National Gun Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pun intended in the title.

Last week was my first 40 rounds of reloads since ... maybe 6-8 years ago. .45 Colt, Hornady once fired, CCI 300, 255 SWC over Universal. Started a tenth over all starting load data - 6.6gr - for 20 plus 20 at 6.8. Lee single stage, Lee Perfect powder drop. Some how, some way the LAST round loaded told me something wasn't right. I futzed around, measured the drop (came out almost nothing!) and rotated the powder hopper to the right (to close the drop tube off). It wouldn't turn. Hmmm. Did it close before or after that round? Aaargh. Bought the inertia bullet puller I knew I'd need anyway.

Pounded out a couple of bullets from before the suspected offender, all good. Pulled the bullet from the 6th sense case ... it had 6 granules of Universal. Granules, not grains. {sigh} Just avoided tapping out the squib :oops:

Lessons learned: Listen to that sense; WTH, how did I make that hopper valve close?; The purchase price of the puller and the time taken is REALY cheap compared to a stuck bullet or worse; Once resolved, both loads out performed the factory loads in accuracy, and I am comfortably working up the ladder towards slightly sub-max loads.

-jb, the prescient?

·
Aim true !
10,302 Posts
I glued my perfect powder dispenser on the open position. On my turret press. I now use a lyman powder throw though. I had a caboom a few months ago. I didn't trust the lee after that. The lyman is not press mounted. So it slows me a little bit. Glad you caught the error. You avoided a squib.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Absolutely a good catch.
I use a lee single stage press and powder measure. I weigh at least 1 or 2 out of every 10 or so. After all the cases have powder I visually check them with a light before I seat bullets. Any that look odd get checked. It has saved me from an over or under charge more than once.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Entering the Wayback machine

Back in the day I used the RCBS Uniflow. Almost 100% guaranteed throw. I understand YGWYPF. The Perfect measure is almost all plastic and VERY sensitive to throw. Too soft, light, too hard too heavy. Carryover. The Uniflow was a bit finicky with Unique, cutting flakes, but it's stout and can take a strong throw.
Anyway, weigh every few throws from almost any measure. Oh, it slows down? Ya pays ya money, ya takes ya chances. [shrug]

-jb. w/all 10

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coalcracker:
I glued my perfect powder dispenser on the open position.
Curious. When you finished, with a half full hopper, did/do you dismantle the measure to dump leftover powder back into the bottle, or am I missing something, please?

-jb

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I ran a run of 1,000 .40 S&W, changed the shell plate to go to .380 and when I raised the first case to set the powder charge, it felt funny. Took me a min to figure it out, pulled the handle a second time and saw the thumb screw that holds the actuating arms together had backed out so no powder charge was cycling. Of course this freaked me out not knowing when it happened (although it never felt funny while doing the .40’s). So I grabbed the last 2 boxes I loaded (200 rds) because they were all dumped in the same hopper, took them outside and shot them all off looking for a squib. Never found one. All I can do is hope I grabbed the last 2 boxes...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts