National Gun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some may be confused by the title of this thread and I'll be honest I originally wanted to ask about why you guys pick revolvers over auto-loaders and what your personal exsperances have been that made you choose to carry a revolver over an auto-loader.

But tttthen I got to thinking and looking around this part of the sight and hadn't really seen a thread dedicated specifically to revolvers in general. So I created one. Feel free to discuss anything and everything revolver related here.

But in order to get this started what has been your exsperance that turned into revolver lovers? For me it's been my seven plus years of range time and the fact that every one of those times our auto-loaders malfunctioned. I've never had a revolver malfunction although I know they can, but it seems to be a rarity.

So what about you guys?

·
Aim true !
11,600 Posts
I own both and like both. One nice thing about revolvers is you don't have to chase the brass.

Reactions: gvaldeg1 and Wag

·
Registered
77 Posts
In regards to spirit and basic personal affinity, I place the revolver somewhere above the semi auto. As far as practice, it is very hard to deny the substantial benefits a semi auto has over the revolver. That said, there is some sort of nostalgic power that the revolver holds over me and I consider myself a "revolver guy". I carried a Colt Cobra and a Smith 686 all throughout the 80s before buying my first Glock in 1989. I guess I will call revolvers my favorite guns ( if there is such a thing). Although I have moved on to the semi-auto as a matter of practicality, I still incorporate a Smith revolver into my "house gun" provisions. Oh.. I also keep a j-frame and (2) speed strips in the trunk bag.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
The S&W 586 6" is my hands down favorite and I carried a S&W model 10 2" for almost 45 years.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Very nice.. much too beefy for my short twinkie fingers. I barely get by with a exposed backstrap grip on a smith 686.

·
AZHerper
4,291 Posts
I used to have a 6 1/2 inch Model 57 which is the same N-frame as LimaCharlie's Model 29 except it was a 41 Magnum. The 41 mag kind of went out of vogue but I liked it and, of course, I was hand-loading it. At the time I got it, I had another 41 mag which was a Thompson Center (TC) Super 14. I sent the barrel of the TC off to J. D. Jones of SSK Industries and he rechambered it to .411 JDJ which was one his so-called "hand cannon" calibers. The .411 JDJ used full length .444 Marlin brass necked to 41 caliber. It developed about 2,400 ft-lbs of muzzle energy and was a real hoot to shoot.

·
Premium Member
7,066 Posts
My tastes change from time to time. I really like my 1911. I just bought a Llama 380 but a new Black Hawk is on my shopping list. I really like my 6” 38/357 GP 100 also.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,088 Posts
I own 1 revolver... A Ruger GP100 Match Champion in 357mag. It's a really nice gun.
Honestly, they are not my thing but think every collection should have at least 1.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I own 2,
The first, a 6" 1940 Colt Police model .38sp. It was my first handgun.
The second is a 6" S&W model 28-2, .357 magnum.

Both marked "Highway Patrol." I like wheel guns, and will probably get more, but most of my handgun collection is autos.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
while autos have improved to the point that "mechanically" they are as reliable as a revolver......
the autos are much more dependent on the human interface for proper function......throw in one-hand shooting, weak hand only, or an improper grip, or a weird angle....the reliability suffers. As i practice a lot of one hand point shooting drills from the pocket,,,,,the revolver is my choice.

i also prefer the revolver for the large range of power factors from mild to wild in ammo and bullet profile that does not affect function.

More grip selections in the revolvers especially compared to the polymer wonder guns.

and a biggie for me.......brass retention......as i am a reloader.....it's getting hard for this old man to bend over or go to one knee especially on outdoor ranges full of stickers.

·
Registered
77 Posts
while autos have improved to the point that "mechanically" they are as reliable as a revolver......
the autos are much more dependent on the human interface for proper function......throw in one-hand shooting, weak hand only, or an improper grip, or a weird angle....the reliability suffers. As i practice a lot of one hand point shooting drills from the pocket,,,,,the revolver is my choice.
A very good and often overlooked point.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,118 Posts
Revolvers, no question. I have a fairly equal mix between revolvers and semi-autos. Same with lever action rifles and semi auto rifles. Each has their place. I don’t get real excited to shoot semi-autos. I do and I do often but it’s more keeping my skills in check. I don’t dislike shooting them, it’s just not the same. Put a revolver in my hand and that changes.

To me, it’s the difference between driving a 4 door Volvo and a ‘37 Ford chop top. They’ll both get you where you’re going, one more efficiently than the other but never met anyone excited to drive his Volvo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts