National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a Lee Loader in 9mm. I am referring to the inexpensive loader that you use a hammer with. Since I am referring to 9mm for an autoloading pistol, would it not be necessary to full length resize the case? Does the Lee Loader do this? I know it only neck sizes rifle cases like the .270W. I use one of these. I went to the Lee website but could not get an answer to my question. I would appreciate any help.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Can I recommend that you get some reloading manuals and do a little reading on what you are getting into. You may want to save up a little more money and buy a press. :sosp:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I have reloaded .243,.44mag., .38special,.357mag. and .270 Winchester. I have reloading manuals and currently reload .270W using the Classic Lee Loader. The other calibers I loaded when I had a RCBS Rockchucker and associated dies. I'm not interested so much in speed as I am in economy. The Lee Loader is fine for what I use it for- the .270, I have never used the Lee loader for pistol cartridges and assume that it full length re-sizes them but I don't know for sure. Are there any other drawbacks to that system other than being slow? Thanks for your response

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I use a full lenght resizing die on all of my pistol and revolver cases. They get dings and dents from being ejected. OAL is very critical and the powder charge too on the 9mm and .40S&W. There's just something about using a hammer for reloading that I just don't like. Maybe it's OK and I hope it is but I'll stick with the press. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've done a bit of research and have decided to heed your advice. Thanks. The classic Lee loader will suffice for my .270, but for the 9mm, I'll go the press route.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Good deal Don and if there's any way I can help you with anything just PM me and I'll do my best. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I may be a little late to the party, and it seems like Mr. don is on the right path. But just FYI, only bottle-necked cases can be neck-sized only. That is the point of neck sizing. All straight-walled cases are full-length sized.

Also, a neck-size only die should only be used if the brass is being fired in the same firearm again.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
No one makes a neck size only die for 9mm pistol. Gunrnr told you true.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses. To think that a straight walled case would be neck sized only showed ignorance on my part.( DUH!) Thanks for the education.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Nuthin' to it, Mr. Don. That's why we do this forum thaing -- to share knowledge and help newbs. We all were at some point. I was lucky in that an experienced loader mentored me for a while. The rest I learned either by doing and succeeding or doing and screwing up. Most of my learning occurred way before internet days, so it was low & slow for quite a while.

We're lucky to have Mr. Dogsoldier and Mr. Baldy and several others, who can usually answer questions within a day or two.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have one of the lee loaders for 7.62x54R, I couldn't imagine loading 9mm or any autoloading round in one. They are a good way to start if you want to reload for a bolt action. But hell you can get a lee press for next to nothing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Actually, if I had the press, I would get the dies and stop using the Lee Reloader.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts