National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought quite a few boxes of .45 SPL. and not having any personal experience with it, was intrigued by it. I will admit it made me laugh on the first cylinder full.......no recoil and was a lot of fun to shoot. I will have to clean the cylinder before I run .45 Colt through it. It also leaves unburnt powder in the cylinder which I just blew out before reloading the cylinder. 180 gr. @ 475 FPS is a little anemic, but a hoot to shoot............

Anyone else shooting .45 SPL?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Haven't shot it, but as I recall it was created by a Cowboy Action Shooter in Upstate New York specifically for the purpose of toning down recoil.

·
Aim true !
10,550 Posts
I had some light loads when i was learning to load 45 colt. They were real easy on recoil. And had A lot of un -burnt powder.

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
45Sp? Never even heard of that one. Shorter 45 colt case or same case with just different loads? Not sure i see the point being you can load 45colt with a very light recoil load.

·
Aim true !
10,550 Posts
Maybe he meant 45 schofield?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Many of the cowboy action shooters especially the SASS crowd want to shoot major caliber revolvers, but strive for almost non existent recoil by loading down their cartridges with extremely light powder charges. Its a timed event where quick follow up shots are needed to attain the best scores at each stage of a match. They want to shoot the guns of the old west without the reality of the recoil produced by the original loadings.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I remember here in Hill City, SD. They would have a Cowboy shoot out show on main street for tourists.
One time somebody goofed up. Loaded live rounds. Several people got shot. I remember one lady's comment in the news paper: "I couldn't believe it. I got shot!" .... Must have been light loads like this.

·
Super Moderator
14,344 Posts
When I want less recoil, I slip the 45 ACP cylinder in and shoot light cast lead loads.

Alan

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
Ok so i googled it. One thing about this hobby is there is always more to learn. It's just a short version even shorter then the schofield.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I remember here in Hill City, SD. They would have a Cowboy shoot out show on main street for tourists.
One time somebody goofed up. Loaded live rounds. Several people got shot. I remember one lady's comment in the news paper: "I couldn't believe it. I got shot!" .... Must have been light loads like this.
Those weren't cowboy action shooters, they were rein actors and not well trained at all regarding ammo. In all the events where blank ammo is used that I'm aware of. Rein actors use hollywood 4in1 blank ammo in their guns. This is a requirment. There is no way these can be confused with real ammo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts