National Gun Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I love some of the older Smith & Wesson revolvers, and they always tempt me, but I am just afraid to buy a used gun. What if they've been dropped numerous times, cowboy-ed, or out of time? Just not very comfortable with throwing money down on a gun that I have no clue who owned it or what it's history was. Case in point, I bought a nice Smith awhile back, and it seemed to be really nice, but it had several finish issues and some rust inside and it just bugs me if I don't know who had it or where the gun came from. If it was from someone I knew or a family member, that would be different! But I just only feel comfortable buying new, particularly as a fairly new gun person.

·
5,082 Posts
Two little things for what its worth.
When I have sold a revolver, invariably the gun show buyer will produce a bible gun blue book or similar and proceed to point out every age related and book related info as would value or devalue weapon. Try to (at shows) only sell your type to those vendors selling same...and get offer AFTER you have inspected their for sale pieces well...then if they point out some negative or detriment, you can point to one of theirs and say " you mean like that "
I always carried a NEW unsharpened #2 pencil with new eraser head, so with PERMISSION I could observe firing pin action and observe pencils push out and related force. I have rarely been denied after showing rubber eraser. You would be surprised difference between 1911's response, or revolvers.
Is hard to remember at impulse time, but best to remember when buying used weapons...like a bus or a gal friend, next one along shortly.

·
5,082 Posts
I prefer to get revolvers new. A lot of folks like to copy the cop/ hero shows on TV ,

and do the "one handed cylinder flick".

Yeah, guess why all those revolvers at the pawn shop have sloppy cranes...
Good. I so agree, have ALWAYS pushed cylinder into play with weak hand, and use prescribed two finger method to hold cylinder open and aid in revolutions of reload/unload.
Also, just me I guess, never engage open slide into battery or home by lever release, but I ease slide home. I know normal release spring action not detrimental, but is just me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
One of the most common things I read: This (fill in the blank) gun gave me much trouble, so I sold it.

Buy new, and forget used guns unless you're buying from a trusted source, like a reliable friend or relative.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
For me I take a day so to speak. I pick my price, pick a few models and pound pavement...Search, search,search Along all the great advise given do not be afraid to be a whore and climb in and out of gun shops

·
Registered
318 Posts
I agree with the OP.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have made a lot of money buying used guns and selling them at a profit. Gun Broker is a great place to sell guns you really don't need to sell. If you're in no rush you'll find someone willing to offer $500 for a High-Point Pistol. I bought a G43 used for $300 and sold it for $545 on Gun Broker a couple weeks later.
Do you happen to know if you need an FFL to do this?

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
If you're flipping guns, and making a profit, you do.

Reactions: Popeye
21 - 40 of 44 Posts