National Gun Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Genius in Training
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a few friends are looking for new CC pistols. I can't decide between 9mm or a 45. I would like a 45 for stopping power but they usually hold less and I am a little partial to them so that doesn't help the decision. Any tips would be great.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Pick what feels good in the hand and shoots naturally for you. The differences between calibers won't make any difference if you can't put the hole where it needs to go.

For myself, I'm partial to the 9mms. Springfield XD extended mag gives me 16 + 1 and I can rapid fire center of mass out to 30 feet. With spare mags, plenty of firepower, even if your target is high on drugs and feels no pain.

Reactions: Popeye

·
Genius in Training
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, my brother has an XD9 and the looks of everything is great but I only shot one mag through it so I don't know how well I like it but other 9mms have a very good feel.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
There are a few 9mm out there that I like .. I am partial to the Browning Hi-Powers they fit nice, for me anyway .. but I gotta say if someone gave me the money today and told me to get what i wanted I would find a .45 that felt good and go with that just because of the extra punch the .45 offers .

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
CC is all about concealment. Not about caliber or capacity. Neither matters since modern self-defense ammo has made every caliber effective and if you don't have the requisite skill and composure to deliver aimed fire at the moment of truth, capacity won't matter much. Get yourself a light, thin, reliable autoloader that will fit in your pants pocket - that you will never, not even once, for any reason whatsoever, have to consider leaving at home (except when going to an airport, gov't building, hospital. ER, etc.).

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
A .22 to the brain is better than a .45 to the knee. Buy what you personally shoot best.

This question has started more fights than "Ford vs Chevy".

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Ahhhhh. But they don't make dodge trucks anymore they're Rams.

9mm is my choice. I can't shoot 45 all day long. I'd go broke. Plus I'm fairly certain the Critical Duty +P ammo will get the job done just fine. I like the recoil on a 9 so much more. I can put many more shots on target faster with a 9 and I'll bet you that's the same for most shooters except the experts.

Sent from the Fortress of Solitude.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Time to really get the debate heated. Personally I prefer the .40 myself. Second choice is .357 Magnum.

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
Reactions: Stryker33

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
.40 is the only caliber that I guarantee you I'll never own.

Sent from the Fortress of Solitude.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Well, here we go.

I prefer 9mm and 45ACP to all others. 9mm, more shots in the mag,

but a tendency to over-penetrate. 45ACP, great stopping power, but

less shots in the mag. I'd say go for the 45ACP, myself. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.