National Gun Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With our current ammo crisis I would love to see more ammo on the shelves whether they come with the plastic trays or not but I would like to see a change in how ammo is sold, specifically I wish more ammo was sold in boxes without the plastic trays.

When you buy ammo usually it comes in a box with a plastic tray, the tray has holes that hold each individual round. I once got ammo in boxes that didn't have the plastic trays. This was years before the ammo shortage but that's beside the point. The boxes that I got the ammo in that didn't have the plastic trays they were smaller but held just as many rounds, 50 rounds per box. As the boxes were smaller they took up less space and thus I could store more of them. Also, they were less expensive as when you buy the box with the plastic tray you have to pay for the tray as well which you're probably going to throw away along with the box once you've shot the ammo so there is really no point in having every box of ammo contain the plastic trays. I wish more ammo was sold without the trays to save on space and to save on cost of the ammo.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have always saved the trays and in fact have been having my friends save the their trays for me.
I use these trays in my various step procedures for reloading.
I'm normally not OCD but when I'm reloading everything has to be perfect.
Admittedly my production rates have never been any thing to brag about. But I have never produced a catastrophic failure causing round.
The only plastic trays that I don't save for myself are the .22LR trays those I save for a friend that usually buys in bulk but prefers to use the trays at the range.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
12,903 Posts
LOL... I probably have close to a thousand empty ammo boxes that I have saved because of the tray. I mean, I have 2 or 3 large cardboard boxes full of empty ammo boxes. (with the intention of reusing them for reloading as HK Nut mentioned)

Also, if you're worried about that 2 cent tray increasing the cost of ammo then I don't know what to tell you.
That plastic tray is very insignificant to the cost of ammo. It also protects the cartridges during shipping and handling.
If the tray was eliminated you'd be lucky to save 5 cents a box.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Maybe buy the ammo can filled with your preferred caliber?

If not available then do what the manufacturing plants do and put them in bulk packaging yourself and then the plastic trays to others that use them.

I like the plastic trays that gave belt clips on them, very convenient 2 cent item that I will keep reusing until they break. Bows the styrofoam trays I repurpose for fishing trips. The CCI empty plastic boxes are great for my wife to put buttons and the other sewing items in.

But, we reuse a lot of items in my household.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have always saved the trays and in fact have been having my friends save the their trays for me.
I use these trays in my various step procedures for reloading.
I'm normally not OCD but when I'm reloading everything has to be perfect.
Admittedly my production rates have never been any thing to brag about. But I have never produced a catastrophic failure causing round.
The only plastic trays that I don't save for myself are the .22LR trays those I save for a friend that usually buys in bulk but prefers to use the trays at the range.
Im thinking, they should regularly sell ammo in boxes with the tray and in boxes without the tray. That way a buyer can have the choice if they want to buy the ammo with or without the tray. When you buy the ammo without the tray not only do you save a few pennies per box but the main reason I like to get the ammo without the tray is the box takes up less space, that way I can store more boxes.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL... I probably have close to a thousand empty ammo boxes that I have saved because of the tray. I mean, I have 2 or 3 large cardboard boxes full of empty ammo boxes. (with the intention of reusing them for reloading as HK Nut mentioned)
You should have the option of buying the ammo with or without the tray.

Also, if you're worried about that 2 cent tray increasing the cost of ammo then I don't know what to tell you.
That plastic tray is very insignificant to the cost of ammo. It also protects the cartridges during shipping and handling.
If the tray was eliminated you'd be lucky to save 5 cents a box.
It all adds up. Lets say you buy a million boxes of ammo, if you save 5 cents a box you've just saved fifty grand.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
12,903 Posts
You should have the option of buying the ammo with or without the tray.
You're not thinking this through... that would require the manufacturer to handle the ammo more than they already do and also cause them to run 2 packaging lines instead of one. This would in turn increase the price of the ammo.

Also, the individual consumer is not buying a million boxes of ammo. Lets at least attempt to be reasonable here.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Keep calm & return fire!
12,903 Posts
Now that I complete agree with! 🤜🤛

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Let’s be honest. Pistol ammo isn’t sniper, match grad stuff. If you can put all your rounds ina 2” circle at 25 yards, then you’re shooting better than anyone I know. If the rounds you buy are bulk packed, they don’t get the same care a rifle round would get and that’s fine. . They don’t need to be absolutely perfect and pristine. Rifle ammo on the other hand needs the best of care. Many of us could put all of our rounds in a 2” circle or better at 150 yards. Putting pistol rounds in a plastic tray is for convenience. Putting rifle rounds in a plastic or styrofoam tray is important.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let’s be honest. Pistol ammo isn’t sniper, match grad stuff. If you can put all your rounds ina 2” circle at 25 yards, then you’re shooting better than anyone I know. If the rounds you buy are bulk packed, they don’t get the same care a rifle round would get and that’s fine. . They don’t need to be absolutely perfect and pristine. Rifle ammo on the other hand needs the best of care. Many of us could put all of our rounds in a 2” circle or better at 150 yards. Putting pistol rounds in a plastic tray is for convenience. Putting rifle rounds in a plastic or styrofoam tray is important.
In the Army do they keep their ammo in boxes with trays?

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,602 Posts
The Army says all hits in an eight inch circle at a hundred yards is good enough.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I reuse trays, sometimes for ammo storage, sometimes for loading blocks.

I can buy these for $3 + tax

Or I can make these for free from empty bullet containers and ammo trays

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I reuse those trays. Gimmee my trays!

--Wag--
As do I
I have a large stack of them. I reuse some for reloading trays instead of paying $10 or more for the fancy ones.
I reuse trays, sometimes for ammo storage, sometimes for loading blocks.

I can buy these for $3 + tax
View attachment 121559

Or I can make these for free from empty bullet containers and ammo trays
View attachment 121560

View attachment 121561
That works. Looks good too.
By the way, what brand bullets come in such nice boxes?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
Like others said i reuse ammo boxes as well being i reload. I'm such a cheap sob i even grab some of them out of the trash at the range. I have been slowly buying the 20,50 and 100 round plastic ammo boxes as well plus store some in bulk in cans. Before plastic showed up ammo boxes were all cardboard but the problem is cardboard will soak up moisture from the air and often corrode ammo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts