National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

I got a Remington 870 Express 20 Gauge for Christmas, I took it out of the box and put on the barrel and everything seemed to work fine, I wanted to learn how to disassemble the gun for cleaning so I removed the bolt and forend and put it back together, no issues and since then when the hammer is cocked the slide doesn't lock properly, when you twist the slide to the left the lock fails and the action opens about 1/4 of the way than gets stuck, once it got stuck so bad I had to but the gun between my feet and grab the forend with both hands just to get it to close. This is a brand new gun and I haven't even fired a single round out of it, if I can't fix it myself I'll have to bring it back to the store, which is an hour and a half away.

Sorry for rambling,
Thanks!

Jacob.

Here's a video of my issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJqwR8gJZew

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,074 Posts
You don't have it assembled properly. Take it back apart and reassemble it.
look t this vid:

specifically the 15:30 mark.

also. if you get to the point where you need help I would deal with remington and not the store where it was purchased.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,074 Posts
^^^ thats the vid you want to watch.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,074 Posts
He mentioned in that vid that it takes him several times before it works.

My only other suggestion would be to try assembling it with the trigger group removed. Install trigger group after.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He mentioned in that vid that it takes him several times before it works.

My only other suggestion would be to try assembling it with the trigger group removed. Install trigger group after.
I just disassembled and reassembled the gun (rather the bolt, forend, and carrier) about 15 times and it still has this issue. I think I'm going to just bring it to the store, the reason I want to go to the store rather than Remington is that the store said if there are any issues or defects they will do a very simple and easy exchange.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Yes they can be a bear to get back together. I have a remmy 58 which is basically a semi auto version of that gun as they are very similar. Try doing what he's doing in the video while holding the magazine spring and gas piston in place and placing a little nub on the action bar into the piston through a hold in the magazine tube. It's just one of those things that you need 3 hands to do easily. Also i always put the trigger group back in after the bolt and action bar are in place. I think he said the same thing in the video but then put it in first?

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
i would degrease the heck out of it first.

would also check to make sure the barrel is flush with the receiver as i have seen a few that were not fully inserted.

3rd, i would loosen the mag cap a turn or two and work the action smartly. Sometimes the tolerances might be a hair off.

past that its gunsmith time for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i would degrease the heck out of it first.

would also check to make sure the barrel is flush with the receiver as i have seen a few that were not fully inserted.

3rd, i would loosen the mag cap a turn or two and work the action smartly. Sometimes the tolerances might be a hair off.

past that its gunsmith time for me.
something that stood out to me that you said is to make sure the barrel is flush with the receiver, I wasn't sure if it's normal but mine isn't, there's about a fingernail width gap between the barrel rib and the receiver, but I can't for the life of me get it to go in any further.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
there's about a fingernail width gap between the barrel rib and the receiver
More than likely, that's the root of the problem. Take your time and work at it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More than likely, that's the root of the problem. Take your time and work at it
Would you happen to own an 870? if it's not too much to ask, could you check if your's is flush? I can't find any pictures that show that part of the barrel and the barrel looks to be seated correctly in the receiver.

·
54,933 Posts
If the barrel, not the rib, is seated flush against the receiver its correct.

You're flustered and in a hurry. Slow down. Forget about it for a while. Walk the dogs. Make love to your wife. Then start again. Fresh eyes can see a lot.

·
54,933 Posts
I'm a retired master machinist and gunsmith. I own, and have owned several Remington 870 shotguns. The gun worked correctly until disassembly and reassembly (there's a clue). Relax. Walk away from it for a while. Then carefully watch the videos and have at it again. It will all come together for you. Time is on your side.

·
Super Moderator
11,870 Posts
Watching the video, I noticed that the Remington guys said the 20 ga is a little more tricky than the 12 ga.

I have a 12 ga Marine Magnum which has all of the same exact parts that the 20 ga in the video shows. It's a bear to reassemble but what I've learned over the years is that you CANNOT force anything to go together. If it doesn't slip together quite easily, then you're doing something wrong. That isn't to say that you don't have to exert some pressure on the shell latches to get them into position but be assured, if you're putting things together correctly, you'll never have to truly force it to go together.

I don't ever even have to force the trigger assembly pins into the place like he did in the video. They go in easy with a press of the thumb if you have everything lined up correctly.

Like Popeye said, take a break and take your time. You'll get it.

EDIT: You may have to swear a lot. That always helps. :wink:

--Wag--

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,074 Posts
the reason I want to go to the store rather than Remington is that the store said if there are any issues or defects they will do a very simple and easy exchange.
It doesn’t really work that way. Once a firearm is transferred to you the retailer won’t exchange it. They may try to correct your issue but if they can’t then they will send it off to the manufacturer. The manufacturer will then make the determination to repair or replace. I have never seen a retailer “exchange” a firearm. Once they transfer it...it’s yours. Any issue is between you and manufacturerer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It doesn’t really work that way. Once a firearm is transferred to you the retailer won’t exchange it. They may try to correct your issue but if they can’t then they will send it off to the manufacturer. The manufacturer will then make the determination to repair or replace. I have never seen a retailer “exchange” a firearm. Once they transfer it...it’s yours. Any issue is between you and manufacturerer.
Well the man who works at the store, when we asked him he said if there are any issues with the gun we could bring it back and if it's unrepairable he could give me a new 870 and send the old one back as defective.

·
Super Moderator
14,628 Posts
I have two 870s. I've never had any inclination to take them apart. I don't take any of my guns apart unless it is necessary. I haven't found taking the 870s apart to be necessary.

My sons have taken their's apart and have gotten them back together with no issues.

do like Mr. Popeye suggests and take your time.

Alan

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,074 Posts
I have 2 870’s and have had both apart extensively. They were express models that I converted to police models among other mods. I have not had an issue with either. The 870 is fairly sImplistic.

It sucks but it is probably something very simple wrong with the OP’s gun.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
can't remember exactly, but i had surgery back in the early 90's and i was put inside on light duty and the LT got the brite idea to have me take apart and clean the dept 870's and an odd-ball 500 that was in the mix. These were left in a gun locker for officers to check out and return as there was just not enough shotguns to go around....and a number of officers did not want one anyways. As i recall, the majority of these 870;s just had a bead......a few had sights....and a few were retasked cut-down wingmasters. Some were 2 3/4" only while some would take a 3"......the standard issue loads were No. 4 buck and slugs.

Near as i could tell, it was probably the first time those riot guns had been field stripped. Looked like crap on the outside and new on the inside. No telling how old some of those guns were......and am guessing that many of them are probably still on duty at that dept.

Texas DPS is switching over from the 870 to the mossberg 590a1 and letting the troopers buy back their old 870's cheap.....but only the 870's that are more than 30 years old are being phased out. One local License and Weights Trooper was upset as he had to wait another year before he could buy his 870.....it was 29 years old.

He is collecting all his "issued" guns. He has his model 28, p220, and most recently his p226DAK.......he wants that 870 bad.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts