National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Advice on a SCOPE for a Remington Model 783 Ammo Chambered in .308 Winchester under $200. Got the rifle for just range fun on a deal and want advice on an acceptable less expensive gun scope (corrected)

·
Aim true !
11,332 Posts
Im confused with the post. You buying a rifle for 70 bucks? Or ammo?

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
What is a "Gunsite"?

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Im confused with the post. You buying a rifle for 70 bucks? Or ammo?
I believe he bought the rifle without a scope and wants to add a gunsite for less than $70

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
I believe he bought the rifle without a scope and wants to add a gunsite for less than $70
I think you may be right after reading it twice. Looks like it may have bases so he would need rings and a scope. For $70 that's not going to happen and if you do whatever it is probably won't hold up to the .308 recoil.

·
AZHerper
4,116 Posts
Hate to be like this but, this (NGF) is a "gun site". He wants a "gun sight" for less than 70 bucks.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I bought a T/C Compass in .308 recently. I got a Vortex Crossfire 2-7 variable and Vortex rings for $175. It seems to hold up to .308 recoil just fine. It was not the best optic I could have gotten, or the worst, but it was what I felt comfortable spending for the quality I got.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
You should have bought one that was already a GUNSITE like I did.

I have the model they were showing except it has a defect and the bolt handle is on the wrong side.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
You get what you pay for in optics so don’t scrimp on it for your new rifle! Even if you have to save money for awhile, buy the best scope that you can afford.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Advice on a SCOPE for a Remington Model 783 Ammo Chambered in .308 Winchester under $200. Got the rifle for just range fun on a deal and want advice on an acceptable less expensive gun scope (corrected)

View attachment 120263
I updated it with my typos and realize now that getting any Scope around $200 is possible and handle the recoil. Thanks for the comments so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought a T/C Compass in .308 recently. I got a Vortex Crossfire 2-7 variable and Vortex rings for $175. It seems to hold up to .308 recoil just fine. It was not the best optic I could have gotten, or the worst, but it was what I felt comfortable spending for the quality I got.
Would you be kind enough to share the exact model of Vortex Crossfire 2-7?

·
Aim true !
11,332 Posts
I have bushnell banners on both of my 30.06 rifles. The Remington 770 came with one from the factory. It's 13 years old. My 760 it was added after. That scope on the 760 is ancient lol.The numbers and letters on it turned yellow. Not sure how the newer banners are.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I don't know how much you paid but there are a lot of folks that make budget combo rifle w/scope in the 3-$400 range. Lets start with a 783 w/scope.

I don't hear a lot of complaints or bad press on the budget combos so am a little surprised how they do it so cheap.

That's an entry level budget gun but still challenging to get a comparable scope with a tight budget. I'm not a big optics snob but all of mine have lifetime warranty's. Companies can talk about how good their equipment is all day but untill they are willing to back up the talk it's just that.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Super Moderator
14,530 Posts
It looks like the mounts are already on the rifle. All you need are rings and a scope. You can get those (for range fun) for under $200 easy. WalMart has them. Since you're asking these types of questions, I'm going to labor under the assumption that you haven't done this before... so, with that assumption (those thing always bite me in the butt), you should go to a gun shop and ask your question. They will sell you a scope and mount it for you as well, possibly for a fee. They probably won't fleece you too bad on the scope and rings, probably will make sure everything is tight, probably wont bend the tube, probably won't cant the scope too bad and may eve bore sight the thing for you. Then you can take it to the range and sight it in if you can find some ammunition for sale someplace. Then you can start having fun...

Alan

·
Registered
983 Posts
Save, save, save.

SAVE yourself the eyestrain.

Save yourself the aggravation of losing zero.

Save up, till you have about 400$, for a real scope. Most of us don't worry about paying too much for a scope.
We worry about paying too little...

·
Super Moderator
14,530 Posts
Save, save, save.

SAVE yourself the eyestrain.

Save yourself the aggravation of losing zero.

Save up, till you have about 400$, for a real scope. Most of us don't worry about paying too much for a scope.
We worry about paying too little...

You just want a nice scope on the rifle for the next guy...

Alan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It looks like the mounts are already on the rifle. All you need are rings and a scope. You can get those (for range fun) for under $200 easy. WalMart has them. Since you're asking these types of questions, I'm going to labor under the assumption that you haven't done this before... so, with that assumption (those thing always bite me in the butt), you should go to a gun shop and ask your question. They will sell you a scope and mount it for you as well, possibly for a fee. They probably won't fleece you too bad on the scope and rings, probably will make sure everything is tight, probably wont bend the tube, probably won't cant the scope too bad and may eve bore sight the thing for you. Then you can take it to the range and sight it in if you can find some ammunition for sale someplace. Then you can start having fun...

Alan
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 23 Posts