National Gun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find a relatively inexpensive way to store my rifles. I was hoping to turn a trunk into a storage container but I cannot find any that are long enough. I can make my own 4 rifle case for around $50, but would like some input before I begin that project. budget and space are an issue. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,766 Posts
Are you wanting to simply store the rifles or trying to find a way to protect them from theft/fire/whatever?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would prefer to keep them out of the elements and to protect them from fire and theft, though I am trying to be realistic as I know these are not possible without a proper safe. My current goal is to have a compact method of storing and protecting my rifles without having their soft cases just lying around in my apartment.

·
Registered
Navy Vet
2,865 Posts
As long as you can build a storage container for 50.00 and it is moisture proof and strong enough and fits the space allowed, and you can put your 4 rifles into it, then do it. Make sure you wipe them down with oil or WD40 and check at a gun shop or sporting goods store and buy a moisture absorbing product to put in with them. Put a lock on the container and hopefully in the future you can buy something more secure and fire proof.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Ditto to what Scrub Oak said.

You could build 4 PVC storage tubes that would be air and water tight, but I don't think you could do that for less than 50 bucks. Probably cost you a little more than that and in a fire the only advantage would be the ability to grab em and run. Of course that also helps out any one who breaks into the apt. too.

Like scrub Oak said get your self some desi packs and gve the guns a good coating of oil inside and out. which ever way you decide to go.

·
Military Rifle Collector
692 Posts
Save your money and buy a small gun safe. If you are really serious about protecting them then you should have a real safe.

·
Super Moderator
14,402 Posts
I'd just go buy one of those "stack on" metal cabinets. They go for about $100 the last ones I bought. I got the boys one each a couple of years ago. They are secure and offer protection. Fire? Even a fire safe isn't going to give you 100%.

Alan

Reactions: Scrub oak

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would a non working refrigerator work? I would think oiling the guns up and placing a moisture absorbent bag might work. Rifles and shot guns in the bottom, hand guns and ammo in the top section. Install a couple good hasp locks and the equipment would be secure from kiddos (not so much from fire or theft).

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
For the couch potato, they are never more than arm's length away....
But you would have to get up from your nap to get to them! LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts