National Gun Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some one asked me for a quote to redo an old 10ga.It was his grand fathers. It's going to be for a wall hanger. I told him 50.00 to start without seeing it. I'll be picking the gun up at the end of the month. Just want to be sure im being fair to both me and him.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,951 Posts
It depends on what it involved, what type of bluing you'll be doing and how much prep you have to do to the stock.

IMHO, $50 is a bargain for him. I would expect the price to start at $150.

Personally, I would talk him out of refinishing it and have him hang it on the wall as is. It will have more "character" and charm.

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will be a cold blue. I agree on keeping the character. When i meet up with him. We'll discuss it. He's worried about rust in the bore too. He said he shot it and it knocked him back lol.

Reactions: Northtidesix

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
To do a good quality bluing job it cost $150 and up, sometimes way up if a lot of metal prep is needed. Stock work is probably around the same price range depending on how much and what type of repairs are needed if any. Are you just going to cold blue it? If so the whole thing or just small patches?

·
Banned
79 Posts
It depends on what it involved, what type of bluing you'll be doing and how much prep you have to do to the stock.

IMHO, $50 is a bargain for him. I would expect the price to start at $150.

Personally, I would talk him out of refinishing it and have him hang it on the wall as is. It will have more "character" and charm.
+1

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll use the Burchwood Casey cold blue Kit. I have some left over from when i did the ithaca and the single shot 16ga. i tried spot blueing. Did not look right. So if i do this ill strip it down to the bare steel and do it right. I'll know more when i see it. Im going to find out if he can send me pics for now.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
I’m sending it a SXS barrel to be reblued and it’s $135. for that alone. It’s not a cold blue but rather a factory quality blueing from Precision Blueing in NC. They an do the wood also but on this gun the wood is fine. Wood work usually costs a bit more.
https://precisionbluing.com/service-pricing check them out. The owner is a real nice guy and very accessible named Mark.

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He does nice work. I was checking out the before and after pics.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
$50 to start as long as he understands pending condition of stock and current barrel condition can drive restoration UP Not a bad START, I generally charge $50 dismantle clean and give estimates of what needs to be done. If I do the work $50 comes off the bill provided the $50 is paid in advance.

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im going to get a deposit. If i take it on. The guy does not have a car nor computer. Something tells me he's a loser. He is a friend of another mocher i know. Who finally is growing up some and holding a job. Because he burnt all his bridges. Something my dad told me long ago, That seems to hold true. ''Birds of a feather flock together''.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
I normally charge $50. for a cleaning job on the old guns. If he is not going to shoot it I would repair any damage to the old guns metal and let it go at that. Minus missing parts of course. Those old timers have a bit of dignity that modern blue jobs damage. They earned their scars and have a right to them. Just my opinion.

If there is major damage to butt stock or fore end wood be careful or you will find yourself working for $ 0.11 an hour. Which is why I no longer make custom stocks for strangers.

After reading the your last post my advice is pass on this job. This sounds like the sort of situation I have found my self in over the years. Folks think their old Belgium sXs hammer gun is a rare antique. When in fact it is a $200-$300 trade (OEM) gun. It takes the same amount of time and effort to stock one of those as it does to stock a Churchill, Purdey, or Eagle Grade L.C. Smith.

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes i think i'll be passing on it too.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
Good it beats the hell out of getting burned.
:thumbsup:

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes agreed. I want to redo the barrel on the ithaca anyway. It will give me something to do.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Maybe $50 to do touch ups. Full refinishing, no way I’d agree to a project like that for less than $200 + materials. Anything less and you are underestimating the value of your time and talent.

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He asked me again about it. I told him 100.00 deposit. And any difference after im done and before he gets it back. I asked to see the gun via pics. Nadda. So i think he don't liked my terms.

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes very possible.

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well he sent me pics. Looks like quite a gun. It has sights like a rifle. Long gun too. Single shot.
IMG_1852.jpg
IMG_1853.jpg
IMG_1854.jpg
IMG_1855.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts