National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some advice on a new rifle purchase. I'm interested in buying a new rifle for whitetail hunting in Wisconsin. I've been using a Remington model 870 .270 winchester the past four years. I like the pump action, but would love a semi auto. I have been hunting in central wisconsin where the terrain is mixed forest and open fields. I want something that can punch through the thickets but has as flat a trajectory as possible. I don't feel comfortable shooting beyond 250 yards. I also want less recoil than the .270 has. I'm thinking either a .243, .25-06, or .257 Roberts. Any comments?

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
I've been using a Remington model 870 .270 winchester the past four years.
I believe it is a Remington Model 7600.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Sounds like .308 would be your ticket, although the calibers you mention are each suitable for the type of hunting you mention. BUT... put a question like that to a gang like this and you're liable to get about 18 different answers -- each presented with increasing fervor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Popeye-my bad, it is a model 7600. It is also my bother-in-laws rifle. It is nice but it's time to get my own. I am looking for some sound advice. I have read alot but would like some first hand knowledge for others who know. Not a salesman pitch.

·
55,659 Posts
Punch through thickets. That precludes the .243 Win.
Flat trajectory. Bye-bye .257 Roberts.
Less recoil than the .270 Win. There goes the .25-06 Rem.

Not much help. Am I?

Have you considered a lever action rifle chambered in .45-70 Gvt?
The lever action gives you fast follow-up shots.
A 22" barrel lever action rifle balances easily in the hand.
The big .45 caliber projectile will definitely smash through thickets.
Recoil with the 300 gr and 405 gr projectiles is more of a push than a slap.
While in no way can its trajectory can be considered flat, more of a rainbow really, it is accurate well beyond 250 yards.
The big, slow bullet does not ruin meat. You can eat right up to the hole.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I don't know of anything other than a.50 bmg or a bushaxe that will "punch thru thickets"
A .25-06 will work just fine on whitetails out to about 350 yds. It is accurate, soft recoil
and won't cost a bundle to shoot. Sierra 117 or Accubond 110 should give you good results.
I don't like ballistic tips, they will kill the deer but might not leave an exit wound. This can
limit the blood trail and might make game recovery difficult.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To push through heavy brush you need three things speed (Muzzle Velocity) a Heavier lead (Weight in grains) and a stable round ie. FMJ.(Full metal jacket) a hollow point will splash on the first thing it contacts. I would use a Nosler Partition as it is a jacketed soft point with a steel base So it will hold its weight.
I personally love the 300 mag in a 200 grain . I can launch them out at 3200 f/sec. But it recoils more than the 270.
So I would stay with the 270. And shoot a 135 grain Nosler Partition . Quick stable Incredible penetration, And the steel base will punch through a 6" poplar at 100 yards with enough energy to kill a deer on the other side.
I shoot them out of my 270 out to 500 yards.

Good hunting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the .243, 30-06 and .308. The .243 can be deflected by a june bug, the 30-06 works good but the .308 is really the best IMHO.

·
55,659 Posts
To push through heavy brush you need three things speed (Muzzle Velocity) a Heavier lead (Weight in grains) and a stable round ie. FMJ.(Full metal jacket)
Hmmm. I grew up in Maine many, many years ago. If you want to do some "brush hunting" go to central Maine.

Now, the favorite rifle calibers used by the locals were, in order,
.30-30 Win.
.35 Rem.
.45-70 Gvt.

None of these rounds are particularly fast. In today's world they are considered slow. It is this lack of speed and their weight that keep these projectiles from deflecting when plowing through brush. A light, fast moving projectile will deflect easily because of its speed and lack of weight. It takes quite a lot to deflect a relatively slow and heavy projectile.

The .30-30 Win. uses 150gr - 180gr projectiles.
The .35 Rem. uses 180gr - 200gr projectiles.
The .45-70 Gvt. uses 300gr - 405gr projectiles.

Except in the hands of experts both the .30-30 Win. and the .35 Rem. are 100 yard cartridges. An experienced shooter can regularly hit his target at 500 yards with the .45-70 Gvt.

Hunting with FMJ projectiles shows a definite lack of respect toward the game being hunted. The FMJ round is designed to wound rather than to kill. That is why it is illegal to hunt big game with these projectiles everywhere that I am aware of.

A simple soft point (cup and draw) projectile is sufficient to suffice. Hollow points are unnecessary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts