National Gun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a relatively new shooter and I would like some advice on purchasing a new gun. I already have a Springfield XD Subcompact 9mm, which I love and I keep with me almost 24/7. I just ordered a CZ Tactical Sport 9mm, which I am looking forward to getting for target shooting, and I have a Sig 229, which I have decided to sell. I would like to replace the Sig with a .45 pistol. It would primarily be kept for home defense, so it would have to be extremely reliable. But I also want something that is fairly accurate and easy to shoot. Since I am more concerned about accuracy and low recoil, I would rather find something that has a long barrel and some weight to it. I tried a HK USP, but that was a little too light and had more recoil than what I am looking for. I have also tried a 1911, which I liked, but I have long hands and the grips were a little too narrow for my liking, and I would ideally like to find something that can also hold 10+ rounds in the magazine. The 1911 I shot was either a Springfield or a Smith & Wesson, but it was noticeably dirty and it failed to load and failed to eject far too frequently. I am willing to go down to a 8+1 capacity if it I need to, but I wanted a little more input first. I was considering one of the double stack 1911's from Para, Springfield, or Kimber, but I read about feeding issues with all three models. I have also been considering the CZ 97B and the EAA Witness Hunter with the 6" barrel. I have read almost nothing but good reviews on the CZ, but I cannot find a single review on the EAA (except for a couple on the 10mm variant). I would like something with a 5+" barrel length, an 8+" overall length, and a weight of 2.5 lbs. or more. I probably will not buy one until after I get my income tax refund, but I am willing to pay up to around $1,000. I would, however, prefer to spend less. I don't care what it looks like, and I'm not planning on mounting anything on it or making any modifications to it (except possibly the grip). If you have owned or fired any of the guns that I have mentioned above, or you can think of another one which you think would suit my needs, please feel free to share your thoughts with me. Thanks!

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,725 Posts
The CZ97 is a BIG gun. Hold/shoot one, if you can, before purchasing.

Witness pistols are CZ clones.

SIG-Sauer P.220 is 8+1 capacity but is it a superior handgun.

Wilson Combat's KZ-45 is the only double stack 1911 style pistol I would recommend. It costs more than $1K.

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,013 Posts
Well, I am a Glock guy that owns a SIG P220R in 45acp. I had a G21, and a G30. Both very nice, and accurate. Both got traded because they just didn't fit me well. Glock has introduced their new slim version of these 45 auto pistols and the G21SF is worth a look. My idea of hi-cap is anything over 10 in the magazine. If you want carry options, then hi-cap shouldn't play the most important role in the decision process IMO. Para Ordinance also makes hi-cap 45 autos based on the 1911 style with staggered column magazines of course. I don't know much about the Springfield XD's, but have heard alot about them. I do believe the Glocks could very well be the best concerning cost however.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
brier-49 said:
Para-Ordinance P 14/45,very accurate and reliable. I never have any problems with mine.
Ditto. Carried a P14/45 on duty for several years...very reliable and very accurate. I have big hands and the double stacked mag was no problem at all. One of my friends now uses it at the Douglas County, Colo. Sheriff Dept (he is a range officer there) and he shoots the hell out of it with nothing but praise...and he is a 'Glock' man even.

He likes it so much, I ain't seen it in a spell now.

·
Registered
648 Posts
HK USP .45 13+1 capacity. As far as accuracy is concerned. Sig 220 and/or the USP are in the same catagory. I do not belive you can find a finer piece than either of those 2.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
owtlaw said:
HK USP .45 13+1 capacity. As far as accuracy is concerned. Sig 220 and/or the USP are in the same catagory. I do not belive you can find a finer piece than either of those 2.

I know nothing about the HK handguns. But I can assure you that the Sig 220 is indeed an out of the box shooter and one of the finest double action firearms around in 45 acp. But expensive!

I have heard that the Glock 21 is a nice pistol for folks with big hands. The grip is too big for me nto handle well. It fits me like a 18 Volt Drill Master Drill from Harbor Freight, only $18 but its got a lot of thick plastic around the handle. :D

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand.as ... e=MR4500RS

I purchased one of these a while back, (I've got pics and some posts of it in the handgun section), and it's been a really good performer and it meets your criteria. It's all steel and weighs 40 ounces. It is very controllable for it's size because of that. Holds 10 in the magazine and one in the pipe. And it is very accurate. The cost is quite reasonable with most of them going for around $500.00 + - a few bucks. The gun is very well constructed as well. Bill T.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if you like the xd you have now, how about the 45 cal tactical version with the 5" barrel? high capacity in the caliber you want. i don't have one but have shot many. very reliable, i haven't seen one with an issue yet. good price too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HK's are reliable. I use the MK23 and the USP Compact .45 and have never had so much as a hickup!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought a Para P12, which is the compact 1911 style hi-cap pistol in .45 cal. Its basically the P14, just small. I have shot it with no problems with factory loaded ammo, or self loaded ammo close to factory specs with regards to the overall length in over 100 rds. I have had some problems with rounds half loading into the barrel, but that was shorter loads only. Haven't done a lot of experimenting with different powder loads yet. I have always heard good things about Para Ordnance, and I am a proud owner.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I have a CZ 97b and it shoots great. I have average hands and can shoot it but if you have large ones it will be perfect. It is very accurate and a great gun.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
another vote for P14-45. I have one for use in USPSA Limited division competition and home defense. I also use it for carry purposes. I trust it implicitly. If you want more muzzle weight you can install a tungsten carbide guide rod and spring cap. For even more weight you can get the Para USA Super Hawg. It has a 6" barrel and you can get 8+1 or 14+1 capacity.

Blessed Be

SharonAnne

1 - 15 of 15 Posts