National Gun Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I backed the crimp off and dropped the seater in the die to seat the bullet without a crimp. They all came out perfect. It’s definitely the crimp portion of the die.

On that note, who has a 41 magnum revolver still? I need to know what it is and how long the cylinder is. Unfortunately, I don’t feel all that comfortable seating the lino bullets deeper than 1.665” which is over max OAL. They are a tad too long for the Henry at that length. If they will work in a revolver, then I’ll go ahead and load them up. If not, I’ll set them aside for another purpose.
I own 3 . S&W Model 58 Ruger BlackHawk Ruger RedHawk (my daily carry now) Do you still want to know cylinder length's?

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Starline finally had some 41 special brass in stock. I ordered 500. This will work for the lino type bullets that are too long to chamber in 41 magnum brass.

In addition, I got some more bullets for the 41 magnum brass.

Does not specify max velocity on the site either

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Ok, so the scoop on the .41 special. First, the .41 magnum dies are too deep to flare the case. I used a 40 S&W die for the test rounds but I don’t think it’s a solution due to how the flare looked. I’ll have to find another 41 die or find another in my stash that’ll work.

I loaded 3x 210gr lino cast bullets. Since there is no available load data, the round doesn’t technically exist, I read through the 41 magnum data and made some adjustments based on case volume. .41 magnum shows 19.8-22.0gr of H110. I clocked my existing 215gr bullets as a point of reference ~1728 fps.

I measured out 19gr and 22gr and dumped them into two cases and looked at the volume difference. Taking the case volume and case length into consideration, I thought 19gr would probably be close to max so I deducted another 1gr and loaded 3rds at 18gr of H110. The results are below.

Round 1: 1623 FPS
Round 2: 1625 FPS
Round 3: 1608 FPS

I need to test some accuracy but based on the similar powder charge to case volume and similar (but stable) speeds. I’m going to call that first run a success.

·
Registered
15,345 Posts
What you need is a LEE universal neck expander die. I have a set of 44 mag/special dies and they won't flare the special cases enough, they just barely ever so slightly flare the case but not enough to seat a cast bullet. There may be another that i have to use it on too plus i use it all the time to flare rifle cases when loading cast bullet.....Even though you don't do it now you probably will at some point! A very handy die to have kicking around on your bench. It will do everything from 22-45 cal. Very simple to use too.
Lee Universal Neck Expanding Die

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
What you need is a LEE universal neck expander die. I have a set of 44 mag/special dies and they won't flare the special cases enough, they just barely ever so slightly flare the case but not enough to seat a cast bullet. There may be another that i have to use it on too plus i use it all the time to flare rifle cases when loading cast bullet.....Even though you don't do it now you probably will at some point! A very handy die to have kicking around on your bench. It will do everything from 22-45 cal. Very simple to use too.
Lee Universal Neck Expanding Die
ordered

·
Registered
15,345 Posts
I need to start getting commission.... 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
15,345 Posts
😮WoW!😮 Do you have a will made out yet?

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
No but I got a couple thousand revolver rounds primed, resized and ready to load. .41 spl, .41 mag, .44 mag and 460 mag. Had to borrow little brother’s 460 dies to prep the cases. Mine aren’t here yet.

Let me tell you something, when you accidentally dump a couple hundred 41 mag in on top of 44 mag. It’s not so easy to separate. I had to, for the most part, read every head stamp.

Looks like my universal expander already shipped, along with the bullets for the 460.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I just tested 225gr coated Missouri Bullets, hardness 18 with 19.0gr of IMR4227.

There is nothing in my book specifically for 225gr bullets but the load data for cast 220gr and 245gr lead bullets is the same, 18.0c - 20.0c. I am assuming because 20.0 gr is the most you can safely get inside the case.

Results are on par with the other crushed loads I’ve tried with this powder. Plenty of powder fouling but very consistent velocities from a 20” barrel.

Round 1: 1540 fps
Round 2: 1547 fps
Round 3: 1556 fps

Body jewelry Liquid Cylinder Automotive tire Asphalt

As much as I dislike excessive powder fouling, the consistency in burn and pressure trump powder fouling.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Got 248 of those before I ran out of the Missouri bullets. Now it’s either Sierra 210gr JHC or Hornady 210gr XTP. No more lead cast left.

Aluminium foil Foil Electric blue Plastic Automotive exterior

Think I might just experiment with the Sierras. I only have 97 of those left, 19 magnum brass and maybe 50 special brass. I hate to crack open 400 XTPs for such a small amount of brass.

·
AZHerper
5,027 Posts
I always like my S&W Model 57 although the foam in my presentation case disintegrated. It was fun to shoot but a lot of people viewed it as the lesser stepchild of the .44 Mag.

·
Last Stand on Earth
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
210gr Sierra with 19.3gr (crushed min load) from 20” Henry.

Round 1: 1552
Round 2: 1494
Round 3: 1533

Think I’m going to bump it to 20.5 gr and leave it there (21.5gr max). Should bring this load in right around 1600-1615 fps or ~1,200 ft lbs from that Henry.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts