National Gun Forum banner

Air Force to allow uniformed members to wear turbans, hijabs, beards in new dress cod

746 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  friendof2nd 
#1 ·
https://www.foxnews.com/us/air-forc...beards-in-new-dress-code-update-officials-say

The United States Air Force updated its official dress code policy this month, in observance of religious practices, to allow military personnel to wear turbans or hijabs as a part of the uniform.
The Air Force released an update to the “Dress and Personal Appearance of Air Force Personnel” code on Feb. 7, now permitting airmen to request a waiver to wear religious apparel while in uniform as long as they are “neat and conservative.”
The material used for headwear must resemble the color of the assigned uniform. This includes camouflage, and must be worn in a fashion that presents a “professional and well-groomed appearance.”

Airman 1st Class Harpreetinder Singh Bajwa was granted an historic religious accommodation by the Air Force allowing him to wear a turban, beard, and unshorn hair in keeping with his Sikh faith. (ACLU)
In addition to religious apparel, members also can request permission to have unshorn beards and unshorn hair. If the length of the beard exceeds 2 inches, it must be “rolled an or tied” to meet the new standards.
The code has been updated to include hijabs, beards, turban or under-turban/patka, unshorn beards, unshorn hair, and indoor/outdoor head coverings.
The Air Force will be able to deny any request if it “furthers a compelling governmental interest.”

The United States Air Force updated its official dress code policy this month, in observance of religious practices, to allow military personnel to wear turbans or hijabs as a part of the uniform.
The Air Force released an update to the “Dress and Personal Appearance of Air Force Personnel” code on Feb. 7, now permitting airmen to request a waiver to wear religious apparel while in uniform as long as they are “neat and conservative.”
The material used for headwear must resemble the color of the assigned uniform. This includes camouflage, and must be worn in a fashion that presents a “professional and well-groomed appearance.”

Airman 1st Class Harpreetinder Singh Bajwa was granted an historic religious accommodation by the Air Force allowing him to wear a turban, beard, and unshorn hair in keeping with his Sikh faith. (ACLU)
In addition to religious apparel, members also can request permission to have unshorn beards and unshorn hair. If the length of the beard exceeds 2 inches, it must be “rolled an or tied” to meet the new standards.
The code has been updated to include hijabs, beards, turban or under-turban/patka, unshorn beards, unshorn hair, and indoor/outdoor head coverings.
The Air Force will be able to deny any request if it “furthers a compelling governmental interest.”

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
It is an interesting challenge to consider the new found right to wear hijabs and turbans if the individual works on or around aircraft. Turbines are not picky, they suck everything in! I am curious how they will handle, say a crew chief who needs to perform engine intake inspections which always require all unnecessary stuff to be removed from your uniform and a white bunny suit over your uniform...I think they are making some errors in judgment to accommodate...stupid move in my opinion.

BTW, I am a Christian, and there is no way I would have worn any sort of pin on my uniform on the flightline. It is foolish to carry or wear stuff that might find its way into an engine or a cockpit. People don’t have to wear stuff to have faith. It is a heart thing! :smile:

#3 ·
Seldom, if ever, is anything gained by a loosening of standards. While I am not surprised at the relaxing of AFR 35-10 standards, I am glad it is long after I retired. I never thought there was a need to loosen standards within military ranks; changes could be beneficial, but just loosening to accommodate is foolishness.

#7 ·
USN Uniform Regs: We were allowed to wear one religious emblem around the neck that had to be concealed by your t-shirt. It didn't matter what your religion is, the same rule applied to all members regardless of rank. Once you start making exceptions it becomes a slippery slope of inclusion, Pastafarians will be next.

#10 ·
The same was true in the Air Force too, as long as it was hidden under the shirt. These new accommodating regulations are problematic in my opinion. Course they did not ask me... Part of the concept of the uniform was to unify all members under the same standards; unity is essential to an effective military organization.

#9 ·
Well, I just decided the Air Force is not for me.

If the military has a dress code, such dress code should be mandatory to every one regardless of religion, I do not agree to allow the wearing of turbans, beards, earrings, hijabs, etc., etc, etc

If you do not like the code, then go to you country or go to the country were such stupidity is allowed and serve such country. This is a situation were we are allowing foreign customs dictated changes over our own customs.
If the individual is not willing to follow and acclimate to our customs, then stay the hell out.

Reactions: GeorgeandSugar
#12 ·
"Snowflakes" are to timid to serve when it is realized that they have to, Oh boy! hold a gun, what a terrible ordeal!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.