National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start out by saying I do not want a child's shotgun. I'm wanting a semi-automatic shotgun to bird hunt/duck hunt with. I'm willing to spend up to about $600 or $700, but it doesn't have to cost that much. I'm 5' 2" and 110 pounds. My rifle is a Ruger compact .308 and it fits like a glove. The specs on my Ruger are Weight: 6lbs, Overall Length: 36.75", Length of Pull: 12.50". I'm definitely not getting any bigger; so I want something that will last me forever. So what do you all think?

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
24,379 Posts
My wife has a Benelli M2 20ga. shotgun and loves it. She is the same height/weight as you, so it should work well for you. The problem is the Benelli is twice your budget.

If sticking to your budget is important, I'd look at ......

CZ-USA 720 20ga.
Mossberg SA-20

....... however I don't have any experience with these models. So I can't really comment on either one.

Reactions: bph

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Semi? I think you are going to have to up your budget.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
24,379 Posts
If sticking to your budget is important, I'd look at ......

CZ-USA 720 20ga.
Mossberg SA-20

....... however I don't have any experience with these models. So I can't really comment on either one.
I should have mentioned the CZ model is approximately $425 (new) and the Mossberg is approximately $450 (new).

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,432 Posts
No matter which shotgun you choose:

Leedi is 5'2". Shotgun stocks, as they come from the manufacturer, are too long for her. She chose a Remington Model 11-87. I found an aftermarket 'child's' stock made for the gun and installed it. It now fits her and she is happy.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
24,379 Posts
Well if I would up my budget what would you suggest?

I suggest you visit a larger gun store or large sporting goods store (Cabela's) and ask to handle several 20 gauge shotguns and see which ones are comfortable to hold and which ones are not.

Reactions: Scrub oak

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Leedi is 5'2". Shotgun stocks, as they come from the manufacturer, are too long for her. She chose a Remington Model 11-87. I found an aftermarket 'child's' stock made for the gun and installed it. It now fits her and she is happy.
Excellent advice and the Remington 1100 and 1187 are great choices though they may be a bit over your budget. Its especially important with shotguns that the gun fits the shooter and most shotgun stocks have a length of pull tailored for men of normal height meaning that they won't fit most women under 5'7 A decent gunsmith can shorten the stocks length of pull and fit a recoil pad setting the gun up to custom fit you. A shotgun should come to the shoulder, point and swing naturally without having to struggle with lining the gun up.

·
Registered
159 Posts

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,432 Posts
No matter which shotgun you choose:

I should have mentioned, I shortened the barrel a little to keep the gun's balance right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts