National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start my saying I am not an expert but both my wife and I shoot in competition and my wife is the only woman at our local club (600 members) who shoots defensive pistol, IDPA and 3 gun. She is also active in the NRA's Women On Target.

This is what we have learned: Men buy guns that most women won't shoot. That is, men will buy that ideal self defense gun, be it a 9mm or a shotgun and hand it to their wife. They might get them to shoot it once. As a result, my wife has been pressed into service by a number of our male club members who ask her to get their wives to shoot. She normally finds it an easy task. The first thing she does is take away whatever gun the husband has provided and hands them a 22 pistol. She moves the target in close and works them through the basics. It is amazing to watch the transformation from a timid to confident shooter. Even problems can be fun. Just last weekend, we each worked with wives of friends. I took away a 38 snub nose from my charge and handed her a Browning Buckmark. She loved it. My wife worked with another whose husband had just purchased a
Sig 22 after she refused to shoot a 45 cal. Since the Sig is notorious for feed issues, you would think that the "student" would be frustrated. But, since my wife was able to patiently explain why you needed to understand clearing issues, her student later said that learning to handle problems was the most interesting and fun part of the day. We started with two women who did not want to handle a gun much less be at the range and ended up with two new excited shooters.

Short Version-don't buy something you want-start them with a 22. Better to hit with a 22 than miss with a 45.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good read. Thanks for pointing me here. I've thought about the idea of getting a .22 for my wife just so she would be more comfortable with it, but I doubt a .22 is going to take down an intruder on bath salts or some other drug.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
what was that saying.........

the first rule in a gun fight was to have a gun?

there have been plenty of stories of failures to stop with various rounds. While i will agree that bigger is better, I must also agree that not all people are created equal or ever will be when it comes to the firing line. If a 22 promotes accuracy and hit potential, then so be it until something better and bigger comes along that can be handled and controled.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
You tap a few .22`s into major arteries or the heart, they will go down. Plus, I have always believed that for someone unfamiliar with guns, a .22 is the only way to properly train/teach them. Then slowly introduce other calibers to them. JMO

Reactions: Randy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed. When my wife started, she was certain that she would never shoot anything but a 22 pistol. Then she started shooting small bore silhouette. Then one day she picked up my AR (chambered from 7.62x39); another the Glock 23. However, at least 90% of our practice (and with matches we sometimes shoot 1000 plus rounds in a week) is now with 22.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Good post.

I am envious that your wife is so talented. Love to hear the stories about more women getting into the shooting sports since I think its one answer to retaining our gun rights long term.

I always do the same when introducing women to firearms. Start with the 22 caliber. I use a S&W Kit Revolver and its a joy to shoot. They love it and move up the caliber ladder quickly. But if they want to stay with the 22 thats ok too.

Tell your wife Good Job for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are correct that a 22 does have a stopping power issue but the same could be said for a 9mm and most ball ammo. We have discovered that a person (male or female) will only shoot what they are comfortable with. My wife initially said she would never shoot anything but a 22 pistol. Now she shoots ARs, shotguns, 9 mm and 40 cal in competition. I was fortunate in that when my wife decides to do something, nothing interferes. However, she graduated in caliber at her own pace. We are both coached by fellow club members who hold national titles. One of the these absolutely prohibits both of us from being on the range while one is being coached. Similarly, we keep spouses widely separated when working with them. Usually my wife takes the wife and I the Husband. It was only because we had a number of new shooters that I ended up with one of the wives (actually, I was working with two husbands when the female waiting for time with my wife asked me to work with her). I am being long winded but the point is a husband is generally the worst person to teach his wife even when he knows what he is doing. Secondly, a 22 is a great and inexpensive way to practice and all of the skills transfer. For you Glock shooters, we strongly recommend the auto reset trigger and laser firing system (we purchased ours from The Glock Store). Not cheap but a wonderful training tool. We both use it multiple times a day. Good luck with you gun search and get your spouse whatever gun she wants.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good post.

I am envious that your wife is so talented. Love to hear the stories about more women getting into the shooting sports since I think its one answer to retaining our gun rights long term.

I always do the same when introducing women to firearms. Start with the 22 caliber. I use a S&W Kit Revolver and its a joy to shoot. They love it and move up the caliber ladder quickly. But if they want to stay with the 22 thats ok too.

Tell your wife Good Job for me.
Thank you I will. She is the better shooter (and I take a lot of heat about it at the matches).

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
I agree with your comment about a husband being the worst teacher for his wife. By the same logic, I coached Little League baseball for 9 years. I would send my son over to the asst. coach at practice and I would take his 2 sons. They listen to someone they don`t hear yakking all the time. Worked out great. Same with shooting I believe and it helps keep tensions down. And yes, I too would love to see more women involved. My present girlfriend is a good shot also. When she shoots my P345, she gets better groupings than I do. :sosp: And with her own 3 handguns, lets just say I`m well behaved around her. :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good advice with the women you're dealing with, who are scared about shooting. That said, if my instructor had handed me a .22 just because I'm a "girl" (knowing that my husband used a 9mm in the same class), I might have knocked him upside the head with it! :lol:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I understand completely. But we hand all new shooters, male or female, a 22 and we both do at least 90% of our practice with a 22. Remember, all skills transfer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We train with both. For new shooters (since self defense is the stated purpose), we recommend starting with a 22 pistol (we use a Ruger 10/22 and a Browning Buckmark. Ruger has a new 22 out that many like and it seems to be fairly accurate, although I am not fond of the trigger). We have tried the Walther 22 (don't care for it) and the Sig is know for feed problems. Smith & Wesson is also used often and seems to be reliable.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Every living creature I ever shot with a 22 either dropped or ran off. This includes things from hogs to spiders. Isn't this the purpose of a self defence gun?

·
Super Moderator
11,194 Posts
Great post. Hope everyone reads it.

Sticking it.

--Wag--

·
Registered
893 Posts
I read an article about the Israeli military getting some .22's (they were Ruger 10/22's) thinking that they could use them for riot control. Their intent was to hit a few of the leaders in the leg and that would tone down the riot. The problem they had was that the .22 was deadlier then they thought. They shot the targets only wanting to wound them but the bullet would bounce off the bone in the leg and travel through vital organs in the abdomen or even the chest. They ended up ditching the plans to use the .22 for riot control. The .22 might not drop somebody like a 9mm, .40, or .45 but it is a deadly round that is more than able to discourage an attacker. Even more so when you consider you can spit multiple rounds out with relative ease.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good advice with the women you're dealing with, who are scared about shooting. That said, if my instructor had handed me a .22 just because I'm a "girl" (knowing that my husband used a 9mm in the same class), I might have knocked him upside the head with it! :lol:
LOL, I was going to mention something similar. If you tell a woman she needs to start with a .22 because she is female (ie, "weak") many won't be too pleased.
Best to present in a gender neutral way, ie this is how all new shooters should start, and then progress at their own speed.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Kowboy, tell your wife thats some good shooting!:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 127 Posts