National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is an age old question. Which is better and why, the AK-47 or the AR-15?

Today when walking into my local gun store I had my mind made up that I was getting an AK-47. After talking to the locals/regulars of the gun store my mind is split. They currently have a Century AK-47 for $539.00, and an AR-15 for $759.00. The AR is made/assembled by the gun shop owner. No name brand stamp on reciever. Just ordered parts by the same manufacturers of Armalite and Bushmaster.

My question is this. Which would you get and why? Which is better and why?

I am wanting an assault/battle rifle in the event of SHTF type situation. From my understanding the AK is simple, uses the heavy 7.62, and is as old as the hills. The AR however uses the lighter faster .223 round, and has been our nations issued rifle since the '60s. The AK and AR are neck and neck for accuracy up to or around 100 yards. After that, supposedly the AR has it won for a tight pattern. For $799.00 they have a Bushmaster AR with strap and cheap scope. However it is a used gun, which appears to be in good shape but the shop owner does not know that much about it as it is in on trade.

Please help me decide!!!
I was planning on going in tomorrow 8/2/08 to pick the unit that I shall protect myself with in the event of the SHTF. Let me know your thoughts and reasoning ASAP!!

Much obliged! :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
My opinion is an AR. In my experiance the AR is more accurate even out to 100 yards. There are also more options available for it. In the event of a SHTF there will be more ammo and parts for and AR. I also like the ergos an the AR much better then the AK.

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Well... this is like asking an old muscle car guy... "Ford or Chevy?"

They're both great rifles... and both for their own reasons. If you're looking for more of a "dead-on" accuracy assault rifle, go with an AR. If you're looking for a rifle to smack around, abuse, and expect it to keep on firing, go with an AK.

Both have a massive amount of "do-dads" available to add on... and both are a blast to shoot.

Thumbs up either way...!

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Get both and sleep easy.
Hahah. I like that philosophy!

I prefer the look and feel of the AR, which is why I purchased my lower receiver today, just incase they get banned and/or the SHTF.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Get both and sleep easy.
Good call.

But if I could have only one? I would go with the AR every single time. Both the external and terminal ballistics of the AR smack the crap out of the Ak every single time (within 300m). Go out and try to carry around ten full mags of 7.62x39, then pick up the same number of 5.56 and tell me what you want to pack day in and day out. Then attempt to engage multiple targets with both weapons, and tell me what you do better with.

Yeah the AK will end up beating it out as far as reliability. But that is just one small piece of the pie. Now go get you a piston driven system and there is no question. AR!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All good information. Just wanting to find out which one is the better deal as far as price goes.

·
Registered
211 Posts
For the money of the ones listed I would go AR my experiance with Century has not been very good if you have seen the videos I posted the AK in it is a century but it has been to hell and back and usually being bump fired or fired as fast as possible

Here is the videos if you have not seen it

and here is another example of how fast we shoot it take a look around 2:59-3:20 thats 70 rounds in 7 seconds it jammed before it could fire the full mag but that is still 10 rounds a second

( Some of the things in this video are unsafe if you try them do so at your own risk )
http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=eRSYMZPlyYg

G

·
I have owned both, and would pick an AR over an AK based mostly on ergonomics. The AR is the most ergonomic gun I have ever owned. All the controls are where they should be. The AKs safety/dust cover is clunky, noisy, and harder to get to than the AR. The AK does not hold the bolt open when the mag runs dry, the AR does. The flattop ARs are easy to mount any optic you want on them. The AR is very easy to modify to suit what you want the gun for.

All that being said, the AK is a fine weapon too, and I would not feel handicapped with one, that is for sure. I would make sure the gun shop owner knows what he is doing too before I would buy someone else's build.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I have used ARs/M-16s in combat situations and have found that configuration to be excellent with the proviso that it is kept scrupulously clean, and often. The AK is designed and used as a "bullet launcher" and in that respect it is superlative. The individual rifle man can carry more 5.56x45mm rounds, comfortably, than 7.62x39mm because of the lower individual weight per cartridge. Both rounds do enough damage when hitting a soft target to qualify as military capable rounds, with a slight edge to the M-16 round due to upset. The AK ammo is around 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of the 5.56 at this time. The AR platform with the .223 or 5.56 is a tad more accurate than the AK, but then combat accuracy is any hit inside of 4" at 100 meters and any hit within 6" at 200 meters and either will do that with proper aiming and some minimal training. With the current rapid increase in cost of the basic semi-auto AK clones experienced lately, and which is likely to accentuate in the near future as parts kits within the US begin to run out of stock - the cost advantage held by the AKs in the past is beginning to evaporate. I've seen what both platforms can do in combat scenarios, which may or may not be relavent to this discussion BUT, IMHO, if I were going to choose one or the other for SHTF scenarios, I'm pretty sure that I would choose the AK. I own an AK and a couple SKSs but I've not yet purchased an AR and it's been 40 years since I carried one.

G

·
I've owned both and have to say both offer certain advantages. My $300 AK was extremely dependable, regardless of the abuse it suffered. My $1,000 AR was very accurate, but would jam after a couple hundred rounds without cleaning. I personally prefer the 7.62 round and the AK rifle better.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Really, you can't go wrong with either one, so I'd say it's just a matter of personal preference. Either is an excellent weapon for SHTF scenarios. Still, each has its pros and cons.

As mentioned, the AR will be the more accurate (at any range, really), while the AK will be more dependable (as in, when you pull the trigger, it will go bang, every time). The AK is also likely to be less expensive, both to buy and to shoot- though I've heard of several times there were shortages of 7.62, and prices skyrocketed until more supply came through. If you keep a pretty large supply on hand, that's not a problem, as you can just wait it out, and replace what you shoot when the prices come back down.

As far as ballistics (and I'm no expert, this is just what I've read), I think the nod has to go to the AR, but again, either one is more than sufficient.

I don't know about the AK, but the AR is extremely customizable, so if that is something you are interested in, you might think about it.

I am in the market for one of these as well, and have decided to get an AR (actually, I'm seriously considering building it from parts, mainly for the experience of doing it). However, I WILL eventually have a Kalashnikov, as well. In fact, before I'm done, I'm sure I will have several of each. Good Luck!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the input. Greatly appreciated!!! :)

I have made my purchase and picked up an AR. You can check it out below.

So far i have got it sighted at about 30/40 yards in dead bullseye (center of dime), however when shooting at double that range it will not hit more than 10x that size of target (fire extinguisher). Any thoughts about getting this corrected? I'm not sure if it's the scope being mounted on the carrying handle making this huge difference, or if it's a cheap scope issue. For reference I was using the scope to shoot not the fixed sights. I know that its not the shooter as my father and myself were hitting bullseye's on the dime and neither hitting at 100-120 yards. Info much obliged!

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
What is the twist on your barrel, and what size/grain were you shooting?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also looking for a good bag/case that I can fit this into with current configuration.

I'm not even sure if there will be a bag out there that will hold this tall beast with the scope on the handle.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
If you ever intend to travel with it, Pelican makes an amazing case. And if you trace your AR and send them the trace, they will custom cut the foam inside the case to fit your particular AR. Here's their website if you're interested....

http://www.pelican.com

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think that is a little overkill. I really don't intend on traveling with it as I am not certain of the federal/state laws on an AR-15. I really don't feel like going to jail anytime soon. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts