National Gun Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Associate Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some information, as this subject is nowhere to be found anywhere on the Internet that i've seen.

What are the differences, if any, between the regular round barrel for the Marlin 1895 and the Marlin 1895 with the octagonal barrel?

Do the octagonal barrels have any downsides, such as not being able to handle high pressure loads? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,413 Posts
As far as I know they are identical except for exterior contour.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I would think the only two differences are the look and weight of the barrel. Both will be made of the same quality, modern steel and the rifling will be the same in both.

·
Displaced Hillbilly
104 Posts
Octagon barrels have a much higher "Cool" factor. :)

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
If it is going to be a range gun, get the octo, it looks nicer. If you are going to carry it in the woods, consider the round barrel for its lighter weight.

·
Associate Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information. I just purchased the Marlin 1895 Cowboy, and it is one of the best shooting rifles I have ever shot. It handles the "hot" loads quite nicely, and is quite a bit more accurate than people have stated on the internet. I've made some clean shots around 200 yards with not too much bullet drop, using the Hornady LeverEvolution 325 Grain bullets. I may be a sissy, but adding the limbsaver has made this gun even more pleasant to shoot in my book, haha.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I might be mistaken, but isn't the octagonal barrel modeled to look like a gun from back in the late 19th century? Perhaps a Winchester?

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,413 Posts
Perhaps, a Marlin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts