National Gun Forum banner

121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Their brain may block the memory, but the open ear canal doesn't block the blast from causing hearing damage
That is very true, but my point is that if you use good hearing protection for practice, you are fine. If you truly have to use a gun for self-defense, hearing loss is a small concern compared to being killed. And the brain blocking the perception means a person can still function in a gunfight. And BTW, .22 is quieter, but it is above hearing damage levels too. So no gun is safe without hearing protection, but you very likely won't have it in an SD situation.

I have been next to a firing gun without hearing protection twice in my life. My ears ached for a while, but I can still hear very well. Think of all the soldiers in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. By all rights, most of them should be completely deaf. But most are not. That is not to say many of the them did not develop hearing issues after many, many rounds, but it is not an all or nothing thing.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
12,877 Posts
Training with a .22LR has very little to do with recoil although in some cases, it matters. Not everyone is the same, teacher or student.

Learning on a .22LR is a way of ensuring that proper technique and form are learned and to avoid developing bad habits and reflexes.

--Wag--
In addition ... it is also a great tool for not jading a new shooter and completely turning them off to firearms.
There is a reason we craw before we walk and walk before we run.

Reactions: Wag

·
Registered
111 Posts
I wished we had something like that in my area it would be so helpful for anyone that wants to check out different guns.
As a woman and I am sure many will disagree i hate the fact guns come in purple pink and all sort of different colors.
Guns are are not a fashion statement and not an accessory there a tool. just because you make them pink does not make them cute.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
That is very true, but my point is that if you use good hearing protection for practice, you are fine. If you truly have to use a gun for self-defense, hearing loss is a small concern compared to being killed. And the brain blocking the perception means a person can still function in a gunfight. And BTW, .22 is quieter, but it is above hearing damage levels too. So no gun is safe without hearing protection, but you very likely won't have it in an SD situation.

I have been next to a firing gun without hearing protection twice in my life. My ears ached for a while, but I can still hear very well. Think of all the soldiers in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. By all rights, most of them should be completely deaf. But most are not. That is not to say many of the them did not develop hearing issues after many, many rounds, but it is not an all or nothing thing.
And I have been exposed to gunfire without hearing protection more times that that - hunting comes to mind - and I have severe high-end hearing loss and constant "ear crickets" and have had therm for 30 years. I now wear my muffs when bird hunting

·
Super Moderator
11,512 Posts
I'd rock that thing at the range just to piss people off. :p

--Wag--

Reactions: Speed
121 - 127 of 127 Posts