National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any good stories about using their .50 cal rifle. I have heard they are quite fun, but expensive, to play with. BTW anybody have a price on a Grizzly Big Boar 50. Cal BMG?

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Saw one sold on one of the gun TV shows recently and it went for about $7,500. in 50 cal BMG.

Lots of fun but major money and big dollars per round. Have fun if you can afford the start up costs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish. I have been looking at one at a local guns store but I think it was a browning bolt action. $3,500 for that behemoth. I still can't afford that and even if I could I couldn't shoot it as I am a college student, and they frown on the who .50 BMG in the dorm thing. O'well, one of theses days I will own it. Then I'll take out a second mortgage for the $5 a piece shells.

I really like the look of those Big Boars though so maybe I'll save a little longer and buy one of those.

Saw one sold on one of the gun TV shows recently and it went for about $7,500. in 50 cal BMG.

Lots of fun but major money and big dollars per round. Have fun if you can afford the start up costs.

·
Wyoming
4,251 Posts
I saw a scoped Barret .50 with all the gear sell for $10,000 dollars. Wow I thought a Pre-64 Mdl. 70 was expensive. I am really behind the times.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Go out and buy a nice 450 marlin guide rifle and you will have just as much fun for a lot less money. It kicks like a mule, makes lots of smoke and knocks the heck out of a steel target. Sure will impress the girls and your dorm buddies.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I had the chance to buy a single shot bolt barret with the scope for 3 grand. But as much as I wanted to buy it, I turned it down. I buy guns to shoot them, a lot. I cant afford to shoot a barret a lot. Im happy with my 1 dollar a shot .308.

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
There was a guy here that had one, he loved to shoot it. Haven't seen him for a couple years.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would love to have one, just to say I did. I will eventually but with cost of ammo I think that all I could do was say I have one.

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
Just make sure you have a place to shoot it. A 600 yard range would have to be about minimum, I'd think! 1,000 yards is about right and if you really wanna go ballistic, so to speak, a 2,500 yard range would be more fun than most things you can do with a gun!

--Wag--

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just make sure you have a place to shoot it. A 600 yard range would have to be about minimum, I'd think! 1,000 yards is about right and if you really wanna go ballistic, so to speak, a 2,500 yard range would be more fun than most things you can do with a gun!

--Wag--
That would be awesome. Just to have enough property to do that would be awesome in itself. If you could hit something at 2,500 yards other than the side of a mountain I would consider you without a doubt the best shot I know.

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
It wouldn't be me, most likely, but I'd love to give it a try.

With YOUR new rifle, that is! :)

--Wag--

·
that guy
180 Posts
18inuc.jpg
I got to shoot an M107 two years back. It was an experience I wont forget!
You can try this if your brave enough. They also have a five round mag fed version. I hear there nowhere near as accurate as a barrett, but if you have the land and the desire it’s the cheapest way I know of to shoot that caliber. I personally don’t know if I trust an ar-15 receiver that much.

Link!
http://www.safetyharborfirearms.com/products/products.html

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a Kobb before bushmaster bough them out. It was cool to shotbut angered the neighbors. Another issue was keeping the beast feed.I sold it to fund about three other gun projects. It was just a phasefor me.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
There's .50 BMG tube guns that sell for $1500 or so. Basically a barrel, weaver rail, and a bolt. Single shot, bullet must be removed to load each around, but it's still a .50.

Hand loaded .50 rounds can be as cheap as $1.50 using the bare minimum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use a Barrett .50 cal in Call of Duty all the time, I run with it (most rediculous part) and quick-scope like a beast haha

not any REAL experience though *sad face*

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a Barrett that I love to death but I can only afford to shoot it 2 or 3 times a year.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
What I don't get is how them ******** seem to shoot M2s and other belt fed automatics every day of the year without going broke.

And I'm sure if you could find a good enough gunsmith, he or she would be able to turn a desert eagle handgun into a rifle. It's still a fifty, just much cheaper to shoot :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well were not U.S. Snipers, so what is the biggest use for a civilian having a .50 cal? Hunting? What animals? Convince me to go get a .50 cal...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There are a few reasons to own a gun. 1. Self Defense 2. Sport Shooting 3. The "cool" factor. Owning a .50 BMG would probably fall under the "cool" factor.

Well were not U.S. Snipers, so what is the biggest use for a civilian having a .50 cal? Hunting? What animals? Convince me to go get a .50 cal...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts