National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gidday All,
I was wanting to get some advice on a Muzzle Brake.I was thinking of getting one for my Savage 10 GRS 6.5 Creedmoor but I have heard mixed reviews about them saying they can effect accuracy. Anyone had any experience with them? Pros and Cons. Also any recommendation on a good brand/model?
Thank in advance.
Cheers - Stu :)

·
Live Free
2,763 Posts
I have had good success with my Savage 10 FCP using the Ruger brake for the RPR. I was not concerned with recoil reduction (but it is good), but with staying on target. This brake allows me to do that. There was a slight POI shift upon installation, but the rifle groups one jagged hole at 100. In addition, it is not extremely loud, though it is louder than without.

The data Rivervalley posted is quite helpful, wish I had seen it before, though I am satisfied.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had good success with my Savage 10 FCP using the Ruger brake for the RPR. I was not concerned with recoil reduction (but it is good), but with staying on target. This brake allows me to do that. There was a slight POI shift upon installation, but the rifle groups one jagged hole at 100. In addition, it is not extremely loud, though it is louder than without.

The data Rivervalley posted is quite helpful, wish I had seen it before, though I am satisfied.
Thanks AgedWarrior for your contribution much appreciated. Cheers - Stu

·
Registered
650 Posts
For a 6.5 Creedmoor, aren't you worried it will reduce recoil to the point you lose the extended range advantage of the caliber ?

IMO, unless you're dealing with something like 50 BMG, they're borrowing trouble. Manufacturers keep trashing 30 caliber designs, by
adding a muzzle break, either because they "look cool", or it just entered their empty little skull to do it.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
For a 6.5 Creedmoor, really ? You got training wheels, on your Kawasaki Z-1, too ?

IMO, unless you're dealing with something like 50 BMG, they're borrowing trouble. People keep trashing 30 caliber designs, by
adding a muzzle break, either because they "look cool", or it just entered their empty little skull to do it.
Borrowing trouble in what way?

·
Registered
515 Posts
I had a 6.5 Creedmoor. A Savage Axis II HB with a 6-24x50 scope. Shot just over 3/4 moa at 100yds with factory ammo out of the box. I sold it.
After shooting 80 rounds one day, I felt it for the next 2 months.
I have had shoulder surgery and still have stuff torn as well as some arthritis in it. If I could have put a decent muzzle brake on it I probably would have kept it.
That being said, I also have a.224 Valkyrie that shoots only 1.5-2 moa with a muzzle break on it. Under 1moa without one. I have a .223 Wylde barrel that will shoot under 1/2moa with the brake I have on it.
Do they help or hurt? That depends on the person, the gun, the ammo and the brake.
A brake can make a caliber manageable for some people that would otherwise not be able to tolerate it for one reason or another.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For a 6.5 Creedmoor, really ? You got training wheels, on your Kawasaki Z-1, too ?

IMO, unless you're dealing with something like 50 BMG, they're borrowing trouble. People keep trashing 30 caliber designs, by
In my opinion this forum should be a place where people feel safe enough to ask whatever question they like without being chastised by someone like you Russ. We are all at different stages of our shooting and like you Russ we all started with no knowledge at all and have worked our way up, even the most experienced in whatever field ought to not stop learning. Like AgedWarrior I am interested in a muzzle brake for staying on target, I’m not worried about recoil but I’m guessing if you knew anything about muzzle brakes you should have already know that is why some people fit them. Russ if you have any knowledge to share maybe find the time to encourage people rather than beat them down with negative comments. I’ll keep an eye out for any of your posts to see if I can help in any way. Cheers – Stu

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
My fellow has this one on his 16" 5.56 and he likes it a lot.
Not sure if they make one for 6.5.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts