National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local range that I go to allows you to shoot 25-75 yards. I usually put a clip in the paper at 75 yds just for fun but the other day i got to thinking, why 75 yds? "Defense" shootings would typically occur at less than 15 ft if i had to guess. A shot fired at 75 yds would probably get your a murder charge, if you are that far away from a threat just run for cover, am I right? I like to test my accuracy from long range but why would you ever shoot a handgun from that far?

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
75 yards what type of gun would you be using to hit the target that faraway :30:

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
There are many folks who hunt with the 44 mag and other large calibers, even the 357 mag. So to take a shot at 50 to 75 yards is a real possibility. Most would probably take game at less than 60 yards in deep woods but they will practice at the longer range to dial in their revolvers sights.

Competition with handguns is rarely over 25-50 yards.

G

·
I don't know when you'd ever need a 75 yd pistol shot in a defensive situation. But I can hit stuff the size of a piece of paper with my Springfield Armory Mil-Spec at 75 yds. It has surprised me with its accuracy for buying it as a used gun that had been shot quite a bit. Its still kicking. But I have since upgraded the trigger with a 3.5 lb kit from Cylinder and Slide. The stock one was pretty heavy. So now its got a really nice trigger pull. But thats the extent of modifications, other than a full length guide rod.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
If your target was running at 75yds you would have a very diffcult time hitting it. Hunters shoot that distance at deers but they are standing still. It's fun to burn some ammo at long distance.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,707 Posts
With my "slightly tweeked" Ruger Super Blackhawk I can put six shots into an eight inch circle at 85 yards, every time. That does not mean I will take a shot at game at that range. It means I can.

My far better half can hit an eight inch circle most every time at 100 yards using her modified Colt 1911A1.

A friend of mine in Missouri, who is a much better handgun shot than I am, killed a whitetail deer with one shot using a S&W .460 Mag. The measured range was 262 yards!

Therefore, Practice, Practice, Practice!

·
Don't Tread on Me
485 Posts
It would be difficult to think of a practical purpose for being able to make a pistol shot at 75 yards, but that doesn't make it any less fun to try. If you're at the range practicing for self defense purposes, I would keep it at 20yds absolute max. But for fun, personal satisfaction, or just bragging rights, go for the 75yds.

·
Big Honkin' Daddy
1,247 Posts
75 yards what type of gun would you be using to hit the target that faraway :30:
I regularly shoot my Ruger Redhawk .44 mag at 100 yds from a bench rest. I can more often than not hit a 1 gallon milk jug at that distance.

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
With my "slightly tweeked" Ruger Super Blackhawk I can put six shots into an eight inch circle at 85 yards, every time. That does not mean I will take a shot at game at that range. It means I can.

My far better half can hit an eight inch circle most every time at 100 yards using her modified Colt 1911A1.
That distance seems absolutely impossible to me! I have a hard enough time hitting paper at 40 feet with my 1911, and I can't imagine I'd hit paper at all at 300 feet. That is some DAMN good shooting.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
The M1911A1 has a max effective range of 62m (65 yd) it is not surprising that a skilled shooter can hit 75 yd with a similar firearm.

I have seen some outstanding shots in my day, at one point when I was younger there was a guy at the rifle range that would regularly fire out to 150 yd with a .44mag and had pretty decent groups.

People that fire at those ranges are not doing so to train for defensive situations, they are doing it to stress their skills.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
That distance seems absolutely impossible to me! I have a hard enough time hitting paper at 40 feet with my 1911, and I can't imagine I'd hit paper at all at 300 feet. That is some DAMN good shooting.
I know what your saying Cake as I don't do any of that anymore. If you got a place where you can see the shots land you will surprise yourself at how fast you can zero in on a target. I like to watch Bob Munden do his trick shots. I seen him bust eggs with a snubnose revolver at a 100yds once. He said it took him a truck load of ammo to perfect that shot.

G

·
I shoot my Thompson Center Encore 44mag at 130yds and keep it in a 3in circle off a bench mind you, it weighs in at 4.7 pounds I couldnt hold the thing up long enough to shoot anything off hand unless it was under 30feet.:lol:

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I have four handguns that can shoot accurately at close to 100 yds. My S&W Mod. 610 (10mm), a Mod. 57 and 657 (.41 Mag.), and a Mod. 25 (.45 Colt). They are all 6 and 6½ barrels. Of those, I've made a couple of shots with the 610 at over 50 yds. and one at close to 100 yds. at coyotes. The 57 has been used on javelina hunts and one just like it went deer hunting many times, yrs ago.

FWIW, I had the honor of talking to great Bob Munden two weeks ago, and question him about a shot I saw him make on "American Shooter", using a S&W Mod. 60 2" bbl (.38 Spl) -- Would you believe 200 yards?! With a TWO-INCH BARREL!?

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
Pix or didn't happen!

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Pix or didn't happen!
I'll see whether there are any "American Shooter" episodes archived. Not right now. I'm doing important things (making dinner)... If I can't, I'll see whether I can reproduce it at Navajo. From Pine Marina to Sim's Mesa Marina is 1.3 miles. Mind if I use a 4" barrel?

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
The extra barrel length vs the extra distance is fine.

Reactions: Gunrnr

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,707 Posts
Mr. Bob Munden can do some astounding things with a revolver. He ain't a half bad gunsmith either.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
His humility and competitive spirit were very impressive. I mentioned it in the thread about SASS Trail's End 2008. We stuck around after the show and spoke with him for probably 15 minutes. Quite a gentleman. He talked to my wife and me like we were old friends. His lovely wife Becky is just as down-to-earth. The whole day had me feeling like a 10-yr-old at the circus, but getting to meet and talk with Bob Munden was the icing on the cake!

http://nationalgunforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5345&highlight=SASS

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
FWIW, I had the honor of talking to great Bob Munden two weeks ago, and question him about a shot I saw him make on "American Shooter", using a S&W Mod. 60 2" bbl (.38 Spl) -- Would you believe 200 yards?! With a TWO-INCH BARREL!?

I saw that episode. It was amazing!

FWIW, when I was in the army, I was required to be able to make 50 yard head shots with a 1911. I have wowed many a guy at the range by actually making a head shot with a 1911 or Browning HP at 100 yards. The key to this is knowing how your pistol behaves and how much over the top of the target you need to put the muzzle to compensate for the drop. In other words, practice, practice and practice.

I do not know if a hit at 100 yards using a 230 grain ball in the 1911 or 124 grain 9mm bullet would do more than give the tango a mean thump on the head or not. But it is sure an attention getter.

Always remember: A handgun is something to be used to fight your way to where you left your rifle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts