National Gun Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a springer champion needing a couple of extra mags. I think Im going to go wih MCCormicks first. Should i stick with the factory close 7 round mags or should I move to 8 round mags. My brain tells me 7 rounds would be better more reliable etc... just looking for your thoughts?

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have been using Wilson's 8 and 10 rounders for several years. No problems. Got a few CM mags that came with my pistols, no problems with those either, but the Wilson mags are eisier to work with. You gotta handle them to know what Im talking about. I bought some off brand mags when I was new to it and they sucked, stay away froms anything less than a good brand. Just buy 1 Wilson mag and you'll see what I mean. :)

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'm thinking 8 rounders have only been around since the late '70s. I read in some old books that make me think that. My guess is that some of the "old timers" gun writers were hesitant to change. I think the extra round got squeezed in there due to a follower design change. Now, maybe if you leave your mags loaded all the time, a seven rounder will not stress the spring like an 8 will. I keep 2 8's and 1 10 rounder loaded all the time and only cycle them out every 6 months or so. Havent put new springs in any of them that Ive owned for several years now. When they get dirty, I talk 'em to work and blow them out with compressed air, and lubricate with a little powdered graphite...no oils.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
I am not a expert on 1911's by any means, but I believe that they were designed with the 7 round mag. A lot of people claim that 8 round mags will not function properly in a 1911 & will only lead to trouble, & 10 round mags are simply out of the question! I use 8 rounders 95% of the time, with the other 5% being 7 round mags. I don't even own a 10 round mag, but if I did, I would probably ues it. I shoot a 1911 in USPSA Single Stack Major, & I can't use anything over & round mags in that class. There is a 10 round class, that I believe is called Single Stack Minor, but I'm not for sure about that. :--- :--- :--- :-B-:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I favor Wilson Combat 7 rd. mags but you won't ever go wrong with ANYTHING that Mec-Gar makes, regardless of capacity. See, for example, the MGCG4511B or MGCG4511N mags which are their 11 rd. extended versions. They make the original mags for many top handgun manufacturers including Beretta.

http://www.mec-gar.com/product.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i use the chip mcormick power mags. the wilsons spring tend to take a set if you leave them loaded for awhile. and then the followers wear out.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I've got a range bag full of Wilson's that would disagree with you Lee. Got at least 8 years on them. Have had at least 2 loaded at all times. Just cycled them out every now and then.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
disagree all you want. the experiance ive had with 1911 mags and some very strenuoius testing my friend who is a 1911 diehard has done.

shows that the two best magazines to get are chip mcormick power mags. followed by wilson combats. and the reasons are and i quote from my Good friend Alaskapopo.
Wilson mags start good but go bad fairly quickly with use. I have 3 10 round mags that need to be sent back because the feed lips spread enough so they won't drop free anymore. The springs in the 8 round mags won't lock the slide open if you leave them loaded for 6 months. I use still have a lot of Wilson mags but I am searching for a better 8 round mag.
The problem chips have is with gouging the feed ramps on alluminum framed guns. Their springs are stronger than Wilsons. Don't get me wrong I like Wilson mags I just wished they lasted longer.

Read this article it is very good on 1911 mags.

http://www.10-8performance.com/id17.html

·
Registered
957 Posts
Well, Lee, I had to go back and look. A few days ago you were looking for Wilson's. I do have some ChipMc mags too. They work also, not sure if there "powermags" or not. But the followers fell kinda "funny", yes they do work, to me the wilsons feel smoother when loading and I figure that would translate to unloading too. Im not talking about the spring tension, its something with the follower and the way it pushes the cartridge up to the lips.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im not saying i don't like Wilson. im just pointing out there springs dont last as long as chips do if you leave them loaded for awhile. if you cycle out your mags consistently and maybe replace there folower when and if it wears out then youve got nothing to worry about. i have a few wilsons and i have a few chips. ive got some mecgar ones too.

i use my wilsons for competition because there base pads are thicker and dont mind the concret floor at my range as much.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'll look into getting one of those powermag in a 10 rounder; but, this thread started as a 7 vs 8. We havent answered that yet. now I'm real curious.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Odd commentary on the Wilson mags, since they are recommended by virtually every expert in the field. My own experience with them versus the McCormicks in competition, a couple of upper-level shooting courses, and defensive carry (before I changed to the Glock) was that the Wilsons were perfectly durable even when left loaded for extended periods and also more reliable than the McCormicks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
they are both high quality magazines. it comes down to what works for you. the real point here is your average price for a wilson is 30 bucks. the chips are 17.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts