National Gun Forum banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
- The prop gun was one of three on hand that an assistant director handed to Baldwin while proclaiming "cold gun," to let the crew know a gun with no live rounds was being used, according to a search warrant from Santa Fe County obtained by ABC News.

Baldwin then fired the gun, shooting Hutchins in the chest, the warrant stated. Souza, who was standing behind her, sustained a gunshot wound to the shoulder, investigators said.

The assistant director told investigators he did not know there were any rounds in the gun he gave to Baldwin, according to the warrant.

Baldwin, who appeared to have bloodstains on his clothing, was brought in for a statement and his clothing was collected, the warrant stated.

- On a day prior to Thursday's fatal shooting, there were two accidental discharges within 10 minutes, according to the former crew member.

The issue of gun safety had been brought up by the camera crew and allegedly brushed off repeatedly by producers, said the person, who had already left the set before the fatal shooting occurred.

The crew also had concerns about an apparent lack of COVID-19 safety on set, the person said.

The armorer and assistant director who handed off a fatal prop gun to Alec Baldwin have been identified, after it was revealed that some crew members walked off the set of the movie Rust over safety concerns before the tragic shooting that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.

A search warrant released Friday said that armorer Hannah Gutierrez laid out three prop guns on a cart outside the filming location, and first assistant director Dave Halls grabbed the gun from the cart and brought it inside to Baldwin, unaware that it was loaded with live rounds.

'Cold gun!' shouted Halls before handing the gun to Baldwin, using the phrase to signal to cast and crew that the gun was safe to fire for the scene, the warrant said.

Seconds later, filming a scene inside an Old West-style church, Baldwin apparently aimed towards the camera and pulled the trigger, accidentally killing Hutchins as she filmed him, and injuring director Joel Souza, who stood behind her.

The gun that fired the fatal shot was a vintage-style Colt revolver, DailyMail.com has exclusively learned. The movie, set in 1880's Kansas, stars Baldwin as the infamous outlaw Harland Rust, whose grandson is sentenced to hang for an accidental murder.

A call sheet from the set identified the armorer's name as Hannah Gutierrez Reed, according to the Wall Street Journal. Gutierrez-Reed, 24, is the daughter of legendary Hollywood armorer and firearms consultant Thell Reed, who trained her from a young age, she said in a recent podcast interview.

She said in the podcast that she had recently completed her first film as head armorer on The Old Way, starring Nicolas Cage. 'I almost didn’t take the job because I wasn’t sure if I was ready, but doing it, it went really smoothly,' she said in the interview last month.

Halls is a veteran assistant director with scores of credits on productions involving prop guns, including Fargo, The Matrix Reloaded, and the TV cop comedy Reno 911.

In 2000, Halls was the second unit's first assistant director on The Crow: Salvation, the sequel to the film in which Bruce Lee's son Brandon Lee was killed in an on-set firearms mishap in 1993.

Neither he nor Gutierrez-Reed immediately returned messages from DailyMail.com late on Friday. Neither has been charged or named as a criminal suspect in the case, though a police investigation is ongoing.

Pictures

·
Registered
15,520 Posts
Maybe everyone who handles real or fake firearms on a movie set should be required to take an approved NRA training course on the safe handling of guns. Maybe any place they film they need to abide by and local, state and federal laws. In other words if they are filming in NY anyone who handles a handgun would need a NYS issued pistol permit. Anyone who handles a gun on a set in NYC would need a permit. They would also need to to abide by the 10 round mag limits and no assault weapons of any kind. They use a variety of guns on sets, anything from solid rubber guns, fake realistic guns to real guns.

·
Premium Member
8,147 Posts
Maybe everyone who handles real or fake firearms on a movie set should be required to take an approved NRA training course on the safe handling of guns. Maybe any place they film they need to abide by and local, state and federal laws. In other words if they are filming in NY anyone who handles a handgun would need a NYS issued pistol permit. Anyone who handles a gun on a set in NYC would need a permit. They would also need to to abide by the 10 round mag limits and no assault weapons of any kind. They use a variety of guns on sets, anything from solid rubber guns, fake realistic guns to real guns.
That’s too much of a burden on anyone involved is gun use. Who could follow those rules? They’re unrealistic. (SIC) I think a teenager who grew up with guns could be safer than this armorer. I believe I could do that job with no prior experience in movies. We all know the rules. They had three pistols to keep track of. If you load a gun, mark it with a “hot” flag, tie wrap, tape or almost any other way of marking it as a “hot” gun.

·
Super Moderator
15,265 Posts
IF, I were an armorer on one of these sets, ANY firearm would be in my direct possession or under my direct control. They certainly wouldn't be in a basket where any dumbass could pick them up at all, whether they were labeled or not. I don't have baskets of guns laying around the house, certainly not in the workplace...

The fact of the matter in this case is that some person loaded the pistol and it was given to an actor to shoot directly at someone else.

I cannot imagine having someone hand me a gun, declare it to be unloaded, and that I would take this at face value (from anyone) and point and shoot at another person. I wouldn't even do this if I checked it first.

When I check a single action revolver that I pull out of a safe that only I know the combination to, and that I was the last person to touch the gun prior to putting it in the safe, I rotate the cylinder 13 clicks. That means I see each empty cylinder twice and one extra. That's just what I do. When I close the loading gate, the pistol is LOADED regardless of the empty chambers. All normal safety procedures apply after that.

But in the movies you get to do a retake, right? Except when the gun is loaded for real....

Alan

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,413 Posts
IF, I were an armorer on one of these sets, ANY firearm would be in my direct possession or under my direct control. They certainly wouldn't be in a basket where any dumbass could pick them up at all, whether they were labeled or not. I don't have baskets of guns laying around the house, certainly not in the workplace...

The fact of the matter in this case is that some person loaded the pistol and it was given to an actor to shoot directly at someone else.

I cannot imagine having someone hand me a gun, declare it to be unloaded, and that I would take this at face value (from anyone) and point and shoot at another person. I wouldn't even do this if I checked it first.

When I check a single action revolver that I pull out of a safe that only I know the combination to, and that I was the last person to touch the gun prior to putting it in the safe, I rotate the cylinder 13 clicks. That means I see each empty cylinder twice and one extra. That's just what I do. When I close the loading gate, the pistol is LOADED regardless of the empty chambers. All normal safety procedures apply after that.

But in the movies you get to do a retake, right? Except when the gun is loaded for real....

Alan
This 👆🏻

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Ok folks you knew it was a matter of time before the conspiracy theories come out. Hang on.

Halyna Hutchins was married to Matthew Hutchins
Matthew Hutchens is an attorney at Latham & Watkins.
Sussman the indicted lying lawyer working for Perkins Coie was defended by lawyers working for, yup you guessed it, Latham & Watkins.

Kathryn Ruemmler was an associate of sorts and a friend of Epstein. She worked at Clinton's White House. Who did she work for, not again, yup you guessed it, Latham & Watkins.

Better than six degrees of Kevin Bacon you could probably play four degrees of the Clintons.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Sanctimonious SOB
Remember when Dick Cheney "accidentally" shot someone?
Hollywood leftist went nuts and amongst them:

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Well. I'm not sure how those gun hating know-it-alls were trained, but I surely had a NRA Safety Course, as a child, and was taught "Always check, to be sure the gun is unloaded, yourself, no matter who has checked it, before you. Make it a reflexive habit to always check, yourself, no matter what. "

But suddenly, this gun hater, who thinks WE are incapable of handling guns, makes the cardinal mistake, of not properly checking, and verifying the load status of guns, himself ? I don't know if I can speak for everybody here, but if somebody had handed me a firearm, and said "Cold gun", I would have opened the loading gate, or exposed the cylinder, and checked the gun myself.

My point being: What makes these people who can't even do a safety check, on a firearm, which is handed to them, think that they not only know best, but can also legislate gun laws, for US?? To be fair, if WE had mandated some proper Gun Safety training, like they USED TO HAVE, in public schools, for Alec Baldwin, this tragic "accident" would not have happened.

·
Registered
15,918 Posts
The armorer said once she wasn't sure she was up to the job. Your job is to make sure what is in the gun before you hand it to someone, how hard is that? Regardless of all the failings that occurred before baldwin got the gun, it was his final responsibility to check it when it was handed to him. He should be charged with negligence, at least.

·
Super Moderator
15,265 Posts
I have watched my fair share of shootemups, in fact, they are my favorite kind of movie. I know that if Hollywood can make an entire building blow up digitally, they can make a little fire and smoke on the muzzle of a firearm.

Also, I know that a firearm can be made to absolutely be incapable of chambering a live round of any flavor and even if it was somehow done that NOTHING would exit the barrel.... Because there wouldn't be a barrel. That would be a "prop gun".

But those things aren't realistic, and we HAVE to have realism in the low budget movies that aging, has been actors play in.....

Well, it seems that things got real, for real.... I hope they got it on tape...

Alan

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
26,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I'm patiently waiting for Alex Baldwin to be arrested and charged with involuntary manslaughter. :cool:

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
So while we ponder this thing. My brain decides to wonder what if.
The union works were unhappy. They were eventually evicted and replaced.
They sighted safety as one of there concerns.
Sabotage?
Leave a problem behind to see if they were correct, that the place was a disaster in the making.

My brain has issues.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,519 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
If it was a revolver, how did one bullet get in position to fire? I read there was only one shell. If so, this guy would suck at Russian roulette.

·
Super Moderator
15,265 Posts
There are, at least, four people who are directly responsible for this act of negligence (although it is being repeatedly referred to as an accident, a misfire, etc...)...

1. Whoever put the live round in the revolver did so on purpose. Whether it was with malicious intent or not remains to be seen.
2. The Armorer. The guns used on the set are the armorer's direct responisbility.
3. The Propmaster, who without checking, declared the gun to be unloaded. NOT loaded with blanks, or dummy rounds, or anything else, but UNLOADED.
4. Alec Baldwin, for accepting a firearm and without checking it, cocked it, pointed it at another human being, and pulled the trigger.

At leas 4 levels of failsafe were bypassed because of negligence. If one of us had done this the anti-gunners and politicians would be swinging from the rafters screaming for our heads on a platter. They are expectedly silent it seems.....

All I read is about how distraught everyone is as they are blinking away their crocodile tears pointing at each other.

Alan

41 - 60 of 95 Posts