National Gun Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my .338 for hunting and I bought my 6.5 for target shooting / home defense. Now I dont have a whole lot of experience with rifles and id just like some insight from people who have experience with these calibers.

Question 1 : is there a formula to calculate ft lbs of energy at desired distance

Question 2 : max shooting distances for both calibers

·
Live Free
2,608 Posts
The 6.5 Creedmore is a very capable and accurate target rifle out to 1000 yards for the experienced shooter. I personally do not see a 6.5 Creedmore as being a reasonable home defense weapon, but it is a very useful hunting cartridge for medium and even some large game in North America. The .338 Win Mag I have no first hand experience with, but should be quite suitable for any game in North America including dangerous game for an experienced hunter.

As for calculating energy at range, I believe the Hornady Ballistic Calculator should provide useful information.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
So I bought my .338 for hunting and I bought my 6.5 for target shooting / home defense. Now I dont have a whole lot of experience with rifles and id just like some insight from people who have experience with these calibers.

Question 1 : is there a formula to calculate ft lbs of energy at desired distance

Question 2 : max shooting distances for both calibers

My advice...

Hunt with the .338....that's what you bought it for.

Target shoot with the 6.5...that's what you bought it for.

Question 1 and Question 2 can be found using any ballistics calculator.

If you would start providing more information, the answer to your questions can be resolved. Otherwise the only thing you're gonna get is generic feedback.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts