National Gun Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Excellent post!

I get combat handguns and read most of Mass's articles.

I would bet there is not one in a hundred of us that has set up this team concept or has a lawyers phone number in his/her wallet. I am talking about a lawyer that specializes in gun related incidents.

I had a couple of numbers at one time but don't have a clue where they are. I do know enough to say I feared for my life and then shut the heck up until a lawyer is available.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In Al. we have adopted the "castle doctrine" & stand your ground clause, which is suposed to protect you from the leagle system. I don't think it has ever been tested here yet. You may still end up in a leagle battle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great read, really makes you think. It's easy to think about all the things you need to prepare to defend yourself, but I've never really pondered the aftermath.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is good, I had two guys brake down my door in Yucca Valley CA. in 2004 I went out with one of the guys girlfriend and she got mad at me and had him and his friend pay me a visit,they did not have a weapon, I did but my good ones where at my brothers house, I used a bowie knife and I will tell you they don't fall like they do in the movies I just pissed them off and the two of them got that knife away from me we all went to the hospital. the cops picked them guys up later like the next day I think. I was in ICU. What I did not have to do was prove that I had a right to stab them, the broken door and door jam did it for me,they where knocking first trying to get me to come out or open the door if had I would have had to most likely go to court and defend myself. Also I think and nobody can change it in me 99% of the time the cops don't show-up till it's over.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Some states are ridiculous. I am lucky I live in a state where it doesn't matter what you use so long as it is a clean shoot. In fact, you can't even be sued if your shooting is clean. Other states will be out to get you for using "unnecessary force" if you are using anything other than a shotgun. Interestingly enough, a shotgun is one of the most devastating short range weapons you can use.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Outstanding post ! , liked it as much as i like my shotgun ! . Personally because i spend most of my time out in the country i would be inclined to follow these three simple steps : Shoot , Shovel , Shut-up ! ,
but thats just me . Ayoobs advice is always golden , again thanks for the post .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guys, I am new here and not living in USA. However, my cousin, whom has been living in California for past 40yrs + would be getting his first pistol in a couple months AFTER he has finished his range course and etc. I am thinking about getting him a Book like what OP has summed, but am unsure of which title to get. I know Ayoob is legendary, but which one is suitable for him to see through the complication if one day, god forbid, he has to go through what OP mentioned. Btw, avid gun enthusiast here, albeit the place I am from ban guns totally. And thanks in advance for any recommendation.

·
Premium Member
14,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I recommend both the Korwin and the Ayoob books to all my students. I try to re-read them myself every few yrs. Also, both the "Don't Talk to Police" and the "Response" videos are valuable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am sitting here talking to the wife about this very same thing, we still have allot to talk about because this can't be discussed in one sitting... Good stuff...

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
I have been preaching these points for over 30yrs to students. The toughest thing to do is remember You just used lethal force to protect yourself or some one else. Now DON'T talk yourself into a cell. Zimmernan would not have had near the problems it he had KEPT his mouth shut.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I have been preaching these points for over 30yrs to students. The toughest thing to do is remember You just used lethal force to protect yourself or some one else. Now DON'T talk yourself into a cell. Zimmerman[sp] would not have had near the problems it he had KEPT his mouth shut.
I agree with the first part but I seem to remember Zimmerman was vindicated by the police investigation started at the crime scene which probably included his statements as they determined it was self defense.

His problems came with the public outcry that justice be served by his arrest and he be charged with murder. Justice was served but some that cry for justice are only satisfied when the outcome is what they think it should be or want it to be.

For the record: I do not agree with the actions Zimmerman appeared to take but agree that he had his day in court and was legally exonerated. The moral question remains and I can fill pages with my opinion.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.