National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Aim true !
14,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Ruger P345 does like like .452 bullets. It won't chamber them. Unless you let the slide slam closed. But then it won't chamber the next round when shooting. And the slide gets stuck. .451 it runs good. My 1911's do well with the .452. Always something to learn.

· Registered
6,726 Posts
how do you like that p345?

my last ruger 45 was an old p90......it was one fine reliable gun and very accurate.

· Registered
22,065 Posts
While awaiting the arrival of the Colt MarkIV/Series80 Government Model .45 I ordered in 1983, I set about reloading ammo for it. I chose a Lee 190 grain semi-wadcutter mold and having cast and sized the bullets, I had to decide on an OAL for the cartridge. I had a government .45 ACP surplus round floating around in a cigar box, so I measured that with a caliper and decided to seat my lead cast bullets two (2) thousandths of an inch less than what the surplus round measured. The Speer reloading manual (1972) narrative stated that .45 1911's did not necessarily like semi-wadcutter bullet profiles. My Government Model had a throated-barrel and upon first shooting, it digested 200 rounds with no malfunctions in feeding or ejecting. Above all, the gun shot exactly to-point-of-aim.

Again, this was in 1983. Since then I've experienced all the various malfunctions that I and dirty ammo and cheap magazines could create. I truly believe that as an "out-of-the-box practice: of reloading for semi-auto's, seating bullets of shapes different than the standard round-nose designed for the pistols, is best accomplished for reliable functioning if the bullet is seated 1 to 2 thousandths below a factory cartridge OAL. This can make the difference between successful feeding and chambering versus feeding and "wedging" the cartridge. The use of a Lee Precision factory crimp die to full size the loaded cartridge will eliminate the .451/.452 inch diameter problem you encountered.

0.452 bullets were/are made for shooting in handguns with 0.451 diameter barrels. Can't recall ever buying any 0.451 bullets.

· Aim true !
14,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like it. It was the 1st 45 acp i owned. The accuracy is good too. I recently bought a P95. It shoots well too. I do want to get some 15 round mags for the the 95. Mine came with 10 round mags.

· Aim true !
14,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Lee FCD die helped me with 2 of my 9mm guns. My Walther and 92 had the same issue i was experaning. Now when i order new dies. I get the set with the FCD in it.

· Registered
6,726 Posts
I like it. It was the 1st 45 acp i owned. The accuracy is good too. I recently bought a P95. It shoots well too. I do want to get some 15 round mags for the the 95. Mine came with 10 round mags.
i like oem mags and mcgar mags......

a while back ordered the mcgar 15 rounders from midway
for my ruger p85..........good quality and works great. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1371141471

they have the oem now.... https://www.midwayusa.com/ltd/product?pid=100624920

cdnn has just put oem ruger mags on sale..... https://www.cdnnsports.com/p89-94-95-9mm-15rd-sts-no-ser.html?___SID=U#.XpNvZMhKiXc

i would not mind a p90 or a p93 later on just to keep company with my old battered p85. i had a p90 and a p89 many years back....still wished i had them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.