National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the desk of
Gun-Zilla !

The good old .45 Automatic is the gun of choice , again for American military personel . Apparently the 9mm was not getting the job done to the satisfaction of the soldiers who have to depend on them for survival .

After a review gave careful consideration to the fact that since the big fat .45 slug came into existence , its stopping power has been legendary so it seemed like a no – brainer to go with something that was tried and true .

I may only be a simple monster with a shot-gun , but it seems to me that if you get it right the first time you should just stick with it .

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Yep. The Indiana State Police just went back to it also. They still went with Glock but got rid of the 9`s.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Heard the marines went w/ a variant of the Colt rail gun, CQBP or something?
Lucky marines.

·
1,796 Posts
When you hold a 9mm and a .45acp in your hand the choice seems clear.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was browsing merchandise (over priced by the way) at the local indoor range. Overhead a conversation between an older man and a young employee. The question came up about SD rounds. Boy, I have to listen to this one. Young is extolling the virtues of the 9mm. Older man says not for him he prefers a .45 no 9mm for him. Young guy explains to older man that with a well placed shot 9mm is as good as a .45. Older man explains to younger man he was in combat in Vietnam he will take his .45 over 9mm. Young still continuing to argue with older man as they walk off and I left the shop. Wanted to say, "Have you ever dealt with anyone on PCP or high on drugs? You might have different opinion about big bullets vs little ones". The debate will continue..........

·
Banned
77 Posts
If we all agreed on what worked best there would be very little to talk about on gun forums.

I think caliber choice for the military came down to transporting millions of rounds and cost.

Lets see, 230 grains times half a million divided by 7000 equals 16,428 lbs.

115 grains times half a mill divided by 7K equals 8,214 lbs

Yeah I'm ignoring the rest of the cartridge but that's a 8,213 lb difference. Not sure how the $$$ works out.

·
Registered
614 Posts
If you ever have to go to war, and you have a choice, you will take the .45. If you value your life you will choose the .45

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The Marines are going with the 1911 Colt .45 acp. I don't think the other Services are switching over - at least I don't think its been announced. The change over to the 9mm was an attempt to suck up to NATO. The Marines never quit bitching about going with the 9mm. The Army command is a bit more political. Hopefully they will also go with the .45 acp in the near future.

·
5,082 Posts
The actions of the Marine armories and other branches and units that have
kept this round, is but a testament to the great pistol and Colt and Browning.

Two of my favorite sayings ( when this round is discussed )...:thumbsup::lol:

--- ( 9 vs .45 )

"Would you rather be hit with a needle going 200 mph, or a bowling ball
going 75...? "

---

Q: Mr. 1shot, why do you prefer a .45 1911 for your personal protection carry ..? "

1shot : "Because I simply haven't found a .46 "

1shot1k

1 - 10 of 10 Posts