National Gun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would you feel safer carrying as backup on a large black bear hunt. The ole 45 LC can be loaded pretty hot in a solid Ruger frame with Garrett ammo to handle about anything in North America.

Do you think that the 45 LC is any match for the 44 mag??

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We do have a lot of options to choose from today. Ruger 480, the 454s, S&W 500 and a few others.

I remember when I bought my first Ruger 44 mag with the 7" barrel. I thought that thing was a cannon!

My neighbor wanted to shoot it and so I told him, "make sure you lock your elbows!" I looked the other way for a few seconds and he fired the gun, without his elbows locked and the hammer hit him right between the eyes. Made a nasty gash and he bled like a stuck pig! It was not a pretty sight!

Now today we have pistols with a lot more power than that old 44! I wonder how many people get injuries by not watching out for that recoil??

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
CorBon puts out some .45 Colt "Magnum" rounds that show ballistics that equal or better the .44 Magnum. Of course you are limited in the guns which can handle these. The bullet weights are 265 gr HP, 300 gr and 305 gr lead solids, hardcast IIRC. Does a bullet with a diameter of .452" vs one with .429" make a big difference? If I needed something in a hand gun, that had pretty much the ultimate power, I think I'd go with the S&W X-frame in .460 S&W - then you could shoot .45 Colt, .454 Casul or the .460 S&W Magnum loads - three levels of power. The only draw back is the size and weight of the revolver - at slightly over 6lbs, it's not much lighter than a rifle, but of course it's a lot handier being a smaller package. .480 Ruger sounds interesting, also.

·
Big Honkin' Daddy
1,247 Posts
leeindy said:
is 454 an option so i can shoot 45 long colt too.
+1 the 454 is even more brutal than the beloved .44 mag, but the .45 LC is a much more accurate round at closer ranges.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Around here we have a lot of hog hunters and we also have more .45c revolvers tore up than anything else. Why these guys think they have to load them so hot I don't know. It don't take a stick of dynamite to kill a hog. If you want .44mag power buy one. The 45colt is a great round on it's own. They both will kill hogs with out going nuts at the loading bench. ;)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Baldy said:
Around here we have a lot of hog hunters and we also have more .45c revolvers tore up than anything else. Why these guys think they have to load them so hot I don't know. It don't take a stick of dynamite to kill a hog. If you want .44mag power buy one. The 45colt is a great round on it's own. They both will kill hogs with out going nuts at the loading bench. ;)

Makes a lot of sense to me!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Here's my current favorite .45 Colt. Factory manual says it's OK with +P ammo. 220 gr Winchester SilverTips shown with it.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Have you read Taffin regarding the capabilities of the .45 Colt? Very interesting point of view: http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt45lc.htm

That website has much info about other big bores, too.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
The 45 Colt definitely has some powerhouse loads available for it from specialty sources. The 44 mag can be found all over though and I think if you check those same specialty sources you can find some brutal 44 loads as well. I am not knocking Mr Colt. I have killed deer with it and a lightning bolt couldn't have lowered the deer any quicker. I am just glad I have both, I guess.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 45 Colt definitely has some powerhouse loads available for it from specialty sources. The 44 mag can be found all over though and I think if you check those same specialty sources you can find some brutal 44 loads as well. I am not knocking Mr Colt. I have killed deer with it and a lightning bolt couldn't have lowered the deer any quicker. I am just glad I have both, I guess.

Both is good! I love it when you can own as many calibers as possible and pick and choose which one to shoot or carry.:thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts