National Gun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: Square target

· Registered
8,687 Posts
At least six foreign hostages are being held by Islamist insurgents in Mali, Burkina Faso and Niger. Islamists have collected millions of dollars in ransom payments in recent years. The U.S. government has frequently criticised other countries for paying.

'During the night six men, possibly Fulani, came on foot,' he said, referring to a nomadic ethnic group also known as Peuls.

Fulani ethnic group?
Settlement and Islam
Fula people, with Arabic and North African roots, adopted Islam early. According to David Levison, adopting Islam made the Fulani feel a "cultural and religious superiority to surrounding peoples, and that adoption became a major ethnic boundary marker" between them and other African ethnic groups in the Sahel and West Africa.[52] Settled and nomadic Fulani became political and warring entities, armed with horses and equipment of war from the north.[53] The wars were not merely between Fula people and other ethnic groups, but also internecine between the pastoral and sedentary Fulani, where sometimes they worked in cohesion, and other times the Muslim Fulani leaders attacked the nomadic Fulani as infidels.[53]

The Songhai Empire rulers had converted to Sunni Islam in the 11th-century and were a major trading partner of the Middle East and North Africa.[54] The Fulani warriors, in the 15th century, challenged this West African trading state near the Niger River, but were repulsed. In 1493, Askia Muhammad led the Fulani people from western Sudan, and over time gained control of much that was previously Songhai empire, removing Sonni Baru who had attempted to protect the interests of pastoralists.[54] Askia Muhammad won a control over the caravan trade routes in West Africa, but was overthrown by his own son, Askia Musa, in a coup in 1528.[54]

The Fulani, after being the first group of people in West Africa to convert to Islam, became active in supporting Islamic theology and ideology from centres such as Timbuktu. The Fula people who later became known as the Toroobe worked with Berber and Arabian Islamic clerics, charting out the spread of Islam in West Africa. The Fula people led many jihads, or holy wars, some of which were major.[55] These war efforts helped spread Islam in West Africa, as well helped them dominate much of the Sahel region of West Africa during the medieval and pre-colonial era history, establishing them not only as a religious group but also as a political and economic force.[56][57]

Every year, hundreds of Nigerian Christians are being assaulted, tortured and killed by Fulani extremists in the Middle Belt region of the nation. In 2019 alone, an estimated 1,350 Christians were killed by militant Islamic groups in Nigeria, according to Open Doors. Reports from the ground indicate that the Fulani were responsible for at least 500 of these deaths. Most recently, on Jan. 26 and 27, the Fulani attacked two villages, setting a church building ablaze and killing at least 26 people.

Philip Walton had been living in Massalata with his wife and a children for two years, according to his father, who himself lives in Birni Nkonni and has been in Niger for nearly 30 years.

Interesting to me.

· Ancient Gaseous Emanation
57,902 Posts

· Super Moderator
16,630 Posts

· Registered
4,411 Posts
I heard Trump mention it during his rally. He gave credit to the Brave warriors that took part in the mission. I don't remember him taking any credit for the tough decision to go.

I remember Obama talking about the Bin Laden raid and it almost sounded like he was on the mission and killed him himself. Somebody counted the times he said "I" as in what he did and I think it was near 35 times.

I'm a little sick and laugh at inappropriate times and got a chuckle when he said something about the captors regretting their decision. The same laugh I have when I watch the movie Capt Phillips and the scene where they take out all the pirates at the same time.

· Registered
367 Posts
Thank you President Trump.

Sounds like some quiet sailors did what they do.

"Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..." ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.