National Gun Forum banner

41 Magnum Load Development

8K views 66 replies 10 participants last post by  ibm6069 
#1 ·
Calling all gurus... this is one caliber I will admit, I know little about. On top of that, I have 3 very different bullets. I’m not very educated on loading lead bullets so this thread should be a learning curve for me. I’ve done very little in the way of loading non-jacketed bullets and none in the way of semi-wadcutters. That’s one profile I’ve avoided until now.

First is the 215gr hard cast semi-wadcutter. This appears to be an ordinary hard cast bullet at .411 diameter.

Next is a 210gr semi-wadcutter. Also hard cast but cast with a slightly lighter alloy. Bullet is .410 diameter and is a little longer than the ones above.

Last but certainly not least, is a Sierra 210gr JHC (Jacketed Hollow Cavity). Some type of SP/HP hybrid.

All of these bullets are new to me so feel free to dive in with your knowledge and lend a hand. Your input is greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#46 ·
Ok, so the scoop on the .41 special. First, the .41 magnum dies are too deep to flare the case. I used a 40 S&W die for the test rounds but I don’t think it’s a solution due to how the flare looked. I’ll have to find another 41 die or find another in my stash that’ll work.

I loaded 3x 210gr lino cast bullets. Since there is no available load data, the round doesn’t technically exist, I read through the 41 magnum data and made some adjustments based on case volume. .41 magnum shows 19.8-22.0gr of H110. I clocked my existing 215gr bullets as a point of reference ~1728 fps.

I measured out 19gr and 22gr and dumped them into two cases and looked at the volume difference. Taking the case volume and case length into consideration, I thought 19gr would probably be close to max so I deducted another 1gr and loaded 3rds at 18gr of H110. The results are below.

Round 1: 1623 FPS
Round 2: 1625 FPS
Round 3: 1608 FPS

I need to test some accuracy but based on the similar powder charge to case volume and similar (but stable) speeds. I’m going to call that first run a success.

#47 ·
What you need is a LEE universal neck expander die. I have a set of 44 mag/special dies and they won't flare the special cases enough, they just barely ever so slightly flare the case but not enough to seat a cast bullet. There may be another that i have to use it on too plus i use it all the time to flare rifle cases when loading cast bullet.....Even though you don't do it now you probably will at some point! A very handy die to have kicking around on your bench. It will do everything from 22-45 cal. Very simple to use too.
Lee Universal Neck Expanding Die

Reactions: Philmo11
#49 ·
What you need is a LEE universal neck expander die. I have a set of 44 mag/special dies and they won't flare the special cases enough, they just barely ever so slightly flare the case but not enough to seat a cast bullet. There may be another that i have to use it on too plus i use it all the time to flare rifle cases when loading cast bullet.....Even though you don't do it now you probably will at some point! A very handy die to have kicking around on your bench. It will do everything from 22-45 cal. Very simple to use too.
Lee Universal Neck Expanding Die
ordered

#50 ·
I need to start getting commission.... 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Philmo11
#53 ·
😮WoW!😮 Do you have a will made out yet?

#54 · (Edited)
No but I got a couple thousand revolver rounds primed, resized and ready to load. .41 spl, .41 mag, .44 mag and 460 mag. Had to borrow little brother’s 460 dies to prep the cases. Mine aren’t here yet.

Let me tell you something, when you accidentally dump a couple hundred 41 mag in on top of 44 mag. It’s not so easy to separate. I had to, for the most part, read every head stamp.

Looks like my universal expander already shipped, along with the bullets for the 460.

#57 ·
I just tested 225gr coated Missouri Bullets, hardness 18 with 19.0gr of IMR4227.

There is nothing in my book specifically for 225gr bullets but the load data for cast 220gr and 245gr lead bullets is the same, 18.0c - 20.0c. I am assuming because 20.0 gr is the most you can safely get inside the case.

Results are on par with the other crushed loads I’ve tried with this powder. Plenty of powder fouling but very consistent velocities from a 20” barrel.

Round 1: 1540 fps
Round 2: 1547 fps
Round 3: 1556 fps

Body jewelry Liquid Cylinder Automotive tire Asphalt

As much as I dislike excessive powder fouling, the consistency in burn and pressure trump powder fouling.

#58 ·
Got 248 of those before I ran out of the Missouri bullets. Now it’s either Sierra 210gr JHC or Hornady 210gr XTP. No more lead cast left.

Aluminium foil Foil Electric blue Plastic Automotive exterior

Think I might just experiment with the Sierras. I only have 97 of those left, 19 magnum brass and maybe 50 special brass. I hate to crack open 400 XTPs for such a small amount of brass.

#61 ·
I could see that. I need a revolver for .41. I don’t really see it as a lesser .44. It’s a happy medium between .357 and .44.

The second try for Sierra 210 JHC with 20.5gr IMR4227 produced the following from the 20” Henry…

Round 1: 1600 fps
Round 2: 1619 fps
Round 3: 1613 fps

I don’t think I could have called that closer. Really tightened up the velocity spread too.

#62 ·
I am still pondering the .41 special load. With H110, I reduced the 41 mag max load by 4.0gr. If I do that with the IMR 4227, that put it at 17.5gr vs the 18.0gr of H110. Two things to note though, while the charge weighs are very close, the IMR 4227 loads are crushed loads. Second, the IMR 4227 loads are marginally higher pressure than H110 by 1,500 CUP at both the top and bottom of the load ranges. Probably sleep on it and look again tomorrow.

#63 ·
Well, this is the second time if entered this information…

I tried Lil’ Gun instead of 4227. The max load for 41 magnum was 22.5c with a lower pressure of 29,000 cup. Significantly lower than 4227 by 21%. I reduced the load by 4.0gr to bring the powder level down to a compatible level in the 41 special brass. The results were undesirable…

Lets start with the bullets maximum published velocity of 1300 fps. I can expect that at the same pressure with a slow burning powder to increase a 1300 FPS load to 1500 fps from a 20” barrel. That’s to be expected. The 1600 FPS loads above are pushing that envelope. When compared to the published velocities for 41 mag in the book, reduced load and the shorter cartridge I expected 1500 fps min and 1600 fps max.

210gr Sierra JHC test rounds from the Henry 20” 18.5gr of Lil’ Gun

Round 1: 1616
Round 2: 1698
Round 3: 1794

Every shot exceeded my expected velocity. 1800fps is way faster than I expected. According to the book, it takes about 3.0gr of powder to make that kind of difference in velocity from low to high end of the data.

Combine the velocity of that last round and the bullet jump from the shorter case and it left me a present in the chamber.

Jewellery Natural material Circle Metal Asphalt

Body jewelry Jewellery Natural material Nickel Wood

That be the jacket south of the roll crimp. The jacket on the back side of the bullet left with the bullet.

#64 ·
Ok, now I am thoroughly confused. What I thought was max velocity was max BC at velocity. That was my mistake. I can’t find anywhere where Sierra makes an actual max velocity claim. The load data site is showing loads with this bullet routinely over 1600 fps and even breaking 1800 fps. If that’s true, this bullet should not have come apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.