National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Joonyor Mehmbrrr
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there other 8-shot .357/.38 revolvers out there besides SW and Taurus? Something with a 5+ inch barrel. I'm not saying I'm only interested in 8, but please try to keep this thread about 8-shot revolvers.

Yes, I tried to STFA. Apparently the search function doesn't take the terms "8 shot" and "8 round", as it removed the "8" from my search.

EDIT: I'm still interested in all 8-shots, Smith & Taurus included. Just want all my options on the table before deciding.

Thanks,

Scooter

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Those are the only 2 I know of. I would also like to know what you have against the S&W? I am in love with the S&W M&P R8, it's on my short list.

·
Unfathomable Comedian
715 Posts
I find nothing, just Taurus and Smith. I would definitely go with Smith.

Reactions: Kobs

·
Joonyor Mehmbrrr
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. It's a shame other makers don't make an 8 shot 357.

Thanks. It's a shame other makers don't make an 8 shot 357.

·
Joonyor Mehmbrrr
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks to both.

I find nothing, just Taurus and Smith. I would definitely go with Smith.
BTW - I read some stuff about a 'lock' on the newer wheeled 8's. Is that true?

I know Israel Arms make a Auto in 357 not sure how many the clip holds
That would be an interesting combo. An 8-shot revolver and an 9 shot 357 auto.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey there Scooter.

As i was telling you, I have the 8-shot .357/.38 SW M&P.

5inch

Great gun, can't say enough about it. Never a hiccup, very accurate, feels good in the hand, well balanced, smooth trigger, has a rail IF you want to add a light/laser (mine is plain like the pic). .38 for range practice and hot .357 and you got yourself a damn good defense gun. Can't think of a single knock.

Gets my vote, forsure.:thumbsup:

·
Joonyor Mehmbrrr
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! That's very similar to what I'm currently looking at but it's pricey for a revolver.When I know for certain what I'll get then I'll go deal shopping.
'

·
Registered
237 Posts
The 627 V-COMP is cool looking twist…….. for 1700.00

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
The 627 V-COMP is cool looking twist…….. for 1700.00
You can take 25% off the S&W MSRP to get the REAL WORLD cost for Performance Center guns.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you don't have a carry weapon and this will be your primary weapon go with a 4 inch barrel. I love the new 8-shot M&P and Taurus' 8 shot as well but these are some big ass 357's and to carry them would be a pain. They are hard to get holsters for too right now. If you want to carry it as well a 4 inch six shooter will work fine and shoot just as good. We're talking about the Mighty 357 here 125 gr bullet at 1450 fps with 575-83 ft-lbs of energy out of a 4 inch barrel ! Double Tap tops them all out with 1600 fps and 711 ft. lbs of energy. {That's 41 Magnum Territory !} YEE HAA ! POWER !
That extra two inches lost won't hurt a bit and if you carry a six shot, speed loaders are readily available, but hard to get for the 7 and 8 shooters. If you have a gun to carry then go for it !

·
Joonyor Mehmbrrr
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info. This would be a range and home protection gun. One caveat is my wife has to be able to shoot it. I'm confident she can hold up an 8 shot but the recoil is what I'm worried about. If a 4" barrel can still be kept down I would go for it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
In that case a 38 Special or 357 Magnum loaded with 38 Special +P's will do fine. There are two other alternatives;
a 44 Special {Kicks like a 9mm} but your pushing a 200-246 grain bullet. When I was a novice I was shooting this load one handed. The other a 45 LC which pushes a 250-300 gr. bullet slightly hotter than the 44 Special. The guns that are built for these two calibers are heavier and do aid in taming recoil. They are also available from 4 to 6 inch barrels. S&W, Ruger, and Taurus make the sizes you prefer. The 44 Special has regained popularity for a defensive round these days. Defensive ammo for it is made by Corbon, Hornady, Winchester, and Federal with Corbon, Hornady, and Winchester leading the pack !
Hornady's Custom Line has a 200 gr bullet at 1000 fps, and 400 ft-lbs of muzzle energy. Which basically means from the muzzle out to about 15 yards it hits with 400 lbs of force ! It's about on par with a 45 ACP which is a semi-auto. The 38 Special +P runs from 875-950 fps and hits with 278-87 ft-lbs of energy with a bullet weight of 125-158 gr. See the Difference ?
If the 44 Special has about the same kick as the 38 +P but has a heavier, bigger, projectile that hits with 125 more ft-lbs, why not go with the obvious ? A 357 Magnum on the other hand uses the same bullet weights as the 38 Special/+P but drives them way faster. 125 gr at 1450 fps with 575 ft-lbs of energy. 158 gr. at 1250-1350 fps at 490-535 ft-lbs. but the kick on a 357 to novices will you have you trembling afterward ! It has a big kick and a lot of blast ! Practice with 38 +P's before you move on to these. Years ago when Philly Cops carried 357 Magnums they were only allowed by dept standard to use 38 Special +P, but they weren't knocking the bad guys down at times so some cops used 357's without permission and got away with it because the 357 and 38 SPL both use the same bullet weights and types. Go with what works, drug crazed maniacs don't even flinch from 38 Special rounds. Hit them with a 357, 44, or 45 and they drop like a bad habit.

·
Joonyor Mehmbrrr
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Energy transfer.

Wow. Very informative post on ammo. I understood most of it and have one question. Which one of those rounds will transfer it's energy into the target and not through it in the most optimum manner, given that they would all have the exact same bullet shape and features?

·
Aim true !
11,381 Posts
This thread was from 2010.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts