National Gun Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any rifles (new[er]) in 7.62x54r?

It can be bolt or semi. I've seen a few ak-"54r" chambers but they seem to be all sold out. I don't want an old military rifle.

Is there any kits or relatively new guns that someone has seen around? 2000-present.

I want one so badly, mainly for fun target shooting, preferably long range, but again, anything is fine.:mad2:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
There are some Russian VEPRs that can be had for $1000 or so. And then there are Polish imitations of the Russian weapons. They have 5 round and 10 round magazines. The SVDs also fire 54R rounds.

Sig Sauer also makes a weapon based on the AR platform that shoots this round. They're around $1500.

·
Guy with a Gun
646 Posts
Any particular reason for 7.62x54 rather than .30-06 or perhaps .308?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Any particular reason for 7.62x54 rather than .30-06 or perhaps .308?
not sure of his reasons but i have actually been looking into getting a VEPR chambered for 7.62x54r mostly because of the availability and cheapness of the rounds
you can get cases of 1080 rounds for under $200 on some sites,only thing to watch for is if your getting the older corrosive surplus ammo is to clean your gun thoroughly after shooting it,
but you can find non corrosive for around the same price.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would like to have a gun in 7.62x54 because of the cheap ammo and how various it is. Wolf makes 200 gr sp, a lot of companies make 174 gr fmj and there is a ton of surplus from long range to armor piercing incendiary (which is just awesome). In addition I think the ballistics are solid for distance and accuracy, physically it isn't much different than the 30 calibers.

Thanks for pointing me to sig.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts