National Gun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the July American Rifleman there is a very interesting article about American made Mosin-Nagants. Seems that Remington and New England Westinghouse Co. both made these rifles for the Russians in WW1. After the Bolshevik Revolution both companies were stuck with several of these guns and our government bought them. These actually saw some combat by Americans in the North Russian Campaign (I never heard of it either!) Anyway, I thought this whole article was very interesting, as I never dreamed that there were any American made Mosins.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I concur. That is interesting information. I bet they are worth a lot if they are still around. I like my Russian ones though. I saw an M44 Izzy dated 1944 at Cabela's for $225. I about dropped a load on the floor right there where I stood. The mag plate bottom on the trigger guard assembly was the only mis-matched number on it. But the bayonet and bolt were zip tied down, so I couldn't inspect it any more. It has been there for ages at that price, I hope some poor sucker doesn't buy it. I tried to see if they would lower it, as the guy wasn't knowledgeable about Mosins at all. I told him what was wrong with it, and he asked some other guy and he said he'd take $25 off. They should have paid me that $25 for wasting my time and gas to go there. Then got me lunch, because I was hungry while I was there, for having to ask about a terrible deal......

Rust could be visibly seen in the muzzle. The numbers weren't all matching. It was a 1944 Izzy M44 so nothing special. The stock had some scratches where a sling once was and other random places where the finish was worn to the stock. There was a toe splice on the rear of the buttstock too. Stock was not laminated. I don't see why they hiked the price up so far. I saw an Enfield No4. Mk1 that was about $170. Not too bad of a price. It was a little sticky from cosmoline too. Wonder why that one wasn't $300. Well I guess thats why I only go to Cabela's to look, and not buy guns......ugh

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
they were stuck with several hundred thousand - some were used as training rifles for US doughboys during WW1. After the Great war, most were sold through the NRA and were sporterized. I owned a sporter Westinghouse a few years back - bought it for $76 sold it a year later for $105. The vast majority were sporterized - we see very very very few in original condition - saw one about three weeks ago at a gun show - dealer wanted $299 just because it was made in USA.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats neat. I don't know as I have ever seen one though. I bet they are nice shooting guns. I don't think I have ever seen one of the sporterized ones either. I'll have to keep an eye out next weekend, and the next upcoming WAC show.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts