National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an opportunity to pick up a .454 taurus casull for 400 dollars is that a good deal. I am thinking about keeping it under my seat in my car. is that a good idea, and is four hundred a good deal.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
Do you plan on hunting buffalo while riding in your automobile?

.454 Casull is a bit powerful for much less.

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts

·
55,659 Posts
Personally, I believe any Taurus, other than a gift, is overpriced.

Taurus has no effective customer service.
Their warranty service is pathetic.
Fully 20% of their firearms need work in order to function properly.

When purchasing a used Taurus product you stand a good chance of buying someone else's problem.

This is not opinion. I am the smith at a gunshop. Taurus products, by far, make up the majority of our warranty returns. After four, or more, trips back to Taurus warranty repair service without the problem being addressed, I get to attempt to make the firearm function.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the information. I have been reading other articles and reviews. you are the first to say something bad. they say taurus has a lifetime warranty on their firearms.

·
55,659 Posts
A lifetime warranty is worthless if it is not honored.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good point

good point, but why would they not honor it. arent they held liable for repairs.

·
55,659 Posts
I am not a lawyer. I do not play a lawyer on TV. I did not spend the night at a Holiday Inn Express. Therefore, I cannot answer that question.

·
Registered
201 Posts
i have an opportunity to pick up a .454 taurus casull for 400 dollars is that a good deal. I am thinking about keeping it under my seat in my car. is that a good idea, and is four hundred a good deal.
Wouldn't know. Under the car seat is concealed weapons in many states. $400 is alright, although you can almost get a brand new Taurus Raging Bull for a bit more.

·
55,659 Posts
When arming one's automobile, I believe anything larger than .45 ACP is overkill.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
My experience with Taurus has been good. But I bought mine back in the 1980's. I have a 44 special, 22 mag and a PT-22.

I broke the firing pin on the 22 a couple of years ago doing a dry firing, which the manual tells you not to do. Sent it back to the company and they fixed it and had it back to me within about three weeks.

But several on this forum have indicated that things have gone downhill with their service and reliability so I would try to get a gun checked by an expert before I bought a recent model.

There is no question that their quality is not up to par with Smith, Ruger, Colt or even Todays version of Charter Arms. I am not a big fan of Rossi either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's an answer from someone that actually owns a Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull, and who had a warranty problem. First, $400 is a good price if there is no cosmetic damage or signs of abuse.

Taurus did warranty my .454 when it developed the nasty habit of dropping the cylinder open in recoil. However, it took nearly 3 months and cost me $55 for the shipping to them. The repair worked, and I have had no other problems with the gun. It is exceptionally well fitted and accurate, on a scale better than the Ruger SRH I own. In addition, I own two other Taurus revolvers, and both have performed flawlessly for many years.

Although I was P.O.'ed about the long wait for repair, I would not hesitate to buy another RB.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I bought a Taurus Raging Bull 444 in 44 mag used from a guy I worked with. It has been perfect and in fact was the handgun I used to lower my first handgun deer. But I have talked to alot of people that have had very bad karma with Taurus and I personally am trying to avoid them a little. That is unless I see something I really like!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I cannot comment on the quality of the Taurus having never owned one, but I can give you my opinion of the 454 Casull. In my view it is one of the most poorly designed cartridges I know of. The original cases utilized small rifle primers and very long flash holes because the web in the case are very thick so as none of the case is unsupported by the walls of the cylinder. This was done to eliminate the typical bulging of the case at or near the rim when hot loading any revolver cartridge. This thick webbing reduces the capacity of the 454 case to hold only one more grain of 2400 than a modern 45 Colt case if both are filled to the top. The original loadings that allowed the 454 to be both accurate and consistent was a triplex load utilizing three different powders loaded one on top of the other. Factory loading today is H110 or Winchester 296 both of which are very sensitive to ignition which becomes a problem for the small primer and super long flash hole. I witnessed over 500+ fps difference in velocity over my chronograph from one box of 454 Casull factory ammo in my gun making for me a cartridge that is worthless for reliable performance. Starline does make brass with a normal web and flash hole that allows it to hold a lot more powder but it too utilizes that problematic little primer. I now only use 45 Colt cases and I shoot my own 335 grain cast bullet just shy of 1400 fps with great accuracy and consistent performance.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I have a gun shop far smaller than the one Popeye works in, yet I can tell you that fully 25% of the Taurii that I've sold have needed service within the first year. That includes two which I bought for myself and my wife. Ten or twelve yrs ago, if I sent a Taurus in for warranty service it was returned fixed within 2-3 wks. Now it takes upward of 7-8 wks and may or may not actually be repaired. UPS and Fedex charge approximately $35.00 each time you ship a handgun to the repair depot. Taurus doesn't reimburse that fee.

Short answer to your question: If you are one of the fortunate ones to get a Taurus that is not initially flawed, you may be getting a deal at $400.00. If not, you are paying too much. So think about how your luck runs. If you purchase lottery tickets and usually either break even or come out a few bucks ahead, you are a "lucky guy". If you purchase lottery tickets and usually win the equivalent of a year's pay or more, you are an "extraordinarily lucky guy". If you're like most of us and would do better making paper airplanes out of your currency and flying them into the storm sewer -- save your money for a higher-quality, lower-risk firearm. Finally, the last thing to consider is why your seller wants to sell (or unload) the gun for $400.00.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts