National Gun Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has this gun his dad gave it to him and my dad has no idea where my grandpa got it. He thinks my great grandpa may have brought it here from Serbia in the early 1900s.

About the gun: The trigger folds up. You have to cock the hammer to be able to pull the trigger. There is some mechanism on the right side of the gun that you have to pull out in or to load/unload the rounds.

Thats about it, if you know what it is could you give me an estimation of its worth.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Belgian "Velo Dog" type revolver. Found a couple pics with matching proof marks but different models.

http://www.dandbmilitaria.com/images/D/DSC00061-11.jpg

Think of it as a 19th-century biker gun. From what I read, there were lots of manufacturers who made them. They were designed to be carried by cyclists to fend off dogs (VELOcipede DOG).

Someone else here has to know a lot more than that.

Edit: 20th century. Found a Belgian proof mark reference that puts it 1903 or later (The rampant lion over the PV). No idea if that is correct or not.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Item:9577865 BELGIAN, VELO DOG, 8 mm 5 SHOT, FOLDING TRIGGER, DOUBLE ACTION, NO FFL For Sale at GunAuction.com

This is an old auction page from 2010. It is the closest I could come to finding an estimate of the value of what you have. The gun in the auction appears to be in better shape and may be a different caliber but I would take the price it went for as a high ceiling price. I doubt yours would bring as much but I could be way off base with that. An antique is worth what someone will pay for it.

After looking a bit more, evidently these were ladies guns. I saw one add that advertised, " Velodog for mad dogs and men acting as such "

Smith and Wesson should try that slogan for their Lady Smith line.:lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts