National Gun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Live Free
3,882 Posts
240 grain with 24 grains H110 is hard to beat. You want to work up to it, but it is really hard to beat H110 in 44 Mag. I could not even guess how much H110 I have used over the years...used to shoot a lot of .44 Mag. AA#9 is pretty good too, and Lil Gun works admirably too. I was just out shooting my 1894 earlier today. It performs really well with N110 using 180 grain XTP’s, but 240 on top of 24 grains H110 is just sweet. Super Blackhawk likes em too. (y)

·
Live Free
3,882 Posts
I will tell you this much, that 44 magnum Henry used to pur like a kitten when firing factory ammo. She kicked like a donkey with those Lil’ Gun loads. I had a heavy leather biker jacket on and the extra zip out coat liner in it and felt it the kick. I’m considering stepping outside my norm and getting some FMJs just for hot 44s. I liked her spunk.
You said you used 23.8 of LilGun? Where did you get the data from?

·
Live Free
3,882 Posts
Ok, I think I know what happened. Earlier I was testing 230gr 45 ACP bullets in 45 Colt. I loaded 2 then grabbed one from the batch with 250gr bullets to compare. Well... the 44 mags are right next to the 45 Colt box and they are identical. It’s entirely possible I fired a 44 mag from my Ruger Bisley 45 Colt cylinder. I took count of the 45 Colt brass on my table. I only see 2. I know I fired 3. It’s the only explanation I can come up with.

I thought nothing of it when I fired it because I was expecting 1,000 FPS and it clocked at 1,003 FPS.

Edit: that has to be what happened. The brass is too large for the 44 chamber. Ruger has earned a customer for life. I got lucky.
I would put that case somewhere visible when you reload to remind yourself how close you came...most all other .45 Colt revolvers would likely have failed considering the extra room allowed for the expansion to get a little momentum going before the cylinder walls contained the pressure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts