1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Genius in Training
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wall Soil Paw Pest Flooring
Metal
Insect Pest Parasite Close-up Invertebrate
Text Material property Font Book

You can see the bullets that I shot out of my Mosin 91/30 at a deer last weekend. Last year I used soft points out of my Mosin as well, I believe even the same brand, but these did not perform well at all. Last year, the deer looked like it had been shot by a super sonic golf ball, having a large entrance and exit wounds and the lungs turned into pudding. This year, I shot the deer once but it began to walk away from me so I shot it again. It then slowed down and eventually laid down but it wasn't dying very quickly. I ended up getting close with my pistol to finish it off. The guy is was with pulled the guts out before I got a chance to look at the heart and lungs so I don't know what happened inside, but I can tell a few things from the bullets.

One of them had very little expansion, which you would think would lead to over penetration, instead it didn't even make it through so maybe the bullets had a light load. On the other bullet, the core and jacket separated and I assume the core made it out since I didn't find it, but the jacket was still inside of the deer as was the other bullet. What seems to have been low muzzle velocities and poor bullet manufacturing lead to what I believe to have been very poor hunting performance.

Open to suggestions but I figured I would post so you could be warned if you picked this ammo as well.

· Registered
6,726 Posts
i would say try Winchester as i believe they still make a sp load.......

i generally am suspect of any foreign made discount ammo.....especially discount hunting ammo.

i generally accept that winchester power points, remington core-lokt, and hornady interlock have a purty good handle as a base line.

i have no idea what the Serbs use, how good their bullet technology is, quality control.....or if they really care as its price point ammo.

i also wonder if they use lesser quality components for bulk wally-world purchases when they make those ammo deals.....i have suspected various shot shell manufacturers of that with promo ammo for some of the marts.

Reactions: Popeye

· Genius in Training
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For target shooting it seems to have pretty good accuracy (100yds at steel with irons so take 'accurate' for what you will) and as I said before I think they are the same brand as last year. I agree that some higher price point stuff is in order for next year but this was the only soft point ammo I could find without going online (which in hindsight I probly should have done).

· Registered
17,515 Posts
I wouldn't consider anything PPU makes suitable for hunting but yeah it's fine for plinking. I honestly couldn't tell you if anyone makes a decent hunting round for 7.62x54r and would say your best bet would be to reload with the bullet of your choice(if you reload anyway) as there are lots of options out there providing you don't have one of the really large bore mosins. in .311/.312 you shouldn't have a problem finding a decent performing bullet.

· Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts

· Super Moderator
6,145 Posts
Its cheap "in store" Russian ammunition. You will not get a xonsistent performance out of PPU. Speer, Winchester, Federal, Remington, B/Bore, Underwood, etc would be your best bet.

· Registered
2,264 Posts
I've noticed similar results from other brands of import ammo for the 7.62X54R. Years ago I used a lot of "Hanson" brand ammo which was imported from Serbia at the time. I bought their 180gr soft point loads and noted a lot of jacket separations when digging the bullets out of game.

· Registered
2,264 Posts
When I first started playing around with Mosin's, there were only a couple of choices in commercial hunting ammo for them. There was the Norma ammo which was good quality but very expensive. Then there was the Hanson ammo the supply of which dried up during the Yugoslav civil war as they were most likely shooting at each other with it. Eventually a put together a decent supply of brass and began loading my own 7.62X54R with decent bullets.

· Registered
1,831 Posts
Well ah have YOU used it does it WORK for YOU I honestly use PPU .303 British, 7.62 x 54r and 8 x 56r I mean it aint no $5 Bullet but I mean it hits where aimed and has dropped a few animals, as for Nay sayers and those spouting PPU aint good for nothing but plinking or targets I have offered to let em show me how wrong I am by stepping in front of my Steyr M95, Mosin 91/30 or my .303 brit loaded with the "CRAPPY" ammo Ya know aint not one of them wanna prove me wrong HAHAHAHAHAHAH Go figure just nutz huh AHAHAHAHAHHAHA......But however to each their own hahahahahahahahahahahah......

· Aim true !
14,162 Posts
Ran into some fellows shooting this eve. One of the guys is using his mosin for deer this weekend. He's using the ppu. He was nice and left me shoot a few rounds. Anther was using a 30/30 pump. I left him use my portable table and rest to zero it in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.