National Gun Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
I just tested 22.0gr of IMR4227 with 240gr Berry’s FP. That load is the min starting load for FMJ. Results are below.

Henry 20” barrel
Round 1: 1468
Round 2: 1532
Round 3: 1537

69fps variance, Avg1512 fps = 1218 ft lbs of energy.

Ruger Super Blackhawk 10.5” barrel
Round 1: 1308
Round 2: 1318
Round 3: 1284

34 fps variance, Avg 1304 fps = 906 ft lbs of energy.

These were very dirty with powder fouling, however, they are performing on par or better with much of the factory ammo out there.

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Jewellery Automotive lighting Circle

I have a lot of .44 mag loaded for the Henry. I think I’m going to go ahead and load these up with the Super Blackhawk in mind. They were a very comfortable one hand load, especially with that Bisley grip I put on it, still generating over 900 ft lbs. They’ll work just fine in the Henry.

I have about 6 lbs of Lil’ Gun still on my shelf and maybe 3lbs of H110 but these both produce some pretty hot loads, both in temp and energy. Think I’m going to leave those sit on the shelf for now.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
been many years since i reloaded 44 mag....can not remember the exact load but it was a book load with UNIQUE.....but back then, i purty much used Unique for most everything...

played for a while with some 2400 for upper end loads in 44 and 357.......but purty much concluded the Unique loads were getting the job done with less drama.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
been many years since i reloaded 44 mag....can not remember the exact load but it was a book load with UNIQUE.....but back then, i purty much used Unique for most everything...

played for a while with some 2400 for upper end loads in 44 and 357.......but purty much concluded the Unique loads were getting the job done with less drama.
I love Unique for virtually every pistol caliber… almost. Problem is I’ve been sitting on my last 4lbs for a year and have yet to see any since I cut myself off. Keeping it for a rainy day.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
on the other end......how are the 44 specials working out for accuracy in the henry?
Took my middle boy on his second day of youth shotgun season. Didn’t want to, tried talking him out of it for a min then just realized he would regret not going, so I packed us up and headed out. Got soaked in rain before we even got to the stand. We sat there until he’d had enough.

On the way out of town, we followed little brother home. Said he had some brass he bought at auction (actually he said, “I bought you some brass at auction”. He doesn’t have any of these calibers.) Among those were 117x .44 mag, 98x .45 Colt and 184x .44 special. Offered him $60 and brought them home. I remembered your comment above so I thought I’d tell you, were going to find out.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts