National Gun Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to reload .45 long colt. Anyone know of any good loads, places for cheap brass and accessories for reloading would be helpful too.

Thanks

·
Registered
582 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I like Graf's and Sons for reloading equipment and supplies:

Dies: Graf & Sons - 45 Colt (Long Colt) / 454 Casull / 455 Webley?
Cases: Graf & Sons - 45 Long Colt?
Bullets: Graf & Sons - 45 Caliber (.451 - .454)?

Your 45LC is one of the best candidates for reloading because the factory supply of that cartridge varys due to manufacturers demand on their other cartridges. As matter of fact, twice or more in the last 10 years the 45LC was almost impossible to find on the shelf!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What powder and amount do you use for reloading? I can't use anything too hot because my rifle is Not rated for +P.

I've been looking everywhere for reload charts on the .45 LC and can't find any.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And also, what velocity is it considered to be a +P round? I'm hoping to go deer hi ting with my Circuit Judge and want to go as hot as possible without taking it to +P.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
6,676 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Win231, thanks that really helps me out a lot! None of my reloading books have anything on .45 LC. But how do I know that the round isn't too hot to shoot through my gun?

Deputy, that also really helps. The only thing is I'm trying to stay away from full lead bullets. I'm looking for jacketed.

Thank you all!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Win231, thanks that really helps me out a lot! None of my reloading books have anything on .45 LC. But how do I know that the round isn't too hot to shoot through my gun?

Deputy, that also really helps. The only thing is I'm trying to stay away from full lead bullets. I'm looking for jacketed.

Thank you all!
If it doesn't say "+P" or "Maximum Load," it's a standard load. Also, most load data indicates seperate loads for certain guns due to their stronger design. It will usually say something like, "The following loads are for Ruger firearms only." Another indication is the velocity listed. Standard 45 Colt loads generate 750-900 fps with bullets weighing around 250 grains.

By the way, "Trail Boss" is a great powder for large cases like the 45 Colt. It's impossible to double charge a case because a standard powder charge nearly fills it up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really want to find out how Buffalo Bore loads their SAAMI approved rounds. I'm really impressed at what FPS and muzzle energy they can achieve from theirs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looking to reload .45 long colt. Anyone know of any good loads, places for cheap brass and accessories for reloading would be helpful too.

Thanks
Well I reload for .45 LC but not sure my loads will help you. I load 3f Black Powder in my .45 LC. I have the cartridge conversion cylinders for the Pietta Remington .44 C&B revolver and shoot the .45 out of them. Load is easy 40 grains of black powder behind a 255-grain bullet. I don't shoot mouse fart loads....

·
Aim true !
11,835 Posts
Old post. But i like 8 grains of unique.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
"I've been looking everywhere for reload charts on the .45 LC and can't find any."

"None of my reloading books have anything on .45 LC. But how do I know that the round isn't too hot to shoot through my gun?"

Does anyone else suspect that back - 9 years ago - when this discussion was initiated, that "Gvnam (OP author) may have found what he needed in his "alleged reloading books" IF he had used the correct ".45 Colt/Colt .45" cartridge designations, rather than "45 long colt"? None of my 5 manuals list reloading tables under "45 long colt", specifically. And the term is mostly contained in parenthesis if it's mentioned at all.

·
AZHerper
4,601 Posts
Old post. But i like 8 grains of unique.
Don't use fast powders like unique in big cases like 45 Colt, It's easy to double charge or worse. Only 8 grains is a fraction of the case capacity (which is up around 40 grains). Also, it's 45 Colt not 45 Long Colt or 45 LC. This has been misused for so long even some "pros" use it but it's still wrong.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
I have to disagree. I use almost 90% of the time, 8.0 grains of Unique in my .45 Colt cartridges. The case mouth is exceptionally large and quite easy to eye-ball to determine if an improper over, and more importantly, under-charge has occured. An appreciable over or double charge would not allow me to seat my 255 to 263 grain lead semi-wadcutters. I'd be compressing the powder. 8.0 grains of Unique has been the unofficial "standard reload powder charge" for .45 Colt for almost 6 decades of my reloading. I am much more leery of under-charges and possible "detonation", singular!

I do agree whole-heartedly that referring to the .45 Coot as a "long colt", to satisfy 2 or 3 axle-rods who may shoot Schofields, which are not a Colt's, is a real "dude-speak practice". I suspect Phil Spangenberger brought the term ".45 Long Colt" into being when he was a gun magazine writer back in the early 1970's. Read the roll-impressed writing in a Colt .45 SAA barrel or the cartridge head-stamp. There's no "long colt's" in either place.

·
AZHerper
4,601 Posts
I have to disagree. I use almost 90% of the time, 8.0 grains of Unique in my .45 Colt cartridges. The case mouth is exceptionally large and quite easy to eye-ball to determine if an improper over, and more importantly, under-charge has occured. An appreciable over or double charge would not allow me to seat my 255 to 263 grain lead semi-wadcutters. I'd be compressing the powder. 8.0 grains of Unique has been the unofficial "standard reload powder charge" for .45 Colt for almost 6 decades of my reloading. I am much more leery of under-charges and possible "detonation", singular!

I do agree whole-heartedly that referring to the .45 Coot as a "long colt", to satisfy 2 or 3 axle-rods who may shoot Schofields, which are not a Colt's, is a real "dude-speak practice". I suspect Phil Spangenberger brought the term ".45 Long Colt" into being when he was a gun magazine writer back in the early 1970's. Read the roll-impressed writing in a Colt .45 SAA barrel or the cartridge head-stamp. There's no "long colt's" in either place.
[/QU

I'm probably a little over goosy about double charging.
OTE]

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Over-charging with say, Bullseye, would be disastrous! Any of the extremely fast powders that are target purposed to provide the shortest duration pressure punch can pose over-pressure problems for those who are not vigilant during "powder throwing".

Unique is "bulky flaked" enough that it fills the case almost to the bottom of my seated bullets.

·
AZHerper
4,601 Posts
Over-charging with say, Bullseye, would be disastrous! Any of the extremely fast powders that are target purposed to provide the shortest duration pressure punch can pose over-pressure problems for those who are not vigilant during "powder throwing".

Unique is "bulky flaked" enough that it fills the case almost to the bottom of my seated bullets.
That's true! Unique is rather "unique" in that regard. In any event, you clearly get my point. Thanks for your explanation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts