National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,new to the forum.Checked some posts and it looked like some freindly folks.I have a question about the 6.8 spc and wanted some input on it.I'm considering buying mini 14 chambered in it to use as a short range,heavy cover,deer cartridge.I currently use a 1895 in 45/70 but I'm becoming a little recoil sensitive and just wanted something different.Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum. There are some great folks out there who will help out just about any way they can.

The 6.8 SPC is a very good cartridge, intended as a replacement for the 5.56mm NATO. It has more weight and better sectional density without being much larger, physically, than the 5.56, allowing a soldier to carry about the same amount of ammo into battle.

I do not see it as a cartridge that I would compare to a .45-70 -- there is just such a weight difference between the two that I just don't think they're in the same league. The 6.8 PPC is about the same diameter as a .270 in a smaller case and runs about 115 gr -- compared to ~300 to 500 gr for a .45-70. Not too many cartridges clear brush like a .45-70 !!

The 6.8 is going to survive breezy weather better than a 5.56 and it will deliver more kinetic energy to the target -- but I don't know that it's flight path would not be affected by light brush -- I say that, but honestly I haven't used the cartridge yet. I'm just going by the ballistics on paper and anecdotal reports. I will say that I am looking seriously at getting a 6.8 upper this year, just as soon as my "toy" budget allows.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I was not even aware that you could buy a mini-14 in anything other than 223. Or the Mini-30 in the AK caliber. I will have to do some research on the Ruger website.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Yep, sure enough its on the website. Here is the picture. They list the price as $894.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
Ruger is advertising it. As of yet, it is not available from any distributor that I know of.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Yeah, that's what I'm seeing. I'd sure like to play with one.

...yeah, right...just what I need...another caliber to load for...oHHH nOOO...my life is so complicated...WARNING WILL ROBINSON, SYSTEM OVERLOAD!!!

(I dropped a line to my SalesDude at Davidsons -- let's see what he has to say)

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Wow, he's awake today -- I got a reply right away. He says they have them on order. The last ones they got were in September. No idea as to when the next ones will be in.

I put my name on the list. FYI for those who aren't familiar, Davidson's is the largest distributor of Rugers.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Since its a new caliber the price will probably be high until the sales cover the intitial demand.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
sig232 said:
Since its a new caliber the price will probably be high until the sales cover the intitial demand.
Yeah, no doubt. Remember when plasma screen TVs first came out, there were those who would pay $8,000 - $10,000 to be "first on their block"? There are shooters to whom the cost is secondary to the "WoW!" and the "I have one and you DON'T!" factor.

Honestly, I don't have a particular customer for a 6.8 Mini -- but I'm betting it doesn't stay in the safe too long! (actually I ordered 2 -- I want to play with one also!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help.I might go with the AR.When I was in the Army I found it was the sweetest shooting rifle I ever fired.There seems to be alot of manufacturer's producing many variations;are there any paticulars I should look for?

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Yeah, I love shooting ARs as well -- I have since I taught small arms in the military. I'm still planning on eventually getting a 6.8 upper for my AR -- I think it's a kick-ass caliber and I'm really wanting to see how it is against coyotes. Where I hunt it's usually >150 - 200 yd shots (often much more) and frequently windy (canyons, draws, valleys, etc.). I think it would out-perform the .223 by a mile, but then I don't compare calibers to .223 anymore. My "Cadillac" of .22 cal rounds is the .22-250 Ackley Improved, which has really stretched my reach. I have a .223WSSM that should do the same, but I can't get the damn thing on paper -- but that's another story altogether.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts