National Gun Forum banner

81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Crazy Cat Lady
1,496 Posts
Another resource for females and firearms. Unfortunately she hasn't made a post in a while, but it seems like there is a ton of good info and reviews. The CC holster section information seems pretty extensive and a lot of it is helpful to people of small frames and statures (that doesn't include me... *cough*). There's also some stuff on knives and even some recipes and travel stuff...

FALIA REVIEWS: MY VIDEOS
FALIA REVIEWS: CONCEALED CARRY & HOLSTERS

·
Registered
31 Posts
Best scenario is to try and find one to let her shoot it first. Many of the best firearms are available as rentals or maybe you know someone with the same handgun.

My wife is small and can barely reach the trigger on a J frame revolver. She can not reach the trigger on a Beretta Tomcat unless the hammer is cocked first. She can however shoot a 1911 just fine because the reach on this single action pistol is short even though the weapon is big. Other handguns she is comfortable shooting are:

Any Kahr pistol
Kel-Tec P32 or P3AT
Ruger LCP, LC 380 or LC 9 (nice pistols for the price)
Any single stack 1911
Most older single action pistols

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wanted to add to previous post:

Ruger SR22, Mark Series or 22/45 pistols and any single action revolver.

I tried to edit my original post but it would not go.

·
FAMILY MAN
3 Posts
I tried to get my wife to shoot with me and found out that she didn't want to shoot my .45 caliber colt mark 4 series 70 because it hurt her wrist. so I started her out wit a .380 cobra and she loved it. now she has learned to shoot accurately with a shotgun fired from the hip. your article is informative and accurate , thanks for posting what others might not know.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I tried to get my wife to shoot with me and found out that she didn't want to shoot my .45 caliber colt mark 4 series 70 because it hurt her wrist. so I started her out wit a .380 cobra and she loved it. now she has learned to shoot accurately with a shotgun fired from the hip. your article is informative and accurate , thanks for posting what others might not know.
I find the .380 to be snappier than my Kimber .45

·
Banned
20 Posts
start them with airsoft, save money, teach safely, get lots of time on muzzle control without lethal worries, and without time money and ammo wasted on range trips. they'll be way more confident and satisfied when they finally do start with the .22.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
In my early teens I started shooting with a .25 and soon after upgraded to a 9mm. My mom had a Browning HiPower which I decided was mine and pretty much stuck to that until I got my paws on a 1911 and I was hooked.................

Whenever I am asked about what gun a man should buy for his wife, I always suggest taking her to a range where they have a few different calibers to rent. Most woman will start with either a .22 or a .38. Once she has tried a few and decided what she prefers, I would still advise against buying straight away. Let her mull over the days shooting, and then return to the range another day to try them again. It is far better for her to be active in the decision and thereafter happy with her firearm. If she starts off with a positive experience, you will more than likely gain a very enthusiastic shooting partner.

And if she's anything like me, she will probably be suggesting new purchases quite frequently!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I thought I'd share my experience. My wife was interested in a carry pistol - she is interested in self defense, but otherwise not a gun person. After showing he my pistols and a few lessons on safety and familiarization we went shopping. I'd scouted the local gun shops and took her to the ones who had women on the other side of the counter. I was actually surprised at how many there were in my area. I let her drive the conversation and decide what type of handgun she wanted. It was definitely interesting to listen to the female perspective while mostly keeping my mouth shut. My only input was that it needs to fir her hands well and be easy to operate. Outside of the I kept my mouth shut and let her decide. Ultimately after several trips, she decided she wanted a semi-automatic and eventually chose an M&P 9mm. The key parts for her was how well it fit her hand and the fact that the M&P pistols have a fairly light recoil spring and are easy to rack with small hands and long nails.

After shooting it a bit, she decided she wanted something smaller that she could carry concealed. We bought her an M&P Shield with the same safety configuration as the 9mm so they would work identically. I also bought an M&P 22 and a shield for myself as well. These purchases were mostly funded by selling other pistols. My goal was to have all the semi-autos be easily usable by either of us with the exact same battery of arms. It's a compromise, but has a lot of advantages, most important of which is that I don't have to worry about her not being able to use whatever pistol is closest in a stressful situation.

Reactions: dancingheretik

·
Registered
894 Posts
Well after much looking and holding the wife has made a decision. She wants a Kimber Micro Bel Air, going to get it tomorrow. She's from NJ and never shot anything until we got married and she wasn't big on firearms even then. With what's going on and the Sheriff's around the country saying we need to carry all the time for our safety from Jihad Muhammad, she's ready. I have made comments about the .380 being snappy, however I should have said a Walther PPK is snappy because the way the barrel is solid to the frame. I can't believe it but she seems excited to be getting her own firearm, she says the Tiffany Blue is her color :biggrin5:

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,575 Posts

It looks a lot like the Colt Mustang.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You tap a few .22`s into major arteries or the heart, they will go down. Plus, I have always believed that for someone unfamiliar with guns, a .22 is the only way to properly train/teach them. Then slowly introduce other calibers to them. JMO
I have told many people the same thing. Start a newbie with a .22, then when they are confident and willing, pull them up to a 9mm or maybe a .380. It's a gradual thing to raise their attention and skill level to where they can handle something bigger.

·
"You talkin to me?"
4,295 Posts
Advise When Purchasing a Firearm You Expect Your Wife to Use

put it her hands, let her feel it, let her get used to the feel of it, let her test it on the range. If she likes it buy it. if not ,don't buy it and look for something else.
simple as it gets

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have rifle experience from growing up with hunters. I never held a pistol until I was 21 and shopping for something fun to shoot. My husband and I spent the day at the range and rented different guns. I ended up buying a sig 1911 .22Lr and loved it. Once I became comfortable and familiar with the pistol I upgraded to a Smith and Wesson M&P 9c for my carry gun. And I love it too. Head I just dove into the larger gun I don't think I would enjoy it as much. The 22 offers all the fun without the bite.

PS I have the gun experience, my husband didn't start in until after I bought my pistol so he was little help in my decision making process.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Strongly recommend a full size for women. Though they are a little more heavy, recoil is far less and they feel much more comfortable not only at the range but "IF" the need arises for action. My wife carries a Glock 17 and a Beretta 92FS. She previously carried a Glock 39 (45 Gap) which was much more compact and light weight but was far to jumpy for her. Just my 2 cents...

·
Apprentice
19 Posts
Let me start my saying I am not an expert but both my wife and I shoot in competition and my wife is the only woman at our local club (600 members) who shoots defensive pistol, IDPA and 3 gun. She is also active in the NRA's Women On Target.

This is what we have learned: Men buy guns that most women won't shoot. That is, men will buy that ideal self defense gun, be it a 9mm or a shotgun and hand it to their wife. They might get them to shoot it once. As a result, my wife has been pressed into service by a number of our male club members who ask her to get their wives to shoot. She normally finds it an easy task. The first thing she does is take away whatever gun the husband has provided and hands them a 22 pistol. She moves the target in close and works them through the basics. It is amazing to watch the transformation from a timid to confident shooter. Even problems can be fun. Just last weekend, we each worked with wives of friends. I took away a 38 snub nose from my charge and handed her a Browning Buckmark. She loved it. My wife worked with another whose husband had just purchased a
Sig 22 after she refused to shoot a 45 cal. Since the Sig is notorious for feed issues, you would think that the "student" would be frustrated. But, since my wife was able to patiently explain why you needed to understand clearing issues, her student later said that learning to handle problems was the most interesting and fun part of the day. We started with two women who did not want to handle a gun much less be at the range and ended up with two new excited shooters.

Short Version-don't buy something you want-start them with a 22. Better to hit with a 22 than miss with a 45.
I loved this post. Very insightful. I first tried to get my fiance to shoot at the range with my compact 40. Not a good idea. The next thing I got was a full size 380. Alot more controllable for her but it was a hi point and that thing is so damn annoying to take apart and clean that I don't even shoot it anymore. I ended up buying her the Taurus pt111 g2 millennium. It's compact for carry and also a small enough caliber that her being naturally hun shy won't be too discouraged. She can hit the target with that atleast.

Good read. Thanks for pointing me here. I've thought about the idea of getting a .22 for my wife just so she would be more comfortable with it, but I doubt a .22 is going to take down an intruder on bath salts or some other drug.
Those are my thoughts. I have a giant of a friend 240 and 6'6 he took 3 shots from a 22 pistol as a night club bouncer and still grabbed and mangled the guy who shot him. He even took a shot to the head and it barely cracked his skull.
You tap a few .22`s into major arteries or the heart, they will go down. Plus, I have always believed that for someone unfamiliar with guns, a .22 is the only way to properly train/teach them. Then slowly introduce other calibers to them. JMO
My girlnwouldnt be able to pin point these shots in a high stress situation. The best I could hope for is firing into the torso.
Good post.

I am envious that your wife is so talented. Love to hear the stories about more women getting into the shooting sports since I think its one answer to retaining our gun rights long term.

I always do the same when introducing women to firearms. Start with the 22 caliber. I use a S&W Kit Revolver and its a joy to shoot. They love it and move up the caliber ladder quickly. But if they want to stay with the 22 thats ok too.

Tell your wife Good Job for me.
I agree. Getting more women gun friendly would definitely be good for our rights considering they are half the population.
Advice When Purchasing a Firearm You Expect Your Wife to Use

The absolute best advice I can give is, take your wife (significant other) with you. Let her pick out the firearm for herself. Do not attempt to influence her choice in any way while she is in the gun store.
I think this makes sense. But if I let the old lady choose she's probably walk away with whatever gun was pink even if it were a piece of crap. Not trying to be sexist just the truth
That girl loves pink lol.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I can see the .22 as a good learning pistol eventually she will progress to a more suitable defense caliber. You start popping .22's in somebody, I'm thinking they will consider stopping whatever they are doing that's getting them shot. They make some good pink guns, just show her a brand you trust.

·
Apprentice
19 Posts
I can see the .22 as a good learning pistol eventually she will progress to a more suitable defense caliber. You start popping .22's in somebody, I'm thinking they will consider stopping whatever they are doing that's getting them shot. They make some good pink guns, just show her a brand you trust.
22 would be great learning gun but like I mentioned my friend took 3 shots from a 22 , the calf, the hip and the head and kept chugging.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am a 72 yo woman who owns a number of guns, my first was actually a Barretta 22short, then 38 S+W Chief Special snub nose, then Walther 22 for target practice, then the S+W Body Guard 380 and my last purchase is the S+W Shield 9mm. I totally agree that for a woman to really start to like shooting if not brought up with it, is to shoot the 22 and get proficient and then move on. My carry gun is a the 9MM Shield and feel great shooting it but when I go to the gun range, I shoot the 22 first for about 50 rounds and then shoot with the 9MM which I carry daily. Women's hands are smaller so the grip is so important, smaller guns are HARDER to rack so that is important consideration, and women being comfortable carrying so it is not taken from them before they can get it out and pointed in the right direction. To tell you the truth, I think MEN and WOMEN should start target practicing with 22 caliper handguns when first learning. Be Safe and Be Well

·
Registered
894 Posts
22 would be great learning gun but like I mentioned my friend took 3 shots from a 22 , the calf, the hip and the head and kept chugging.
Your friend is pretty lucky. I'm not saying .22's knock down but they do kill. Israel got a bunch of 10/22's from Rugers thinking it would be a good way to disperse a violent crowd hitting the leaders and not really hurting anyone. They found out that although they didn't knock anybody down .22's bounce off bones and hit vital organs.

81 - 100 of 127 Posts