National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do?

Can you process the scene fast enough to protect yourself? Do you break and run or attempt to assess your target and the line of fire behind your target to avoid injury to innocent bystanders?

What are your options?

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,669 Posts
If the threat is not directed at me or mine, I/we leave.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I am with Popeye on this. I am not a hero or cop and given a out, I am gone with me and mine. If the attack is on me or mine I will fight anywhere at any time. -I

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I usually just cut loose with my mini-UZI and empty a few magazines in the general direction of the threat, toss a few frags, then grab my wife by the ankles and drag her out of the area of immediate danger, while I lay down a screen of ultra white smoke mixed with CS, or if I can get them, a few Willie Peter grenades. Then we hop a cab for home. Works everytime. Of course the laws in your area may not allow the use of white phosphorus... so just stick with the smoke and CS.

·
Registered
568 Posts
In a crowded situation, be serrapticious...quiet. and get the frak out of there. Just dont be noticed...youll blend in. As in, dont go screaming, running, or HALT -draws pistol-. And if situation turns (the waste material hits the air reciprocators) and turns hostage, do the same. And then, if your about to die, go rambo. -I :--- If your boned anyway, might as well go out in blaze of fame taking some with you.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Cover cover and more cover should be your first response to unfriendly fire and remove yourself from threat if possible. If removing yourself first gives you the best cover then do that. Then if confronted do what any other living thing would do "fight back"!!! If ass's and elbows to get you out of there and you find yourself trapped and confronted (or about to be confronted without other options) then put two to the heart and scan/ reassess the situation. Be resouceful but don't start whatiffing when cornered.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
I think it depends on the threat. I mean, does the person threatening need a hug? Perhaps his/her parents mistreated them and they are just trying to vent their frustration. Or maybe they lost their job and just need some money. We should give them the money and see if they need a place to stay for the night, feed them, clothe them, and let my little heart bleed all over them since I'm :i:

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Hey TX1911,
I'm not a shrink but I'd still take the proper precautions even if I was. Being a nice guy should be reserved for afterwards when the threat has been neutralized and or contained.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Coach, I couldn't agree more. I don't think the sacrasm came through.

Truth is, I don't know what I would do in the situation. Depends on the level of the threat. Someone has a knife in a small room, threatening to take everyone down, you move towards the exit, or you get a couple other guys and try to take him down or distract him so everyone else can escape. Guy with a bomb, man, who knows. It's a situation decision, but one thing is for certain, if I've got my family with me, their safety is my priority so I will remove them from the situation ASAP.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Sarcasm dont really work online. Its a voice thing.

Now back on topic...

If its a bomb...YESSIR NOSIR LET ME HELPYOUSIR

If its a knife...Beat the living snot out of him.

Gun...sneaky sneaky.

Family friends anything. Save them first.

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
It's odd... My wife thinks I have a "loose screw" due to the fact I always "case" my surroundings. But, nonetheless... I am ALWAYS ready.

For me... well, seems no matter where I am, or go... the first thing I do is visualize everything. I know where all the exits are, and I sum up everyone. If there is ANYONE I become interested in... I'll move myself (different seating etc) as to be able to "handle business" if need be... BUT I always mind my own business... I do not sniff around in other peoples drama.

But... if I'm in a position where I cannot "just walk away"... that's another story.

Though I try to keep myself out of the type of situations that lead to the need to defend, that is not always possible. My game plan for such a situation (as it's yet to happen) - Double Double 9mm Hydra-Shok Hollow-Point to the chest. Bottom line... I know I will not over penetrate, and certainly am not missing at such a close distance.

"He" falls... cops come... take statement... go home (hopefully)... clean my gun... go to sleep!

End of Story!

:!: I MUST NOTE - THIS IS ONLY THEORY, AS I HAVE YET TO EVER NEED TO USE LETHAL FORCE :!:
And Hope I Never Need To!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Hey TX1911,
It's a little bit my fault for not reading it through before responding. I prematurely assumed that it was another typical response from a NJ liberal.
In any case you're correct, no one really knows what they will do until it actually happens.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
I do what I can. :---

·
Country Dad
235 Posts
Im not superman, If the threat is away from me and my family, I would try my best to get me family out of there un-noticed, But if the threat did put danger towards my family, I would in-deed with out doubt risk my life to save my familys.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
Yep get the family out. Then check to see if there is anything I can to help anyone else like call the cops and give them info etc. I do practice awareness as much as possible so hopefully I have a good chance at being prepared and having a plan. If my family is in direct danger I will fight untill my last breath. I have trained for that moment in many different ways. However, if I can get to safety, that will be my first priority. I want to be around to watch my son grow up.

Every situation is different and every person will react in their own way. You will need to think on your feet and take the action you deem is best at a moments notice. Hopefully all the training you have aquired will get you through.

G

·
First , Remove yourself and yours from any danger by the most expediant means possible. Second, I have to disagree about the " If its a knife...Beat the living snot out of him. " If the man has a knife and makes a threat that I can't get away from then shame on him. Thats why I carry. If he has a knife and is not coming at me or mine then I will watch him and make sure he doesn't come at me( While trying to egress). Basically if he brings a knife to a gun fight... well you know the rest. But I am sure as Hell not going to try to disarm him. Let the underpaid civil servant have that little bit of fun.

·
love the UK envy the US
785 Posts
if i can walk away with those i love if not nobody will ever get through me to hurt my family i promise you all .

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Questions like these are always hard to answer.

As my wife also carries, I would suggest that she removes herself and the kids if they can.

I am hardwired to stop any attack against any innocent person. So I would like to think that I would be able to identify and take care of the problem. But that is easy to say while sitting behind a computer and drinking a beer.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
What ever happens, it is going to be a disaster. Living in Illinois, we are not permitted the right to carry. The police will be there within minutes and can add up the tally! :sad:

In reality, I am always assessing a room when I go into a crowded setting. First thing I look for is the exits, including emergency, because of the potential for any problems whether it is human, fire or other. When I know where the exits are, metally, I plan for a quick exit to protect my family. Like C-D-P, I would want to assist and protect others. Unlike C-D-P, being unarmed only puts me at an extreme disadvantage. I hope I never face that question, situation or problem while living in the peaceful People's Democratic Republic of Illinois.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts