National Gun Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked one up a couple of days ago, and I have a question that I can't find the answer too on the net, so I pose it here. Are you supposed to carry it on an empty chamber, like SAAs? Or does it have a pin block, like on modern revolvers? I'm thinking, since it is DA, and I don't see the pin protruding, that it's ok to fully load it, but I'd like to be sure.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,421 Posts
It is an old design. It does not have a firing pin block.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, doesn't really answer the question though. Like I said, the pin doesn't protrude like it does on my 1860.

·
55,421 Posts
If you smack the back of its hammer the firing pin protrudes.

·
Banned
632 Posts
I love these old revolvers, but I think if your going to keep one loaded, have it on an empty chamber. The only time I load all of them is when I'm actually at the range, shooting. If it's full and you drop it, it will go bang.

Reactions: FREEDOMRING

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Keep the hammer down on an empty cylinder.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, so I just stripped the gun and took a good look at the mechanicals. The firing pin can literally not make contact with the primer unless the hammer is cocked first. So it is safe to carry fully loaded. I don't know the technical terms to explain it properly, but I can try, if anyone is interested.

For those that were curious.

·
Super Moderator
5,889 Posts
hhmm....I'm going to swim upstream venturing to say yes it is drop safe. While I do agree with the old single action way to carry, the Nagant revolver fires differently. Though some early Nagant revolvers did fire in a single action mod, still the hammer only protrudes when the cylinder is forward. Takes levels, pins, springs, etc. to get it into this position so the hammer, once cocked, could strike the cartridge. These are stout revolvers (single and double action) for the movement of parts it takes to make them fire, I would say its safe to carry with fully charged holes.

I myself would like a 1915 or 1917 Nagant revolver even a 1914 dated revolver, just for history. 100 years ago this year the Great War started.

Reactions: FREEDOMRING

·
Registered
14,760 Posts
Call me strange but I'm a bit perplexed here. One usually only carries a loaded gun for protection. Is this what you are planning with this gun? I only ask this because i got to shoot one this summer and it was anything but smooth and had a horrendous trigger pull. I was told it's the only revolver you can really silence because of the design with the cylinder moving forward into the forcing cone, anyone know if this is true?

Reactions: Popeye

·
55,421 Posts
I was told it's the only revolver you can really silence because of the design with the cylinder moving forward into the forcing cone, anyone know if this is true?
This is true but I can think of no valid reason for doing so.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Call me strange but I'm a bit perplexed here. One usually only carries a loaded gun for protection. Is this what you are planning with this gun? I only ask this because i got to shoot one this summer and it was anything but smooth and had a horrendous trigger pull. I was told it's the only revolver you can really silence because of the design with the cylinder moving forward into the forcing cone, anyone know if this is true?
No, it's not going to be a carry gun. Just a question I thought I'd try to find an answer too. I don't carry my 1860 either, but it's good to know to keep a cylinder free (I do store all my guns loaded). And yes, it is one of the few, if not the only revolver you can use a silencer on.

·
Registered
14,760 Posts
This is true but I can think of no valid reason for doing so.
Me neither, it was just one of those fun facts i heard and wondered if really true.

·
Banned
632 Posts
I own several of these pistols and they are fun to shoot, but horribly inaccurate beyond 10 yards or so. I imagine that were used a lot at close range; like for putting a round behind Ivans ear, or maybe into his belly. One of mine (1917) has what may or may not be blood pitting on it. And the ammo is one of a kind; if you've never seen one google it.

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can tell you a silencer was indeed manufactured for these.
I picked up one a few months back,, reasons were it's was quirky, price inexpensive , I saw the supply of them drying up ( now out of stock ) and the prices were climbing..
I figure what the hey !
+ 1 on the
horrendous trigger pull, in DA , but only a little better s an SA.... still fun to shoot .

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
hhmm....I'm going to swim upstream venturing to say yes it is drop safe. While I do agree with the old single action way to carry, the Nagant revolver fires differently. Though some early Nagant revolvers did fire in a single action mod, still the hammer only protrudes when the cylinder is forward. Takes levels, pins, springs, etc. to get it into this position so the hammer, once cocked, could strike the cartridge. These are stout revolvers (single and double action) for the movement of parts it takes to make them fire, I would say its safe to carry with fully charged holes.

I myself would like a 1915 or 1917 Nagant revolver even a 1914 dated revolver, just for history. 100 years ago this year the Great War started.
Keep an eye out on ClassicArms. They do have them periodically. Currently they are out of stock.
https://www.classicfirearms.com/nagant-m1895-revolver

·
Registered
53 Posts
I converted my 1895 to .32-20. The ammo has to be reloaded because the ctgs have to be 1/10" shorter than factory to function. Accuracy is quite good with Hornady XTP .32 Magnum bullets and 4 gr Unique.

·
Super Moderator
5,889 Posts
Keep an eye out on ClassicArms. They do have them periodically. Currently they are out of stock.
https://www.classicfirearms.com/nagant-m1895-revolver
Yes, Thank you for the heads up. I picked up a 1915 Nagant Revolver back in January this year from AIM surplus. Sold my 1928 Nagant soon after, the Tula star and date on it were scrubbed as if they were trying to remove it. Which they were trying to do, from my understanding.
My 1915 I picked up did come with tons of markings / symbols on it and one idiot scratch, by some idiot using the ejector rod and scraping the finish. No it wasn't me this is how it came. I was very much displeased. Though I knew if I sent it back, there would be a slight chance of getting the 1915 Nagant revolver exchanged for one in better condition. They were selling fast over on AIM in January.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts