bit of a hurry when I wrote this... I'm mostly looking for .40 S&W and 7.62 x 39MM

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
7.62 is all over the place, as long as you are willing to shoot Russian steel cased. Cabelas "Herters" brand is easy to get, cheap, and you at least know the company you are buying from.

As for .40, that is coming down nicely. Fiocchi at Able Ammo is 16 a box for FMJ. Magtech is out there for not much more. For JHP, Fiocchi 165 JHP is 42 cents a round at Ammunitiontogo.com, with several premium loads under a buck a shot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This may be an ignorant question, but is there any issue with shooting steel cased ammo? Is there a chance of damaging the firearm?

·
Jesus Saves
8,066 Posts
This may be an ignorant question, but is there any issue with shooting steel cased ammo? Is there a chance of damaging the firearm?
Although I am no expert, I'll chime in.

I still have some WPA that I bought that I do not like at all. It is the only ammo I have trouble with in my 9mm magazine. I won't buy more Russian stuff. I still have a few boxes but am very hesitant ti use it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I shoot solely russian steel out of my AR and AK. Wolf at sportsmansguide can be had for like 250 or so. It's a little dirty and can cause some probs in very cold weather but for plinking rds there is no problem

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you're shooting SKS's and AK's then there are absolutely NO problem. They were designed to shoot steel from the beginning. Many people shooting AR's have been leery about shooting steel cases in their guns, although I know a couple of people who do and don't seem to have a problem. Your decision. Also, there have been problems in certain handguns with steel cases. Ammunition is starting to come down in price slowly.

Some calibers are getting less expensive than others. Some good advice here, just keep shopping around and the deals will be found. As hard as it has been to find .22LR, I have been able to pick some up online for pretty reasonable, like $2.49-$4.00 a box of 50, with shipping in the $5.00 or less range just in the last month. Anyway, just keep at it and have patience. Good luck.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I shoot solely russian steel out of my AR and AK. Wolf at sportsmansguide can be had for like 250 or so. It's a little dirty and can cause some probs in very cold weather but for plinking rds there is no problem
You might want to try Golden Tiger or Tulammo. The Golden Tiger is nice. Fairly clean and accurate in my weapons. And the prices are not too bad. Especially at SGAmmo.com Golden Tiger is $234.95 a 1000, and Tulammo 1000 rnd for $219 at Bulkammo.com

1000 Rounds of Bulk 7.62x39mm Ammo by Tula - 124gr HP

7.62x39 | SGAmmo.com

Both are in stock at this moment.

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
Find cheap ammo here.

In stock ammo, guns, magazines, and reloading supplies

SKS's were designed to shoot steel cased ammo, no problem there at all. I don't have a mini 30, but I have heard a lot of guys shoot steel cased ammo through them without any problem.

I shoot steel cased ammo in .380, 9mm, 40 S&W, .223, and 7.62x39. I will shoot any brand in any gun, I have never had any problems with it whatsoever other than the occasional non fire. I take steel or aluminum cased ammo anyplace I don't want to pick up brass, there is nothing wrong with it as long as you don't expect any more from it than the cheap ammo it is. If it was as bad as people say it is, there would not be any of it for sale.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,723 Posts
In theory, the problem with steel cased ammo is some of it has been varnished to prevent rusting of the steel case. When shooting varnished steel cased ammo, the casing gets hot and can melt the varnish, leaving a residue in the chamber and bolt (of rifles). As the residue builds up, it becomes more and more difficult to feed and chamber each round, until the firearm eventually jams. A jammed firearm in a fire fight is never a good thing, which is why steel cased ammo is frowned upon and shied away from.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,084 Posts
Steel cased ammunition is designed to be fired out of an oversized (slightly) and chrome lined chamber. I promise you, over time the odds of using steel cased ammunition in weapons who's chambers do not meet the above requirements will cause problems. These problems may be major, they may be minor. The extent of the problems caused depends on your luck and the tolerances of the weapon's chamber..

Ruger has always slightly oversized their chambers.

·
Jesus Saves
8,066 Posts
Well, I won't use what I have left. I respect the knowledge of Popeye and the others here. I have read that some people have problems, some do not. I have also read the reasoning behind why one would not use it in a semi. Since I have experienced loading problems, stove piping and failure to eject with ONLY WPA ammo, I will not go back. All other ammo I have used works as excepted. When I have ammo that I cannot depend on and has a failure rate, I cannot take the chance, even if it is for practice. Care and safety are number one.

My only concern is what I do with it. I am hesitant to trade it off or sell it because of my failures. I certainly do not want others to experience what I have, and as one person stated, maybe it is a bad batch. It will sit in my storage tip I decide how to rid myself of this "schtuff".

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,084 Posts
Trade it off. Many shooters don't care.

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
Send it to me, there's nothing wrong with it. I will shoot it up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was more concerned with shooting steel through my M&P .40 (which I don't think I'll be doing). Thanks for all the input though. I'll be shopping around a lot to see where I can get the best deals on .40. About how much is the initial investment to start reloading brass?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts