National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had it. windows updated itself again yesterday, and now it's got some precess running that has slowed my FPS on all my cameras to 1 FPS or less. It has done this before, and if I killed the windows update process, it freed up my cameras. But that didn't work this time. I've had it. I've been looking for a Linux based software package for years, to no avail. This morning I found an app in the app store on my Mac that claims to work with any IP camera, it's $20. It sounds like it should. But I need a Mac. I found an older Macbook that just meets the minimum requirements for this software for cheap. Auction ends inn about 9 hours, and I'm the only bidder so far. I'm soooo close to being rid of this virus, I'm excited!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yosemite -

Question - I've been involved with computers for many years but I've never had the need to use a Mac. Working in an IT environment I've dealt with Unix/Linux and certainly Windows but our corporate policy would not allow anyone to bring in a Mac for work-related use. So, when running a Mac do you have to get software specifically written for the Mac or does a Mac offer an emulator to run Windows software?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yosemite -

Question - I've been involved with computers for many years but I've never had the need to use a Mac. Working in an IT environment I've dealt with Unix/Linux and certainly Windows but our corporate policy would not allow anyone to bring in a Mac for work-related use. So, when running a Mac do you have to get software specifically written for the Mac or does a Mac offer an emulator to run Windows software?
+1

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Sam, I own a MAC, and have for 15 years. You need to make sure the Mac you bid on will run the newest OS X or your wasting you money. Send me a pm with the computer details and I'll look it up for you.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
10,457 Posts
Yosemite -

Programs need to be specifically for Mac. However, for the last several years (since 2006 or so) Macs have had intel chips and it is very easy to run windows on a Mac using Boot Camp or Parallels. Theses are not emulators though. They allow you to physically run windows.

Sam, I own a MAC, and have for 15 years. You need to make sure the Mac you bid on will run the newest OS X or your wasting you money. Send me a pm with the computer details and I'll look it up for you.
100% agree. If it can't be upgraded to Mojave or Catalina its a waste of money

·
Registered
13,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yosemite -

Mac requires it's own software, but they have everything that windows has in a Mac version. As long as document are in a common format such as pdf, Macs will read them just fine. Surfing the web is no different.

I have a 2010 Imac as my main computer (I'm using it now), it came with El Capitan, I upgraded to Sierra and then High Sierra, it won't run the new thing, Catalina I think it is. That's fine, don't need it. The whole reason I bought the MacBook is to replace my windows laptop. All that thing does is monitor my cameras. I use iSpy, it's free, sees all my cameras, but it only runs on windows. But every time windows updates, which is often, I have problems. I like my iMac. it doesn't update 2-3 times a month. So I found some software on the app store that claims it works with any camera, supports all the formats, blah blah blah. I believe it will, it costs $20. The minimum requirements are 64 bit and OS X Lion. So this MacBook, is early 08, 64 bit, and has Lion on it. It's old, but that's why it was $43 plus shipping. All it's going to do is what my windows laptop does, monitor my cameras. Once I have a replacement that can monitor these cameras, microshit and there virus software are gone. I was thinking last night about all the grief windows has caused in my life, going back to windows 3.1, microshit has cause more misery than I would allow any woman to do. I was the only bidder, so I won the auction, $43 + $30.04 shipping. $20 for the software. A hundred bucks to finally be free from windows is probably the best $100 I ever spent. Good riddance windows.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
So if someone breaks in and steals your laptop you have no video of the break in or are you streaming and using cloud storage.?

·
Registered
13,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got my 2008 MacBook today. Did you know 2008 is "old?" The software I hoped to use doesn't work. Not a compatibility issue, it's a code issue. So I looked around a bit, nothing works with this old Mac. I'll keep looking, there's got to be something. But this is a really nice computer, faster than I expected. Was kept in a roll top desk with the lid open, so it's in real nice shape. A problem with the charger, so he's sending me another one. So I need to find an IP camera software that run on 10.7.5 Lion OS. Good luck fella.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
10,457 Posts
I have several PoE IP cameras in and around my house. I use the SW from the manufacturer of my NVR. (I just looked and it does not support 3rd party IP cams)
Was recently looking really hard at Blue Iris software but unfortunately it doesn't run on mac and I am not putting parallels and windows on my MacBook pro to simply run a single piece of SW.

You can try this but I can't vouch for it as I have no experience with it. https://en.freedownloadmanager.org/Mac-OS/IP-Camera-Viewer-FREE.html

And yes, in the computer world 2008 is ancient.

edit: any other ip cam SW I have come across requires minimum osx 10.10

·
Registered
13,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm learning there is a hack that lets you install later OS X on unsupported Macs. As soon as I get my hd mirrored, I might try that. The goal is to get it to High Sierra via El Capitan. I may just stay al El Capitan if I can find software for it. I agree, I'm not putting a windows emulator on it. I'll get it worked out. I downloaded that IPCAm Viewer as it says right in the description it will run on 10.7.5. But it does not, a popup says I need at least 11.6. [email protected]#$ing bullshit.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
A 2010 iMac as your main computer. Ummmm that's getting old. You need a new computer anyways. Problem with Mac is obsolete. Can't keep up with new speeds, volumes.
Why don't you just face it. Get a new Mac. I got a new Mac laptop. Ever since I left the ms swamp. I'm ...

·
Registered
13,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This 2010 iMac is just fine with me. I don't do anything but internet. What ticks me off is I have it set to use 5g to connect to my router, but it starts at slow speed and I have to select 5g. When I do a speed test on the slow connection, I get 15-30 bps, when I put it on 5g I get everything I'm given, 100bps and a little more. Really makes a difference. My 08 MacBook goes to 5g every time it starts. I just realized the "old" 08 isn't much older than my iMac.....they are old, but 08 seems like yesterday.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
My iMac is a 2007. I hacked to memory to 6 gig and replaced the hard drive with a 512 SSD. Big performance boost but still won't run the new OSX.

·
Registered
13,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm looking to upgrade to 4gb memory. Two 2gb sticks for $12, then they sell one 2gb and one 4gb for the 6gb, but that set is $60! Go figure. I'm going to wait to try the OSX hack and upgrade to El Capitan, if that goes well, I'll upgrade to High Sierra. I expect the system to slow significantly, so I want the memory to help it along. As long as I can get it to monitor my cameras, that's all I want. I do like this little MacBook, just wish the software was available for it.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I'm interested in the hack that will let you upgrade, is there a link you could post or pm me?

·
Registered
13,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just go to YouTube and search for upgrading unsupported macs. I saved a bunch to watch later, but they aren't there anymore. There is a patch you need to download. I don't know if any of this stuff is still available, guess it's a mystery until one of us tries.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts